How do i uninstall Wndows xp.



suicidal-kid
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
I really messed this up for my self. I got this SATA drive off newegg, and
when i put it in to get windows on it, it would not be detected. So i got one
of my crappy hdd's and tosed it in, got windows on it and everything. So the
next day, i realized what i did wrong with the SATA drive, i did not install
the drivers during Windows intallation, So using the same cd, i put windows
on that one. I stupidly activated windows on the crap drive, so i could not
activate it on the SATA drive. On the phone, they told me to either spend
another 150 and get a new cd, or uninstall windows. So yea, there is no way
im going to spend 150 on something that i already have. So my question is
this, how do i uninstall windows xp(pro, if it makes a difference) if i don't
have any other operating systems on the hard drive. Thanks.

Maurice N ~ MVP
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
If you can, put the HD (where you want to remove Windows XP) as a secondary drive (let's say the 2nd HD connection on motherboard).
Keep the HD with the "good / to-keep" Windows as the 1st (boot) drive, bring up Windows, and then you should be able to use Disk Manager to delete the partition on the "removal" HD [excuse my terms <g> ]

I'm assuming the crap drive has nothing but XP ( no personal documents to save).
Your "keep" HD would be Disk 0.
Your crap drive would be Disk 1.

From the RUN option, type in
COMPMGMT.MSC

Once into Computer managament, select Disk Management

Select highlight Disk 1. (Assuming there is only 1 partition on that drive) Delete that partition. This effectively removes XP off that drive.

If prompted to re-activate again, and to call, all you need to say is that you upgraded hardware.
HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

"suicidal-kid" wrote
>I really messed this up for my self. I got this SATA drive off newegg, and
> when i put it in to get windows on it, it would not be detected. So i got one
> of my crappy hdd's and tosed it in, got windows on it and everything. So the
> next day, i realized what i did wrong with the SATA drive, i did not install
> the drivers during Windows intallation, So using the same cd, i put windows
> on that one. I stupidly activated windows on the crap drive, so i could not
> activate it on the SATA drive. On the phone, they told me to either spend
> another 150 and get a new cd, or uninstall windows. So yea, there is no way
> im going to spend 150 on something that i already have. So my question is
> this, how do i uninstall windows xp(pro, if it makes a difference) if i don't
> have any other operating systems on the hard drive. Thanks.

suicidal-kid
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
And by doing this, will i be able to activate windows on the good hard drive,
because right now i can'. The CD key is in use.

John
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
suicidal-kid wrote:
> And by doing this, will i be able to activate windows on the good hard drive,
> because right now i can'. The CD key is in use.

No

John
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
suicidal-kid wrote:

> I really messed this up for my self. I got this SATA drive off newegg, and
> when i put it in to get windows on it, it would not be detected. So i got one
> of my crappy hdd's and tosed it in, got windows on it and everything. So the
> next day, i realized what i did wrong with the SATA drive, i did not install
> the drivers during Windows intallation, So using the same cd, i put windows
> on that one. I stupidly activated windows on the crap drive, so i could not
> activate it on the SATA drive. On the phone, they told me to either spend
> another 150 and get a new cd, or uninstall windows. So yea, there is no way
> im going to spend 150 on something that i already have. So my question is
> this, how do i uninstall windows xp(pro, if it makes a difference) if i don't
> have any other operating systems on the hard drive. Thanks.

You need a clone program (Norton Ghost or similar). Once you have
cloned the old drive to the new you may need to do a fixmbr and possibly
a fixboot.

John

Maurice N ~ MVP
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
You can proceed with the activation process, though you're likely to be prompted to call.
Tell them you have finished a hardware upgrade. period. And that the other HD has been wiped.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

"suicidal-kid" wrote
> And by doing this, will i be able to activate windows on the good hard drive,
> because right now i can'. The CD key is in use.

John
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
suicidal-kid wrote:

> I really messed this up for my self. I got this SATA drive off newegg, and
> when i put it in to get windows on it, it would not be detected. So i got one
> of my crappy hdd's and tosed it in, got windows on it and everything. So the
> next day, i realized what i did wrong with the SATA drive, i did not install
> the drivers during Windows intallation, So using the same cd, i put windows
> on that one. I stupidly activated windows on the crap drive, so i could not
> activate it on the SATA drive. On the phone, they told me to either spend
> another 150 and get a new cd, or uninstall windows. So yea, there is no way
> im going to spend 150 on something that i already have. So my question is
> this, how do i uninstall windows xp(pro, if it makes a difference) if i don't
> have any other operating systems on the hard drive. Thanks.

Oh and by the way, as you have discovered, XP needs software drivers to
access SATA drives. Install the SATA as a slave and apply the drivers
for it before cloning.

John

suicidal-kid
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Im sorry for my lack of knowege, but what will happen if i formated my SATA
drive and just drag and drop all of my bad drive in on to the new one? Will
that work.

John
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
suicidal-kid wrote:

> Im sorry for my lack of knowege, but what will happen if i formated my SATA
> drive and just drag and drop all of my bad drive in on to the new one? Will
> that work.

No


How do i uninstall Wndows xp.