USB conflict/unknown device won't uninstall



JaR
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I have a head scratcher. One of my users has a generic P4 XP Sp2 box that
won't detect USB devices. Tried a printer and a camera. Device manager
shows a conflicted "unknown device" Expanding this shows three conflicted
usb controllers. Disconnected all devices, booted into safe mode,
uninstalled the devices, uninstalled the unconflicted usb devices, looked
for and stopped any running processes that I thought might have any bearing
on the matter.(A lexmark exe for example) Checked the start menu to make
sure nothing weird was loading. Rebooted, and bingo they come right back.
The box is clean, no spyware or goofy software installed that I could find.

I've been googling and reading posts in here for the last couple of hours
and can't seem to find any info. Anybody have this happen? How did you fix
it?

Thanks;

--
JR Jones
Remove hat to reply
*This Space For Rent*

Alan
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
JaR wrote:
> I have a head scratcher. One of my users has a generic P4 XP Sp2 box that
> won't detect USB devices. Tried a printer and a camera. Device manager
> shows a conflicted "unknown device" Expanding this shows three conflicted
> usb controllers. Disconnected all devices, booted into safe mode,
> uninstalled the devices, uninstalled the unconflicted usb devices, looked
> for and stopped any running processes that I thought might have any bearing
> on the matter.(A lexmark exe for example) Checked the start menu to make
> sure nothing weird was loading. Rebooted, and bingo they come right back.
> The box is clean, no spyware or goofy software installed that I could find.
>
> I've been googling and reading posts in here for the last couple of hours
> and can't seem to find any info. Anybody have this happen? How did you fix
> it?
>
> Thanks;
>

after a re-boot - are the drivers for the USB controllers staying put?
Have you looked in Windows updates for updated drivers? Perhaps evan
look for BIOS updates from the MB maker.

G.R.
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
"JaR" <jrtrilby@lakabux.com> wrote in message
news:Xns968CACE0259E1jrtrilbylakabuxcom@207.46.248.16...
>I have a head scratcher. One of my users has a generic P4 XP Sp2 box that
> won't detect USB devices. Tried a printer and a camera. Device manager
> shows a conflicted "unknown device" Expanding this shows three conflicted
> usb controllers. Disconnected all devices, booted into safe mode,
> uninstalled the devices, uninstalled the unconflicted usb devices, looked
> for and stopped any running processes that I thought might have any
> bearing
> on the matter.(A lexmark exe for example) Checked the start menu to make
> sure nothing weird was loading. Rebooted, and bingo they come right back.
> The box is clean, no spyware or goofy software installed that I could
> find.
>
> I've been googling and reading posts in here for the last couple of hours
> and can't seem to find any info. Anybody have this happen? How did you fix
> it?
>
> Thanks;
>
> --
> JR Jones
> Remove hat to reply
> *This Space For Rent*
Try this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B310575

JaR
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware, Alan spewed across the ether:

>> I have a head scratcher. One of my users has a generic P4 XP Sp2 box
>> that won't detect USB devices. Tried a printer and a camera. Device
>> manager shows a conflicted "unknown device" Expanding this shows
>> three conflicted usb controllers. Disconnected all devices, booted
>> into safe mode, uninstalled the devices, uninstalled the unconflicted
>> usb devices, looked for and stopped any running processes that I
>> thought might have any bearing on the matter.(A lexmark exe for
>> example) Checked the start menu to make sure nothing weird was
>> loading. Rebooted, and bingo they come right back. The box is clean,
>> no spyware or goofy software installed that I could find.
>>
>> I've been googling and reading posts in here for the last couple of
>> hours and can't seem to find any info. Anybody have this happen? How
>> did you fix it?
>>
>> Thanks;
>>
>
> after a re-boot - are the drivers for the USB controllers staying put?
> Have you looked in Windows updates for updated drivers? Perhaps
> evan
> look for BIOS updates from the MB maker.
>

Yes. Even after I uninstalled everthing USB, I rebooted and they came back.
Yes, the first thing I tried was updating the drivers. I was thinking the
same thing about updated firmware for the BIOS, but was hoping someone had
a solution I had missed.

--
JaR
Remove hat to reply
*This Space For Rent*

JaR
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware, G.R. spewed across the ether:

> Try this link:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B310575
>

Thank you. The obvious were the first things I tried.

--
JaR
Remove hat to reply
*This Space For Rent*

G.R.
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
"JaR" <jrtrilby@lakabux.com> wrote in message
news:Xns968D53AC89B16jrtrilbylakabuxcom@207.46.248.16...
> In microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware, G.R. spewed across the ether:
>
>> Try this link:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B310575
>>
>
> Thank you. The obvious were the first things I tried.
>
> --
> JaR
> Remove hat to reply
> *This Space For Rent*
Now I'm spewing. You are too stupid to figure anything out. If you have
users I feel sorry that they have an a**hole like you supporting them.
Have a good day!

JaR
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware, G.R. spewed across the ether:

>> Thank you. The obvious were the first things I tried.
>>
>> --
>> JaR
>> Remove hat to reply
>> *This Space For Rent*
> Now I'm spewing. You are too stupid to figure anything out. If you have
> users I feel sorry that they have an a**hole like you supporting them.
> Have a good day!

WTF is your problem? If you read my post you should have noticed that I had
been careful to point out that I had done the basics. If you have any real
suggestions other than pointing out that I needed to do what I had already
done, they would be welcome.

If you are just a thin-skinned, elitist pr1ck, the FOAD to you too.

--
JR Jones
Remove hat to reply
*This Space For Rent*


USB conflict/unknown device won't uninstall