Riptide Sound card problems in XP



Xtreme_1
07-10-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm having some audio problems with my sound card since the installation of
windows XP (clean install, no dual boot). It is a Conexant Riptide sound
card, PCI, 32 bit, 3D stereo. A3D will no longer launch during games and
applications that support it, the riptide music synthesizer doesn't work, and
the 3D sound, bass boost, and graphic equalizer in the volume controls is no
longer available. General audio works fine, but i would like these features
to work. It's hard finding an XP device driver for this sound card as the
manufacturer scarcely supports the sound card. My previous OS was Windows 98
SE, and i ran the compatiability wizard, which found no problems, i want to
stay with XP, everything worked fine during Windows 98. Please help me fix
this problem.

Malke
07-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Xtreme_1 wrote:

> I'm having some audio problems with my sound card since the
> installation of windows XP (clean install, no dual boot). It is a
> Conexant Riptide sound card, PCI, 32 bit, 3D stereo. A3D will no
> longer launch during games and applications that support it, the
> riptide music synthesizer doesn't work, and the 3D sound, bass boost,
> and graphic equalizer in the volume controls is no longer available.
> General audio works fine, but i would like these features to work.
> It's hard finding an XP device driver for this sound card as the
> manufacturer scarcely supports the sound card. My previous OS was
> Windows 98 SE, and i ran the compatiability wizard, which found no
> problems, i want to stay with XP, everything worked fine during
> Windows 98. Please help me fix this problem.

That is an ancient soundcard and it was a crappy one to start with. Go
to your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA and buy a new soundcard. You
can get a basic one for as little as $20USD. Uninstall the old
soundcard's drivers and any related software, shut down the machine,
remove the card, put in the new one, and start up the machine. Install
per instructions that came with your card.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Xtreme_1
07-10-2005, 01:58 AM
"Malke" wrote:

> Xtreme_1 wrote:
>
> > I'm having some audio problems with my sound card since the
> > installation of windows XP (clean install, no dual boot). It is a
> > Conexant Riptide sound card, PCI, 32 bit, 3D stereo. A3D will no
> > longer launch during games and applications that support it, the
> > riptide music synthesizer doesn't work, and the 3D sound, bass boost,
> > and graphic equalizer in the volume controls is no longer available.
> > General audio works fine, but i would like these features to work.
> > It's hard finding an XP device driver for this sound card as the
> > manufacturer scarcely supports the sound card. My previous OS was
> > Windows 98 SE, and i ran the compatiability wizard, which found no
> > problems, i want to stay with XP, everything worked fine during
> > Windows 98. Please help me fix this problem.
>
> That is an ancient soundcard and it was a crappy one to start with. Go
> to your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA and buy a new soundcard. You
> can get a basic one for as little as $20USD. Uninstall the old
> soundcard's drivers and any related software, shut down the machine,
> remove the card, put in the new one, and start up the machine. Install
> per instructions that came with your card.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
____________________________________________________________________
It is used in hp pavilions. I don't believe it to be crappy, it's sound
output is of quite a high fidelity, and amplifies quite well. The card worked
100% perfectly on windows 98 SE, why not on XP? I have selected microsoft
music synthesizer for midi instructions, and use direct sound for games. The
old volume conrols on 98 displayed more of the card's features than on XP.
All i need is a different driver for XP for the sound card, if i can't fix
it, i wuld switch to AC'97 intergrated, which on most computers, has very
plain features.
>

Malke
07-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Xtreme_1 wrote:



> It is used in hp pavilions. I don't believe it to be crappy, it's
> sound output is of quite a high fidelity, and amplifies quite well.
> The card worked 100% perfectly on windows 98 SE, why not on XP? I have
> selected microsoft music synthesizer for midi instructions, and use
> direct sound for games. The old volume conrols on 98 displayed more of
> the card's features than on XP. All i need is a different driver for
> XP for the sound card, if i can't fix it, i wuld switch to AC'97
> intergrated, which on most computers, has very plain features.

I'm quite aware that this card was used on Pavilion's. If you want to
think it was high-quality, that's your choice. After having worked on
as many Pavilions as I have, I'll keep my opinion. It really doesn't
matter.

The fact is that your hardware is very old (in hardware-years). Whether
it was great when you got it doesn't matter. It is old now and
unsupported in the operating system you installed. All hardware must
have associated software called "drivers". The drivers tell an
operating system - *any* operating system - how to use the hardware.
Without the correct drivers, your operating system may know you have
the hardware installed but will not be able to use it or will not have
access to all the features. The need for proper drivers is not
restricted to the Windows operating system - all operating systems work
this way.

The solution is to replace the old, unsupported hardware with new
hardware which will naturally have drivers for Microsoft's current
operating system.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User


Riptide Sound card problems in XP