PC won't turn off but restarts



John7
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi,

When shutting down PC from WinXP it always restarts.

This happened after major upgrade:
AMD XP 2000+ --> 2800+
256MB --> 512MB
Added 2x 80GB in RAID1 (mirror).
Added Eminent EM4037 Wireless 802.11g PCI card
Gigabyte GA7 VAXP bios F7 --> F15

Remaining config:
300W ATX psu
Ti4200 64MB VGA
Elsa ISDN-modem
Aopen CDRW 4850
DVD-rom

Suggestions are highly appreciated.
John7

Star Fleet Admiral Q
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
You may need to do a "repair install" or "upgrade in place" type
installation. You may also need to make sure all the proper device drivers
have been installed/updated for any new/upgraded hardware.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message
news:d9q0l1$uul$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> When shutting down PC from WinXP it always restarts.
>
> This happened after major upgrade:
> AMD XP 2000+ --> 2800+
> 256MB --> 512MB
> Added 2x 80GB in RAID1 (mirror).
> Added Eminent EM4037 Wireless 802.11g PCI card
> Gigabyte GA7 VAXP bios F7 --> F15
>
> Remaining config:
> 300W ATX psu
> Ti4200 64MB VGA
> Elsa ISDN-modem
> Aopen CDRW 4850
> DVD-rom
>
> Suggestions are highly appreciated.
> John7
>
>

John7
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Thx for responding.

I identified the Wless network card as cause of failing to shutdown but
restart.
Tried 2 diffenent PCI slots but at no avail.
I'll contact mfg's helpdesk tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

John7


"Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:u8Li$A3eFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> You may need to do a "repair install" or "upgrade in place" type
> installation. You may also need to make sure all the proper device
drivers
> have been installed/updated for any new/upgraded hardware.
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message
> news:d9q0l1$uul$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > When shutting down PC from WinXP it always restarts.
> >
> > This happened after major upgrade:
> > AMD XP 2000+ --> 2800+
> > 256MB --> 512MB
> > Added 2x 80GB in RAID1 (mirror).
> > Added Eminent EM4037 Wireless 802.11g PCI card
> > Gigabyte GA7 VAXP bios F7 --> F15
> >
> > Remaining config:
> > 300W ATX psu
> > Ti4200 64MB VGA
> > Elsa ISDN-modem
> > Aopen CDRW 4850
> > DVD-rom
> >
> > Suggestions are highly appreciated.
> > John7
> >
> >
>
>

John7
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi,

The Wless nic caused a BIOS PME-event which powers up the pc rightafter
shutdown.
Disabling PME-event in BIOS solved the issue.

John7


"John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message
news:d9q3qi$fnh$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Thx for responding.
>
> I identified the Wless network card as cause of failing to shutdown but
> restart.
> Tried 2 diffenent PCI slots but at no avail.
> I'll contact mfg's helpdesk tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.
>
> John7
>
>
> "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
<Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
> wrote in message news:u8Li$A3eFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > You may need to do a "repair install" or "upgrade in place" type
> > installation. You may also need to make sure all the proper device
> drivers
> > have been installed/updated for any new/upgraded hardware.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
> >
> > http://www.google.com
> > Google is your "Friend"
> >
> > "John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message
> > news:d9q0l1$uul$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When shutting down PC from WinXP it always restarts.
> > >
> > > This happened after major upgrade:
> > > AMD XP 2000+ --> 2800+
> > > 256MB --> 512MB
> > > Added 2x 80GB in RAID1 (mirror).
> > > Added Eminent EM4037 Wireless 802.11g PCI card
> > > Gigabyte GA7 VAXP bios F7 --> F15
> > >
> > > Remaining config:
> > > 300W ATX psu
> > > Ti4200 64MB VGA
> > > Elsa ISDN-modem
> > > Aopen CDRW 4850
> > > DVD-rom
> > >
> > > Suggestions are highly appreciated.
> > > John7
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


PC won't turn off but restarts