PC problem -- could be the HD, could be the CD-Drive...



RyanH
07-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Well, about July of last year my computer just stopped working. I
donít know what it was, but the tower would power on, and nothing
would come on the screen. Everything seemed to be working fine, except
nothing was on the screen. So we ended up buying a new computer.

Now though, Iíd like to try to restore the old computer (everything in
it is intact) and use it as my own, and leave the family computer to
the family.

The only problem, is that when I hook the old tower to the moniter,
and plug all of the necessities in, the computer powers on but nothing
happens on the screen, much like before. Iíve tried a different hard
drive, but since itís formatted with Windows 98, it wonít work either.
Iím not sure now if Iíve plugged the CD-Rom drive and the hard drive
in the right way, either. Basically I just want to start clean, and
wipe the HD if I can, too.

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-PC-problem-HD-CD-Drive-ftopict542621.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1710619

Pegasus \(MVP\)
07-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Take the machine to your friendly computer dealer and ask him
to have a look at it. He has the experience and the various bits
and pieces to find out within a few minutes if it is the motherboard,
the power supply, the BIOS or the video adapter. It is unlikely
to be the CD drive, and with his experience he would unplug
it immediately to demonstrate that it is something else.


"RyanH" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:3_1710619_33d72bfec126813730f29a755e66b817@windowsforumz.com...
> Well, about July of last year my computer just stopped working. I
> don't know what it was, but the tower would power on, and nothing
> would come on the screen. Everything seemed to be working fine, except
> nothing was on the screen. So we ended up buying a new computer.
>
> Now though, I'd like to try to restore the old computer (everything in
> it is intact) and use it as my own, and leave the family computer to
> the family.
>
> The only problem, is that when I hook the old tower to the moniter,
> and plug all of the necessities in, the computer powers on but nothing
> happens on the screen, much like before. I've tried a different hard
> drive, but since it's formatted with Windows 98, it won't work either.
> I'm not sure now if I've plugged the CD-Rom drive and the hard drive
> in the right way, either. Basically I just want to start clean, and
> wipe the HD if I can, too.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-PC-problem-HD-CD-Drive-ftopict542621.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1710619


PC problem -- could be the HD, could be the CD-Drive...