CDRom causes continuous reboot!



JCW
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
I have a weird problem. I a new motherboard in my computer and a new cdrw
and HD while I was at it. Everything went fine except when I put the XP cd
in the drive it reboot over and over and if I take the cd out of the drive
it boots fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? New Board, CPU, HD,
and CDRW.

JCW

Peter
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Hi,

Don't press any key when you power on the system.
Or, boot into BIOS and change the boot sequence that the Hdd with the OS
installed to be the 1st boot device, save and exit BIOS setup.


--
Peter


"JCW" wrote:

> I have a weird problem. I a new motherboard in my computer and a new cdrw
> and HD while I was at it. Everything went fine except when I put the XP cd
> in the drive it reboot over and over and if I take the cd out of the drive
> it boots fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? New Board, CPU, HD,
> and CDRW.
>
> JCW
>
>
>

JCW
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
There is no OS on the NEW hard drive and I am trying to install XP onto the
fresh hard drive but when I boot to the cdrom with the install disk in it it
reboots continuously, thus not allowing me to install XP. I have tried 2 new
cdrom drives , new cables etc. Any more advice, please...
"Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EA8771CB-3BB1-418B-AAC0-DB6E7065D664@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Don't press any key when you power on the system.
> Or, boot into BIOS and change the boot sequence that the Hdd with the OS
> installed to be the 1st boot device, save and exit BIOS setup.
>
>
> --
> Peter
>
>
> "JCW" wrote:
>
>> I have a weird problem. I a new motherboard in my computer and a new cdrw
>> and HD while I was at it. Everything went fine except when I put the XP
>> cd
>> in the drive it reboot over and over and if I take the cd out of the
>> drive
>> it boots fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? New Board, CPU,
>> HD,
>> and CDRW.
>>
>> JCW
>>
>>
>>

Peter
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Hi,

How to install XP:

1. Boot into BIOS and change the boot sequence that CD-rom to be the 1st
boot device, floppy drive to be the 2nd and Hdd is the 3rd. Disable the virus
protection in BIOS, if any. Insert the XP CD into the CD-rom drive then save
and exit BIOS setup.
Restart the machine.

2. After POST, watch the screen and when the "press any key to boot from the
CD" appeared at the bottom line of the display, press the space bar
immediately to let it boot from the XP CD.

3. After it booted from XP CD and loaded the setup drivers, press the
"ENTER" key to enter setup.

4. Press the F8 key to accept the licence agreement

5. During the setup process, do not press any key unless you are prompted to
do so.
Follow the on screen instructions to complete the setup. You may need to
press the F6 key to load any 3rd party drivers, e.g. the raid or scsi drivers
by using a floppy disk at this stage. Don't press the the F6 key if it is not
necessary. You can also select format and partition the Hdd in this stage,
just follow the on screen instructions.

6. When "press any key to reboot or the machine will restart in 15 seconds"
appeared, just wait and DON'T press any key and let it auto reboot.

7. Care: when the "press any key to boot from the CD" appeared again, you
MUST NOT press any key and just wait until the setup process auto loaded and
continue the setup process; follow the prompt to compete the setup.

Hope it helps and enjoy the installation of XP.
Pls post back to NG for the outcome.


--
Peter


"JCW" wrote:

> There is no OS on the NEW hard drive and I am trying to install XP onto the
> fresh hard drive but when I boot to the cdrom with the install disk in it it
> reboots continuously, thus not allowing me to install XP. I have tried 2 new
> cdrom drives , new cables etc. Any more advice, please...
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EA8771CB-3BB1-418B-AAC0-DB6E7065D664@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Don't press any key when you power on the system.
> > Or, boot into BIOS and change the boot sequence that the Hdd with the OS
> > installed to be the 1st boot device, save and exit BIOS setup.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> >
> >
> > "JCW" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a weird problem. I a new motherboard in my computer and a new cdrw
> >> and HD while I was at it. Everything went fine except when I put the XP
> >> cd
> >> in the drive it reboot over and over and if I take the cd out of the
> >> drive
> >> it boots fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? New Board, CPU,
> >> HD,
> >> and CDRW.
> >>
> >> JCW
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>

rotnrat
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
I think MAYBE if you missed the "press any key to boot to cd" prompt you
might not get to boot but I seriously doubt the computer just reboots,
usually it will stop with a please insert boot device in drive
message.I wrote all this to say that if after trying
=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?='s "windows instalation for dummy's" (which you
have probably pretty close to what you been doing all along), then try
the website of your mobo manufacturer for Faqs, support, forums. maybe
someone else with this same board has experienced this problem. a
possible work around may be to disable booting from cd in the bios,
set the floppy to 1st boot device, go to this site

http://tinyurl.com/69akh

and download the boot floppies and try to install using the floppy
drive and cd.
hope this helps


--
rotnratPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

itsme
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Enter BIOS enable CD ROM as first boot *_Disable_all_the_others_* F10 to
save your settings.

put the XP disk in the CD ROM then wait untill it enters set up
*_DO_NOT_* touch any keys untill XP prompts you to do so.
let it fully instal and it should, when it has finished shut the PC
down. Then start and re-enter the BIOS and set your first BOOT HDD
second CD third Floppy if you have one seek other boot up YES >HIT F10
and away you go.:)


--
itsmePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

JCW
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
It is depressing to think that because someone asks for some advice, that
they act as if the person asking is a complete idiot. Not that I don't
appreciate the help that I receive in these NG's, I definitely know when a
computer is in a loop and is rebooting. In my first post I made it clear
that if I remove the cd it would boot fine. With the cd in the drive it
would reboot before it got to the " Press any key to boot to the CD" over
and over again. Again I appreciate the help and advice. Just to close this
issue, although I tried a new PS as well other hardware (RAM,VC, etc) it
turns out that the NEW PS was defective. I installed a second NEW PS and it
booted to the cd normally and all went well. Thanks again...

JCW
"itsme" <itsme.1pwfnz@> wrote in message
news:EZqdna0TwIlA8QHfRVn_vg@giganews.com...
>
> Enter BIOS enable CD ROM as first boot *_Disable_all_the_others_* F10 to
> save your settings.
>
> put the XP disk in the CD ROM then wait untill it enters set up
> *_DO_NOT_* touch any keys untill XP prompts you to do so.
> let it fully instal and it should, when it has finished shut the PC
> down. Then start and re-enter the BIOS and set your first BOOT HDD
> second CD third Floppy if you have one seek other boot up YES >HIT F10
> and away you go.:)
>
>
> --
> itsmePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
>

nodenet
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Is your XP the SP2 version. If it is you might need firmware upgrade for
your motherboard.
By the way set all other bios settings to default.


--
nodenetPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

rotnrat
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
> It is depressing to think that because someone asks for some advice,
> that
> they act as if the person asking is a complete idiot.

Well I have to still think that there are plenty of nice folks out
there that love to help people solve their computer problems, but I'm
not real sure any of them hang out in these forums!!!
anyway I am glad you got it fixed, CD was killing the power supply, I
can see that happening, good luck.


--
rotnratPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Absolutely
07-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Dude, I get this all the time. More annoying is when I say something like
"the drive is set as master" and I get a response like "Did you set the
drive as master?". Obviously someone isn't reading, or can't read.


"JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:e4pzSxhZFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> It is depressing to think that because someone asks for some advice, that
> they act as if the person asking is a complete idiot. Not that I don't
> appreciate the help that I receive in these NG's, I definitely know when a
> computer is in a loop and is rebooting. In my first post I made it clear
> that if I remove the cd it would boot fine. With the cd in the drive it
> would reboot before it got to the " Press any key to boot to the CD" over
> and over again. Again I appreciate the help and advice. Just to close this
> issue, although I tried a new PS as well other hardware (RAM,VC, etc) it
> turns out that the NEW PS was defective. I installed a second NEW PS and
> it booted to the cd normally and all went well. Thanks again...
>
> JCW
> "itsme" <itsme.1pwfnz@> wrote in message
> news:EZqdna0TwIlA8QHfRVn_vg@giganews.com...
>>
>> Enter BIOS enable CD ROM as first boot *_Disable_all_the_others_* F10 to
>> save your settings.
>>
>> put the XP disk in the CD ROM then wait untill it enters set up
>> *_DO_NOT_* touch any keys untill XP prompts you to do so.
>> let it fully instal and it should, when it has finished shut the PC
>> down. Then start and re-enter the BIOS and set your first BOOT HDD
>> second CD third Floppy if you have one seek other boot up YES >HIT F10
>> and away you go.:)
>>
>>
>> --
>> itsmePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
>>
>
>


CDRom causes continuous reboot!