Right Hardware?



annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
07-10-2005, 01:50 AM
I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently of
each other without a Radio.

I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.

Now I had the following suggestion:-

"If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network card
in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the computers you
want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain its IP
configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."

Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS is
Win.XPPro (SP2).
Thank you.

Bob I
07-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Installing network cards in the PC's WILL provide Ethernet ports. Makes
things rather simple after that.

annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:

> I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently of
> each other without a Radio.
>
> I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
> unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.
>
> Now I had the following suggestion:-
>
> "If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network card
> in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection Sharing
> (ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the computers you
> want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain its IP
> configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."
>
> Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
> whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS is
> Win.XPPro (SP2).
> Thank you.
>
>

annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
07-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Thank you for the reply Bob. Where do I get the network cards and which ones
and how many do I order? Your further assistance will be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:OB%23V6l6WFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Installing network cards in the PC's WILL provide Ethernet ports. Makes
> things rather simple after that.
>
> annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>
>> I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently
>> of
>> each other without a Radio.
>>
>> I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
>> unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.
>>
>> Now I had the following suggestion:-
>>
>> "If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network
>> card
>> in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection
>> Sharing
>> (ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the computers
>> you
>> want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain its IP
>> configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."
>>
>> Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
>> whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS
>> is
>> Win.XPPro (SP2).
>> Thank you.
>

Kerry Brown
07-10-2005, 01:50 AM
"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:eEC5ib3WFHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently of
> each other without a Radio.
>
> I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
> unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.
>
> Now I had the following suggestion:-
>
> "If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network
> card
> in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection
> Sharing
> (ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the computers you
> want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain its IP
> configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."
>
> Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
> whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS is
> Win.XPPro (SP2).
> Thank you.
>

You keep asking the same question over and over. Changing to a different
newsgroup will only get you the same responses. It has been answered several
times already. You need a network card in each computer. To get independent
accss to the internet you need a router or two seperate internet connections
(broadband modems). Internet Connection Sharing does not allow independent
access. One computer depends on the other one connected to the internet. If
you do not understand the answers then please say so and some one will go
into more detail. It appears you do not have the knowledge needed to make
this work. Have you read through the links provided in the other answers?
The following link provides a tutorial on basic networking. If you don't
understand it I recommend you hire someone who does to help you.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

Kerry

Kerry Brown
07-10-2005, 01:50 AM
>
> You keep asking the same question over and over. Changing to a different
> newsgroup will only get you the same responses. It has been answered
> several times already. You need a network card in each computer. To get
> independent accss to the internet you need a router or two seperate
> internet connections (broadband modems). Internet Connection Sharing does
> not allow independent access. One computer depends on the other one
> connected to the internet. If you do not understand the answers then
> please say so and some one will go into more detail. It appears you do not
> have the knowledge needed to make this work. Have you read through the
> links provided in the other answers? The following link provides a
> tutorial on basic networking. If you don't understand it I recommend you
> hire someone who does to help you.
>
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
>
> Kerry
>
>


Here's some more links:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/all_about_routers.shtml

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,102461,00.asp

http://www.linksys.com/edu/

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article62-page1.php

Hope this helped. As I said in my previous message if you don't understand
the basic concepts involved you may need to hire someone who does.

Kerry

Bob I
07-10-2005, 01:50 AM
I suggest you get local assistance at this point as it will involve
opening the computers for installation.

annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:

> Thank you for the reply Bob. Where do I get the network cards and which ones
> and how many do I order? Your further assistance will be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you.
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:OB%23V6l6WFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>Installing network cards in the PC's WILL provide Ethernet ports. Makes
>>things rather simple after that.
>>
>>annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently
>>>of
>>>each other without a Radio.
>>>
>>>I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
>>>unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.
>>>
>>>Now I had the following suggestion:-
>>>
>>>"If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network
>>>card
>>>in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection
>>>Sharing
>>>(ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the computers
>>>you
>>>want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain its IP
>>>configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."
>>>
>>>Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
>>>whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS
>>>is
>>>Win.XPPro (SP2).
>>>Thank you.
>>
>
>


Right Hardware?