07-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Did not uninstall HP drivers before upgrading from ME to XP. After
upgrade, tried to uninstall, but unsuccessful. ReInstallion fails with
RPC error. Starting Print Spool Service allowed reinstallation to
complete successfully, however Print Spool service will not start on
bootup (even though it is set to Automatic), resulting in a long boot
up, and finally an "RPC Failure after x retries".
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-HP-1210-AllInOne-ftopict542814.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1711486
07-09-2005, 09:30 PM
> Did not uninstall HP drivers before upgrading from ME to XP.
> After upgrade, tried to uninstall, but unsuccessful.
> ReInstallion fails with RPC error. Starting Print Spool
> Service allowed reinstallation to complete successfully,
> however Print Spool service will not start on bootup (even
> though it is set to Automatic), resulting in a long boot up,
> and finally an "RPC Failure after x retries".
Here is the answer I got from MSFT Support (within 24 hours, over the
weekend!) It worked! And is probably useful for anyone with bizarre
Printer behaviour after upgrading to XP.
Step 1: Delete the current drivers:
Note: Please disconnect your printer from the computer.
1. Click Start, Click Control Panel.
2. On the popup window, click the Switch to Classic View link in the
3. In the right pane, click Printers and Faxes, choose your printer,
and delete it.
4. On the menu bar, click File, and then click Server Properties.
5. On the popup window, click the Drivers tab, then delete the driver
for this printer.
Note: please remove all printers.
Step 2: Remove all related printer software from Control Panel->
Step 3: Clean up driver information from the Registry:
1. Click Start, go to Run, type in "REGEDIT" and press Enter.
2. Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:
3. Double click to expand "Printers". All current printers installed
on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey and
4. Browse to the following registry key:
5. Expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed
on your computer will be listed there. Please right click on the
subkey and click Delete.
6. Close Registry Editor.
Step 4: Clear up driver information in Safe Mode:
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do so, restart the computer;
Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears; choose Safe
Mode, and press Enter.
Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and
perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.
2. Open My Computer and browse to the folder
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86\3, delete all the files
in the folder.
3. Restart your computer in Normal Mode.
Step 5: Clear All related Printer Driver Entry in Device Manager:
1. Click Start, go to Run, type in "DEVMGMT.MSC" and press Enter to
start Device Manager.
2. Click View and select Show hidden devices.
3. Double click "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" to expand this item.
4. Check if there is any related item about the printer. If yes, right
click the item and choose Disable.
5. Please also delete all related items under the printer entry.
6. Restart the computer.
Step 6: Download the latest driver from the printer vendorís website.
For your convenience I have provided the HP link below:
Please note: The third-party products are manufactured by companies
that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty,
implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of
Step 7: Install the driver. You may contact the printer ventor for
direct assistance on the installation issue because different types of
printers have different installation methods.
(1) If you are using a USB cable, please first disconnect the Printer.
After installing the driver, then we can connect it to your computer
and it will be detected.
(2) If you are using a Parallel cable, please keep it connected before
installing the driver.