Any info on these virii?



Bob H
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi, a friend tells me that they have got these virii on thier machine
and can't get rid of them. I have searched Google, but nothing has come
up for either one of them.
w32/coddot-k
w32/rbot-san

Any information anywhere please?

Thanks
--


Bob H
Leeds UK

http://5daily.com/?ref=947

http://4daily.com/#70249

http://www.studiotraffic.com/index.php?refid=146911

http://sensitive-surf.com/?ref=1576

Yves Leclerc
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Usually you should always check on "known" anti-virus utility web sites:

www.symantec.com
www.mcafee.com
www.sophos.com
www.ca.com

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
news:42a06f04$0$304$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi, a friend tells me that they have got these virii on thier machine and
> can't get rid of them. I have searched Google, but nothing has come up for
> either one of them.
> w32/coddot-k
> w32/rbot-san
>
> Any information anywhere please?
>
> Thanks
> --
>
>
> Bob H
> Leeds UK
>
> http://5daily.com/?ref=947
>
> http://4daily.com/#70249
>
> http://www.studiotraffic.com/index.php?refid=146911
>
> http://sensitive-surf.com/?ref=1576
>

Malke
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Bob H wrote:

> Hi, a friend tells me that they have got these virii on thier machine
> and can't get rid of them. I have searched Google, but nothing has
> come up for either one of them.
> w32/coddot-k
> w32/rbot-san
>

Different antivirus companies have different names for the same viruses.
Have your friend submit the files to:
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

Since we don't know what your friend has already done to remove the
viruses, have him/her scan in Safe Mode with TrendMicro's Sysclean. You
may need to get Sysclean and any other removal tools/updates from a
different, known-clean computer with an Internet connection and a cd
burner.

TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
scanning engine and the virus pattern files. Delete all Temporary and
Temporary Internet Files before running the program.

1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
useful like "Sysclean".
2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made. For a more
automated way to get Sysclean, use Dave Lipman's Sysclean_FE from
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm .

3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
menu.
4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

After scanning with Sysclean, if your friend does not have a
full-featured antivirus installed, s/he should get one, install it,
update its definitions, and do a thorough scan in Safe Mode.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Bob H wrote:

> Hi, a friend tells me that they have got these virii on thier machine
> and can't get rid of them. I have searched Google, but nothing has come
> up for either one of them.
> w32/coddot-k
> w32/rbot-san
>
> Any information anywhere please?
>
> Thanks

For virus questions best to post to the virus forums:

microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

David H. Lipman
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
From: "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com>

| Hi, a friend tells me that they have got these virii on thier machine
| and can't get rid of them. I have searched Google, but nothing has come
| up for either one of them.
| w32/coddot-k
| w32/rbot-san
|
| Any information anywhere please?
|
| Thanks
| --
|
| Bob H
| Leeds UK


Bob:

Let's start with the fact that there is no such terminology as 'viri' or 'virii'. The
plural of virus is viruses for both a computer and for vbiological organisms.

I also want you to know that there are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of
discussion.

microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

As Malke pointed out, two different AV vendors can name the same infector differently. Even
a variant of a virus where vendors have the same name may apply a different variant name to
it. So ther important fact that you left out was what anti virus software indentified the
following two infectors...

w32/coddot-k
w32/rbot-san

The naming conventions looks similar to that used by Sophos but neither were found in the
Sophos Library. A cross reference check in the libraries of; Kaspersky, McAfee/AVERT,
Symantec and at VirusLibrary.Com also yielded nothing.


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Bob H
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com>
>
> | Hi, a friend tells me that they have got these virii on thier machine
> | and can't get rid of them. I have searched Google, but nothing has come
> | up for either one of them.
> | w32/coddot-k
> | w32/rbot-san
> |
> | Any information anywhere please?
> |
> | Thanks
> | --
> |
> | Bob H
> | Leeds UK
>
>
> Bob:
>
> Let's start with the fact that there is no such terminology as 'viri' or 'virii'. The
> plural of virus is viruses for both a computer and for vbiological organisms.
>
> I also want you to know that there are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of
> discussion.
>
> microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
> microsoft.public.security.virus
> alt.comp.virus
> alt.comp.anti-virus
>
> As Malke pointed out, two different AV vendors can name the same infector differently. Even
> a variant of a virus where vendors have the same name may apply a different variant name to
> it. So ther important fact that you left out was what anti virus software indentified the
> following two infectors...
>
> w32/coddot-k
> w32/rbot-san
>
> The naming conventions looks similar to that used by Sophos but neither were found in the
> Sophos Library. A cross reference check in the libraries of; Kaspersky, McAfee/AVERT,
> Symantec and at VirusLibrary.Com also yielded nothing.
>
>

Hi David,
first of all I was not aware of any anti vrus groups, but know I am,
so thanks for that.
The vendor which named the said viruses (then) was in fact Sophos, and
there were 2 other viruses on his machine as well which I did find info
on, and again they came up on Sophos's website.
I'll get him to update is av program and see what that does, but I have
downloaded some Sophos updates and put them on a CDR in case he can't
get rid by updates etc.

Now then, is it virii or viruses?? I was always given to believe that
anything like that was called or pronounced virii. In fact a search on
google shows virii and viruses as being the same thing.

So there you go.

Thanks for your help
--


Bob H
Leeds UK

David H. Lipman
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
From: "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com>


| Hi David,
| first of all I was not aware of any anti vrus groups, but know I am,
| so thanks for that.
| The vendor which named the said viruses (then) was in fact Sophos, and
| there were 2 other viruses on his machine as well which I did find info
| on, and again they came up on Sophos's website.
| I'll get him to update is av program and see what that does, but I have
| downloaded some Sophos updates and put them on a CDR in case he can't
| get rid by updates etc.
|
| Now then, is it virii or viruses?? I was always given to believe that
| anything like that was called or pronounced virii. In fact a search on
| google shows virii and viruses as being the same thing.
|
| So there you go.
|
| Thanks for your help
| --
|
| Bob H
| Leeds UK

Bob:

Just because you do a search on Google, does not make it correct. If I did a search on
Google for Flat Earth, I would find the Flat Earth Society who believes that the Earth is
indeed ... flat. However, we all know through physics, mathematics and by direct
observation from space that the Earth is indeed round.

I have studied computer viruses for over fifteen years. It has been discussed in
alt.comp.virus many times over the decade plus that a.c.v has been around and the fact is
the plural if virus is viruses. I am not a student of Latin but based upon said discussions
the following web sites properly express the case that the case of 'viri and 'virii' is
invalid.

http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html

http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html

"...the word viri is a Latin word. But it is a completely different and unrelated one. It is
the plural of vir. It means "men". Unless, when you talk of being infected by viri you
really are talking about being infected by men (and not by viruses), viri is not the correct
word to use. "

So if you want to be a pseudo intellectual and continue to use faux termininology of virii,
you will look like an idiot to those more knowledgably.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Bob H
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com>
>
>
> | Hi David,
> | first of all I was not aware of any anti vrus groups, but know I am,
> | so thanks for that.
> | The vendor which named the said viruses (then) was in fact Sophos, and
> | there were 2 other viruses on his machine as well which I did find info
> | on, and again they came up on Sophos's website.
> | I'll get him to update is av program and see what that does, but I have
> | downloaded some Sophos updates and put them on a CDR in case he can't
> | get rid by updates etc.
> |
> | Now then, is it virii or viruses?? I was always given to believe that
> | anything like that was called or pronounced virii. In fact a search on
> | google shows virii and viruses as being the same thing.
> |
> | So there you go.
> |
> | Thanks for your help
> | --
> |
> | Bob H
> | Leeds UK
>
> Bob:
>
> Just because you do a search on Google, does not make it correct. If I did a search on
> Google for Flat Earth, I would find the Flat Earth Society who believes that the Earth is
> indeed ... flat. However, we all know through physics, mathematics and by direct
> observation from space that the Earth is indeed round.
>
> I have studied computer viruses for over fifteen years. It has been discussed in
> alt.comp.virus many times over the decade plus that a.c.v has been around and the fact is
> the plural if virus is viruses. I am not a student of Latin but based upon said discussions
> the following web sites properly express the case that the case of 'viri and 'virii' is
> invalid.
>
> http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
>
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html
>
> "...the word viri is a Latin word. But it is a completely different and unrelated one. It is
> the plural of vir. It means "men". Unless, when you talk of being infected by viri you
> really are talking about being infected by men (and not by viruses), viri is not the correct
> word to use. "
>
> So if you want to be a pseudo intellectual and continue to use faux termininology of virii,
> you will look like an idiot to those more knowledgably.
>
I did not say that the search on google made it correct, read what I
said again.
As you initially pointed out to me that the word is viruses and NOT
virii, I am not doubting what you say, so don't take it that I am.
As you are very knowledgable on this subject I am not risking making any
points with you as I clearly am not so knowlegable. I know what I know
and if I don't know I will ask.
Alright, I made an in corrct statement in my initail question, and I
feel you are lambasting me for it. I only meant it was more than 1 virus.



--


Bob H
Leeds UK

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ContemporaryGifts4U

Do you do the lottery each week? If so try this:
http://www.betwealthlottery.com/in.asp?MID=AAAA1358

Get more hits to your site by trying this; its free:
http://www.can-autosurf.com/signup.php?ref=1462

http://5daily.com/?ref=947

http://4daily.com/#70249

http://www.studiotraffic.com/index.php?refid=146911

http://sensitive-surf.com/?ref=1576

www.greenzap.com/aaa1358

Tom Pepper Willett
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Virii describes the combined set of computer viruses, worms and trojans.
Loosely this category can be thought of as malware, but some viruses and
worms are not malicious, hence they are not malware.

The word "virii" has nothing to do with Latin or the plural of virus. The
plural of virus is viruses.

Tom

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
news:42a0d8c9$0$292$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
| David H. Lipman wrote:
| > From: "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com>
| >
| >
| > | Hi David,
| > | first of all I was not aware of any anti vrus groups, but know I am,
| > | so thanks for that.
| > | The vendor which named the said viruses (then) was in fact Sophos, and
| > | there were 2 other viruses on his machine as well which I did find
info
| > | on, and again they came up on Sophos's website.
| > | I'll get him to update is av program and see what that does, but I
have
| > | downloaded some Sophos updates and put them on a CDR in case he can't
| > | get rid by updates etc.
| > |
| > | Now then, is it virii or viruses?? I was always given to believe that
| > | anything like that was called or pronounced virii. In fact a search on
| > | google shows virii and viruses as being the same thing.
| > |
| > | So there you go.
| > |
| > | Thanks for your help
| > | --
| > |
| > | Bob H
| > | Leeds UK
| >
| > Bob:
| >
| > Just because you do a search on Google, does not make it correct. If I
did a search on
| > Google for Flat Earth, I would find the Flat Earth Society who believes
that the Earth is
| > indeed ... flat. However, we all know through physics, mathematics and
by direct
| > observation from space that the Earth is indeed round.
| >
| > I have studied computer viruses for over fifteen years. It has been
discussed in
| > alt.comp.virus many times over the decade plus that a.c.v has been
around and the fact is
| > the plural if virus is viruses. I am not a student of Latin but based
upon said discussions
| > the following web sites properly express the case that the case of 'viri
and 'virii' is
| > invalid.
| >
| > http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
| >
| > http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html
| >
| > "...the word viri is a Latin word. But it is a completely different and
unrelated one. It is
| > the plural of vir. It means "men". Unless, when you talk of being
infected by viri you
| > really are talking about being infected by men (and not by viruses),
viri is not the correct
| > word to use. "
| >
| > So if you want to be a pseudo intellectual and continue to use faux
termininology of virii,
| > you will look like an idiot to those more knowledgably.
| >
| I did not say that the search on google made it correct, read what I
| said again.
| As you initially pointed out to me that the word is viruses and NOT
| virii, I am not doubting what you say, so don't take it that I am.
| As you are very knowledgable on this subject I am not risking making any
| points with you as I clearly am not so knowlegable. I know what I know
| and if I don't know I will ask.
| Alright, I made an in corrct statement in my initail question, and I
| feel you are lambasting me for it. I only meant it was more than 1 virus.
|
|
|
| --
|
|
| Bob H
| Leeds UK
|
| http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ContemporaryGifts4U
|
| Do you do the lottery each week? If so try this:
| http://www.betwealthlottery.com/in.asp?MID=AAAA1358
|
| Get more hits to your site by trying this; its free:
| http://www.can-autosurf.com/signup.php?ref=1462
|
| http://5daily.com/?ref=947
|
| http://4daily.com/#70249
|
| http://www.studiotraffic.com/index.php?refid=146911
|
| http://sensitive-surf.com/?ref=1576
|
| www.greenzap.com/aaa1358

Ken Blake
07-10-2005, 12:58 AM
In news:42a0b176$0$301$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com,
Bob H <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> typed:

> Now then, is it virii or viruses?? I was always given to
> believe that
> anything like that was called or pronounced virii. In fact a
> search on
> google shows virii and viruses as being the same thing.


Despite the number of people who use "virii" as the plural of
"virus," there is no such word, neither in English nor in Latin.

If the Latin word were "virius," and it formed its plural
regularly, the Latin plural would be "virii." But there isn't.

The Latin word "virus" (which means "poison") was never used in
the plural, as far as researchers can tell. If there were a
plural of virus, and it were formed regularly, it would be "viri"
(with one "i"). But there isn't, perhaps because it would be
confused with the "viri" that does exist, the plural of "vir"
(which means "man").

So we have an English word "virus" taken from a Latin word
"virus" which had no plural. There is no choice about what the
English plural is; it's formed regularly as English plurals are:
"viruses."

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


Any info on these virii?