Windows Update Catalog



Lou
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm trying to use Windows Update Catalog to download updates for a
neighbor who has dial-up access. The function does not work as I
expected. I've read the instructions multiple times.

The neighbor's computer is Win XP Home with SP2 and no additional
updates since SP2. Also has .net Framework 1.0 installed.

My system (the one used to attempt download) is Win XP Home with SP2
and all updates since SP2. It has .net Framework 1.1 installed.

On the Windows Update Catalog page I select Win XP Home with SP2,
English, and critical updates and Service packs. Next page indicates
19 updates available. Selecting critical update displays 19 updates.
All are for .net Framework 1.0 in various languages.

My suspicion is the function determines that I have all but .net
Framework 1.0 updates installed and will not allow me to download
updates already installed on my computer.

Is this what I should have expected or have I mis-read the
instructions multiple times?

Lou

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Lou wrote:
> I'm trying to use Windows Update Catalog to download updates
> for a neighbor who has dial-up access. The function does not
> work as I expected. I've read the instructions multiple
> times.
>
> The neighbor's computer is Win XP Home with SP2 and no
> additional updates since SP2. Also has .net Framework 1.0
> installed.
>
> My system (the one used to attempt download) is Win XP Home
> with SP2 and all updates since SP2. It has .net Framework
> 1.1 installed.
>
> On the Windows Update Catalog page I select Win XP Home with
> SP2, English, and critical updates and Service packs. Next
> page indicates 19 updates available. Selecting critical
> update displays 19 updates. All are for .net Framework 1.0
> in various languages.
>
> My suspicion is the function determines that I have all but
> .net Framework 1.0 updates installed and will not allow me
> to download updates already installed on my computer.
>
> Is this what I should have expected or have I mis-read the
> instructions multiple times?
>
> Lou

What you're seeing has nothing to do with what's already
installed on your computer. You're looking in the wrong place.

Go back to the location where you selected the operating
system. Scroll down to the next to last entry, Windows XP SP2.
Click Search. You will now see 54 Critical updates and 23
Recommended updates. You can now go through and add the updates
you need to the download basket.

It's usually a good idea to run Windows update on the machine
with the dial-up connection first to create a list of files you
need to download. I'll copy the KB number and use that as a
guide.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

PA Bear
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
> It's usually a good idea to run Windows update on the machine
> with the dial-up connection first to create a list of files you
> need to download. I'll copy the KB number and use that as a
> guide.

Very good idea.

How to download Windows updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323166

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security


Nepatsfan wrote:
> Lou wrote:
> > I'm trying to use Windows Update Catalog to download updates
> > for a neighbor who has dial-up access. The function does not
> > work as I expected. I've read the instructions multiple
> > times.
> >
> > The neighbor's computer is Win XP Home with SP2 and no
> > additional updates since SP2. Also has .net Framework 1.0
> > installed.
> >
> > My system (the one used to attempt download) is Win XP Home
> > with SP2 and all updates since SP2. It has .net Framework
> > 1.1 installed.
> >
> > On the Windows Update Catalog page I select Win XP Home with
> > SP2, English, and critical updates and Service packs. Next
> > page indicates 19 updates available. Selecting critical
> > update displays 19 updates. All are for .net Framework 1.0
> > in various languages.
> >
> > My suspicion is the function determines that I have all but
> > .net Framework 1.0 updates installed and will not allow me
> > to download updates already installed on my computer.
> >
> > Is this what I should have expected or have I mis-read the
> > instructions multiple times?
> >
> > Lou
>
> What you're seeing has nothing to do with what's already
> installed on your computer. You're looking in the wrong place.
>
> Go back to the location where you selected the operating
> system. Scroll down to the next to last entry, Windows XP SP2.
> Click Search. You will now see 54 Critical updates and 23
> Recommended updates. You can now go through and add the updates
> you need to the download basket.
>
> It's usually a good idea to run Windows update on the machine
> with the dial-up connection first to create a list of files you
> need to download. I'll copy the KB number and use that as a
> guide.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Lou
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 19:02:55 -0400, "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com>
wrote:

>Lou wrote:
>> I'm trying to use Windows Update Catalog to download updates
>> for a neighbor who has dial-up access. The function does not
>> work as I expected. I've read the instructions multiple
>> times.
>>
>> The neighbor's computer is Win XP Home with SP2 and no
>> additional updates since SP2. Also has .net Framework 1.0
>> installed.
>>
>> My system (the one used to attempt download) is Win XP Home
>> with SP2 and all updates since SP2. It has .net Framework
>> 1.1 installed.
>>
>> On the Windows Update Catalog page I select Win XP Home with
>> SP2, English, and critical updates and Service packs. Next
>> page indicates 19 updates available. Selecting critical
>> update displays 19 updates. All are for .net Framework 1.0
>> in various languages.
>>
>> My suspicion is the function determines that I have all but
>> .net Framework 1.0 updates installed and will not allow me
>> to download updates already installed on my computer.
>>
>> Is this what I should have expected or have I mis-read the
>> instructions multiple times?
>>
>> Lou
>
>What you're seeing has nothing to do with what's already
>installed on your computer. You're looking in the wrong place.
>
>Go back to the location where you selected the operating
>system. Scroll down to the next to last entry, Windows XP SP2.
>Click Search. You will now see 54 Critical updates and 23
>Recommended updates. You can now go through and add the updates
>you need to the download basket.
>
>It's usually a good idea to run Windows update on the machine
>with the dial-up connection first to create a list of files you
>need to download. I'll copy the KB number and use that as a
>guide.
>
>Good luck
>
>Nepatsfan
>
You are correct. I was selecting Windows XP Home Edition SP2 rather
than Windows XP SP2. Thanks.

I did check my neighbor's system to determine the correct updates to
download. I copied the update numbers and sizes. The sizes shown
from Windows Update Catalog are all larger than that shown on my
neighbor's system. Any comments on this observations.

Again thanks.

Lou

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Lou wrote:

<snip>

> You are correct. I was selecting Windows XP Home Edition
> SP2 rather than Windows XP SP2. Thanks.
>
> I did check my neighbor's system to determine the correct
> updates to download. I copied the update numbers and sizes.
> The sizes shown from Windows Update Catalog are all larger
> than that shown on my neighbor's system. Any comments on
> this observations.
>
> Again thanks.
>
> Lou

I've found that this happens occasionaly. Often updates for
Windows Media Player, Direct X and other Windows components
will show up as a small file on the Windows Update site because
it's only showing you the size of the installer file that gets
downloaded. When that file is launched it then downloads just
what's needed for that particular computer. The Windows Update
Catalog, on the other hand, provides a sort of one size fits
all file.

Now if you're saying that every single update shows a different
size then I'd concerned. My experience has been that as long as
you match up the KB numbers you're fine. If you can, pass along
some examples and I'll look into it.

Nepatsfan

Lou
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:46:17 -0400, "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com>
wrote:

>Lou wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> You are correct. I was selecting Windows XP Home Edition
>> SP2 rather than Windows XP SP2. Thanks.
>>
>> I did check my neighbor's system to determine the correct
>> updates to download. I copied the update numbers and sizes.
>> The sizes shown from Windows Update Catalog are all larger
>> than that shown on my neighbor's system. Any comments on
>> this observations.
>>
>> Again thanks.
>>
>> Lou
>
>I've found that this happens occasionaly. Often updates for
>Windows Media Player, Direct X and other Windows components
>will show up as a small file on the Windows Update site because
>it's only showing you the size of the installer file that gets
>downloaded. When that file is launched it then downloads just
>what's needed for that particular computer. The Windows Update
>Catalog, on the other hand, provides a sort of one size fits
>all file.
>
>Now if you're saying that every single update shows a different
>size then I'd concerned. My experience has been that as long as
>you match up the KB numbers you're fine. If you can, pass along
>some examples and I'll look into it.
>
>Nepatsfan
>
Legend: update: size1/size2: where size1 is size shown on windows
update, size2 is size of downloaded file.

kb890923: 1.1MB/4.0MB
kb893086: 1.2MB/4.5MB
kb893066: 420KB/769KB
kb890175: 540KB/665KB
kb890859: 1.3MB/5.9MB
kb885835: 393KB/3.0MB
kb885250: 362KB/769KB
kb873333: 440KB/1.7MB

Above are examples of size differences. Of the 18 updates only 3 have
the same size (kb886181, windows installer 3.1, .net framework sp).
All the other have size differences as shown above.

Thanks again.

Lou

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Lou wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:46:17 -0400, "Nepatsfan"
> <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote:
>
>> Lou wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> You are correct. I was selecting Windows XP Home Edition
>>> SP2 rather than Windows XP SP2. Thanks.
>>>
>>> I did check my neighbor's system to determine the correct
>>> updates to download. I copied the update numbers and
>>> sizes. The sizes shown from Windows Update Catalog are all
>>> larger than that shown on my neighbor's system. Any
>>> comments on this observations.
>>>
>>> Again thanks.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>
>> I've found that this happens occasionaly. Often updates for
>> Windows Media Player, Direct X and other Windows components
>> will show up as a small file on the Windows Update site
>> because it's only showing you the size of the installer
>> file that gets downloaded. When that file is launched it
>> then downloads just what's needed for that particular
>> computer. The Windows Update Catalog, on the other hand,
>> provides a sort of one size fits all file.
>>
>> Now if you're saying that every single update shows a
>> different size then I'd concerned. My experience has been
>> that as long as you match up the KB numbers you're fine. If
>> you can, pass along some examples and I'll look into it.
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>
> Legend: update: size1/size2: where size1 is size shown on
> windows update, size2 is size of downloaded file.
>
> kb890923: 1.1MB/4.0MB
> kb893086: 1.2MB/4.5MB
> kb893066: 420KB/769KB
> kb890175: 540KB/665KB
> kb890859: 1.3MB/5.9MB
> kb885835: 393KB/3.0MB
> kb885250: 362KB/769KB
> kb873333: 440KB/1.7MB
>
> Above are examples of size differences. Of the 18 updates
> only 3 have the same size (kb886181, windows installer 3.1,
> .net framework sp). All the other have size differences as
> shown above.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Lou

The sizes in the catalog are correct. Note the download
size listed in these articles:

KB890923
http://tinyurl.com/4fybw

KB893086
http://tinyurl.com/a6abb

KB893066
http://tinyurl.com/azjej

KB890175
http://tinyurl.com/64g7k

KB890859
http://tinyurl.com/d3k7d

KB885835
http://tinyurl.com/b7wjr

KB885250
http://tinyurl.com/ccpey

KB873333
http://tinyurl.com/97vkl

I don't know why there's such a large discrepency between the
two numbers. You might want to ask that question in the
microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup.

All I can tell you is that since I've had broadband (2 years)
I've used this approach to update computers that had
dial-up. I've never had a problem with any of the files I've
downloaded through the catalog.

Whenever I've applied these updates I've followed two rules.
First, if I get a notice to restart the computer after
installing an update I do it immediately. There's a way to run
all the updates at once and then reboot but I'd rather be safe
than sorry. Second, once I've installed all the updates I
downloaded I go to the Windows Update site to check for
additional updates. Occasionally, I'll find that there's
already an update for one of the items I just installed. You'll
probably find one for the .net framework.

Another thing, was kb886181 a typo? I think you may have meant
kb 886185.

Good luck

Nepatsfan


Windows Update Catalog