No Logon Windows XP Home Edition



ChrisH
07-10-2005, 12:54 AM
When booting, mu laptop has no logon option, just the Windows logo screen. I
tried all the options in Safe Mode. I also tried booting from the system
recovery disk, but it doesn't offer the Repair option. When I exit from a
full restore, however, I have the DOS prompt.

Is there any way to fix this short of reinstalling XP?

Chris

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:54 AM
ChrisH wrote:

> When booting, mu laptop has no logon option, just the Windows logo screen. I
> tried all the options in Safe Mode. I also tried booting from the system
> recovery disk, but it doesn't offer the Repair option. When I exit from a
> full restore, however, I have the DOS prompt.
>
> Is there any way to fix this short of reinstalling XP?
>
> Chris

You're post is not that clear. What is the system configuration? What
exactly happens when the computer boots? Does it hang somewhere or go
into a rebooting loop or what? Does it never get to the the welcome
screen or logon screen? Any error messages?

What happened when you tried the various safe mode options?

One thing to start with, if you don't have a full backup of all
important data is to slave the drive in another XP computer and copy the
important data that way.


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

ChrisH
07-10-2005, 12:54 AM
"Rock" wrote:

> ChrisH wrote:
>
> > When booting, mu laptop has no logon option, just the Windows logo screen. I
> > tried all the options in Safe Mode. I also tried booting from the system
> > recovery disk, but it doesn't offer the Repair option. When I exit from a
> > full restore, however, I have the DOS prompt.
> >
> > Is there any way to fix this short of reinstalling XP?
> >
> > Chris
>
> You're post is not that clear. What is the system configuration? What
> exactly happens when the computer boots? Does it hang somewhere or go
> into a rebooting loop or what? Does it never get to the the welcome
> screen or logon screen? Any error messages?
>
> What happened when you tried the various safe mode options?
>
> One thing to start with, if you don't have a full backup of all
> important data is to slave the drive in another XP computer and copy the
> important data that way.
>
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
I don't know how to answer the question about system configuration.

There are no error messages when the computer boots. The welcome screen is
displayed (dark blue banners top and bottom with Windows logo) without any
logon box. Same thing happens in all Safe Mode options.

How do I slave drive to another computer.>

Thanks for your help.

Chris
>

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
ChrisH wrote:

>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>
>>ChrisH wrote:
>>
>>
>>>When booting, mu laptop has no logon option, just the Windows logo screen. I
>>>tried all the options in Safe Mode. I also tried booting from the system
>>>recovery disk, but it doesn't offer the Repair option. When I exit from a
>>>full restore, however, I have the DOS prompt.
>>>
>>>Is there any way to fix this short of reinstalling XP?
>>>
>>>Chris
>>
>>You're post is not that clear. What is the system configuration? What
>>exactly happens when the computer boots? Does it hang somewhere or go
>>into a rebooting loop or what? Does it never get to the the welcome
>>screen or logon screen? Any error messages?
>>
>>What happened when you tried the various safe mode options?
>>
>>One thing to start with, if you don't have a full backup of all
>>important data is to slave the drive in another XP computer and copy the
>>important data that way.
>>
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>
>
> I don't know how to answer the question about system configuration.
>
> There are no error messages when the computer boots. The welcome screen is
> displayed (dark blue banners top and bottom with Windows logo) without any
> logon box. Same thing happens in all Safe Mode options.
>
> How do I slave drive to another computer.>
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Chris
>

At the welcome screen do ctrl-alt-del twice. Does that bring up a logon
box? If so enter the user name and password.


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

ChrisH
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
No response to ctrl-alt-del.

"Rock" wrote:

> ChrisH wrote:
>
> >
> > "Rock" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>ChrisH wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>When booting, mu laptop has no logon option, just the Windows logo screen. I
> >>>tried all the options in Safe Mode. I also tried booting from the system
> >>>recovery disk, but it doesn't offer the Repair option. When I exit from a
> >>>full restore, however, I have the DOS prompt.
> >>>
> >>>Is there any way to fix this short of reinstalling XP?
> >>>
> >>>Chris
> >>
> >>You're post is not that clear. What is the system configuration? What
> >>exactly happens when the computer boots? Does it hang somewhere or go
> >>into a rebooting loop or what? Does it never get to the the welcome
> >>screen or logon screen? Any error messages?
> >>
> >>What happened when you tried the various safe mode options?
> >>
> >>One thing to start with, if you don't have a full backup of all
> >>important data is to slave the drive in another XP computer and copy the
> >>important data that way.
> >>
> >>
> >>--
> >>Rock
> >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >>
> >
> > I don't know how to answer the question about system configuration.
> >
> > There are no error messages when the computer boots. The welcome screen is
> > displayed (dark blue banners top and bottom with Windows logo) without any
> > logon box. Same thing happens in all Safe Mode options.
> >
> > How do I slave drive to another computer.>
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Chris
> >
>
> At the welcome screen do ctrl-alt-del twice. Does that bring up a logon
> box? If so enter the user name and password.
>
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
>

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
ChrisH wrote:

> No response to ctrl-alt-del.
Hi,

You need to boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly early in
the computer/Windows startup process)


Note that you need to press ctrl-alt-del twice.


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

ChrisH
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
that doesn't work. nothing seems to get me past the welcome screen.

Chris

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> ChrisH wrote:
>
> > No response to ctrl-alt-del.
> Hi,
>
> You need to boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly early in
> the computer/Windows startup process)
>
>
> Note that you need to press ctrl-alt-del twice.
>
>
> --
> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
>

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
ChrisH wrote:

> that doesn't work. nothing seems to get me past the welcome screen.
>
> Chris
>
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>
>
>>ChrisH wrote:
>>
>>
>>>No response to ctrl-alt-del.
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>You need to boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly early in
>>the computer/Windows startup process)
>>
>>
>>Note that you need to press ctrl-alt-del twice.
>>
>>
>>--
>>torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
>>the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
>>

What changes did you make to the system prior to this occurring? When
did this start?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

ChrisH
07-10-2005, 12:56 AM
It's my son's laptop. I'm sure he visited a site that downloaded a virus.

"Rock" wrote:

> ChrisH wrote:
>
> > that doesn't work. nothing seems to get me past the welcome screen.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>ChrisH wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>No response to ctrl-alt-del.
> >>
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>You need to boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly early in
> >>the computer/Windows startup process)
> >>
> >>
> >>Note that you need to press ctrl-alt-del twice.
> >>
> >>
> >>--
> >>torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> >>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> >>the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
> >>
>
> What changes did you make to the system prior to this occurring? When
> did this start?
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
>

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:56 AM
ChrisH wrote:

> It's my son's laptop. I'm sure he visited a site that downloaded a virus.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>
>>ChrisH wrote:
>>
>>
>>>that doesn't work. nothing seems to get me past the welcome screen.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>
>>>"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>ChrisH wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>No response to ctrl-alt-del.
>>>>
>>>>Hi,
>>>>
>>>>You need to boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly early in
>>>>the computer/Windows startup process)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Note that you need to press ctrl-alt-del twice.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>--
>>>>torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>>>>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
>>>>the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
>>>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
>>>>
>>
>>What changes did you make to the system prior to this occurring? When
>>did this start?
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>
>>

Are you sure the laptop is clean? What steps have you taken to remove
malware? There could still be some on the system. If you need more
information on removing malware post back. Otherwise I don't have much
else to suggest other than slaving the drive to another XP system and
backing up essential data. Then try a repair install:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Note that if the system is not clean then a repair install probably
won't help. The next option is a clean install:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

stuart sykes via WindowsKB.com
07-10-2005, 12:56 AM
i lost the cert of auth for windows xp home edition tried microsoft
but no joy can,t get wifes machine running any ideas

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:56 AM
stuart sykes via WindowsKB.com wrote:

> i lost the cert of auth for windows xp home edition tried microsoft
> but no joy can,t get wifes machine running any ideas

First off you posted this message as a reply to another thread and your
message has nothing to do with that thread. Not a good idea to hijack a
different thread. Next time create a new one.

As to your problem if XP came pre installed with the system it's OEM.
You need to contact the computer manufacturer for help with that.

If it's a retail version then see this link:
How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


No Logon Windows XP Home Edition