Importing backed up dbx files into Outlook Express



John
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents and
settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching I have
located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new Outlook
Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express by
locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the new
ones, but it doesn’t work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any idea
how I can get my messages back??

Many thanks John

--
J

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
John wrote:
> Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents and
> settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching I have
> located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new Outlook
> Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express by
> locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the new
> ones, but it doesn’t work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any idea
> how I can get my messages back??
>
> Many thanks John
>

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Been there and played that game John.

I think, from the last time I did this, I had to copy all the .dbx files
from the old installation over in order for them to be picked up (and
that was from Win98 to 2k if I remember aright).

I'm guessing here, but is your 'new' profile called the same thing as
your 'old' profile as XP can be funny about such things.

Kerry Brown
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
"John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8DF1602E-B24A-4CA3-8A6C-6271BF044242@microsoft.com...
> Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents
> and
> settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching I
> have
> located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new Outlook
> Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express by
> locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the
> new
> ones, but it doesn't work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any
> idea
> how I can get my messages back??
>
> Many thanks John
>
> --
> J

Did you try File -> Import -> Messages?

Kerry

Neil UK
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
To find the place where your dbx folder should be placed, first make sure you
can see hidden files and folders. To do this, go to Control
Panel\FolderOptions\View and check Show hidden files and folders. Apply and
exit. Then go to C:\documents and settings\Your username\local
settings\application data\identities\{GUID}\microsoft\outlook express. You
can delete the folder ourtlook express which should be empty.Then drag and
drop your DBX folder or contents into outlook express. I usually make sure
that the DBX folder is named "Outlook Express". Then the files should show up
in OE when you open it. Whenever you want to back them up again, you can get
to the outlook express folder and drag it to a back up place. I use an
external hard drive for this purpose.

Please let me know if this works for you.
--
Neil UK


"John" wrote:

> Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents and
> settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching I have
> located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new Outlook
> Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express by
> locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the new
> ones, but it doesn’t work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any idea
> how I can get my messages back??
>
> Many thanks John
>
> --
> J

John
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Yes I did try File-Import-Messages, but when I browsed to the folder where my
archived dbx files are kept it said there were no files there or that another
application was using them. Strange, because the files are there. My new
profile is a different name to the old one too.
J


"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8DF1602E-B24A-4CA3-8A6C-6271BF044242@microsoft.com...
> > Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents
> > and
> > settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching I
> > have
> > located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new Outlook
> > Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express by
> > locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the
> > new
> > ones, but it doesn't work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any
> > idea
> > how I can get my messages back??
> >
> > Many thanks John
> >
> > --
> > J
>
> Did you try File -> Import -> Messages?
>
> Kerry
>
>
>

Kerry Brown
07-09-2005, 11:55 PM
"John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A7AFBB8A-5137-48C3-BA34-AD370FEBC6A3@microsoft.com...
> Yes I did try File-Import-Messages, but when I browsed to the folder where
> my
> archived dbx files are kept it said there were no files there or that
> another
> application was using them. Strange, because the files are there. My new
> profile is a different name to the old one too.
> J

As you copied them from CD they may be marked read only. Try changing the
read only attribute and see if that helps. If that's not it sometimes just
copying them to a new folder will work.

Kerry


>
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:8DF1602E-B24A-4CA3-8A6C-6271BF044242@microsoft.com...
>> > Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents
>> > and
>> > settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching
>> > I
>> > have
>> > located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new
>> > Outlook
>> > Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express
>> > by
>> > locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the
>> > new
>> > ones, but it doesn't work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any
>> > idea
>> > how I can get my messages back??
>> >
>> > Many thanks John
>> >
>> > --
>> > J
>>
>> Did you try File -> Import -> Messages?
>>
>> Kerry
>>
>>
>>

John
07-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi Neil
No it didn't work. I can get it to restore my Norton Anti-Spam folder but
the rest of the folders it does not recognise.
--
J


"Neil UK" wrote:

> To find the place where your dbx folder should be placed, first make sure you
> can see hidden files and folders. To do this, go to Control
> Panel\FolderOptions\View and check Show hidden files and folders. Apply and
> exit. Then go to C:\documents and settings\Your username\local
> settings\application data\identities\{GUID}\microsoft\outlook express. You
> can delete the folder ourtlook express which should be empty.Then drag and
> drop your DBX folder or contents into outlook express. I usually make sure
> that the DBX folder is named "Outlook Express". Then the files should show up
> in OE when you open it. Whenever you want to back them up again, you can get
> to the outlook express folder and drag it to a back up place. I use an
> external hard drive for this purpose.
>
> Please let me know if this works for you.
> --
> Neil UK
>
>
> "John" wrote:
>
> > Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents and
> > settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching I have
> > located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new Outlook
> > Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express by
> > locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the new
> > ones, but it doesn’t work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any idea
> > how I can get my messages back??
> >
> > Many thanks John
> >
> > --
> > J

PA Bear
07-09-2005, 11:55 PM
References:

Backup & Restore OE Data
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/index.htm
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

OE Files & Settings
http://www.insideoe.com/files/index.htm

OE Registry Keys
http://www.insideoe.com/files/regkeys.htm

Importing OE Data
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx

OE Freebie Backup
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

Using WinXP's FAST Wizard, by MVP Gary Woodruff
(Please read the caveats about Outlook Express)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

John wrote:
> Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents
> and settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much
> searching I have located my dbx files but can not see to import them into
> the new Outlook Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his
> outlook express by locating the storage folder and then copying the old
> dbx files over the new ones, but it doesn?Tt work for me for some
> reason. Does anybody have any idea how I can get my messages back??
>
> Many thanks John

John
07-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks for all your help but none of it has worked. I even tried software
that was supposed to recover corrupted dbx files and that couldn't solve the
problem. I think the dbx files must be beyond repair. Funnily enough my
brother's and my dad's email messages could be restored without a problem,
and they were backed up at the same time.I GIVE UP
--
J


"John" wrote:

> Recently I have reformatted my hard drive, but I backed up my documents and
> settings using the back up utility in Windows XP. After much searching I have
> located my dbx files but can not see to import them into the new Outlook
> Express. I managed to import my dads dbx files into his outlook express by
> locating the storage folder and then copying the old dbx files over the new
> ones, but it doesn’t work for me for some reason. Does anybody have any idea
> how I can get my messages back??
>
> Many thanks John
>
> --
> J


Importing backed up dbx files into Outlook Express