cant add new user ?



poppy
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
A while ago , i deleted my son and daughters user accounts on the pc because
they always just logged into my name, they still logged onto the internet in
thier own aol names , but we all used my windows log on name, now i have
decided it would be best to give my son his own windows log on , for various
reasons, but when i try to " add new user" through control panel , i get this
:-
Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that
you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning
correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.


DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.

we are not on a network , it is a home pc , and no one but us three use it,
can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong please. Thank you

Pegasus \(MVP\)
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
"poppy" <poppy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:845DE34F-F875-4FF4-92F9-72023FEDCBAF@microsoft.com...
> A while ago , i deleted my son and daughters user accounts on the pc
because
> they always just logged into my name, they still logged onto the internet
in
> thier own aol names , but we all used my windows log on name, now i have
> decided it would be best to give my son his own windows log on , for
various
> reasons, but when i try to " add new user" through control panel , i get
this
> :-
> Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check
that
> you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning
> correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
>
>
> DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> we are not on a network , it is a home pc , and no one but us three use
it,
> can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong please. Thank you
>

There appears to be a contradiction in your post:
- You say that you're trying to add a new user through the Control Panel.
This implies that you're logged on.
- You then say that Windows cannot log you on.
This implies that you're not logged on.

Do you perhaps mean that you cannot log on under the newly
created account? If so then this might be caused by the hidden
folder "c:\documents and settings\default user" having inappropriate
NTFS permissions.

poppy
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

>
> "poppy" <poppy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:845DE34F-F875-4FF4-92F9-72023FEDCBAF@microsoft.com...
> > A while ago , i deleted my son and daughters user accounts on the pc
> because
> > they always just logged into my name, they still logged onto the internet
> in
> > thier own aol names , but we all used my windows log on name, now i have
> > decided it would be best to give my son his own windows log on , for
> various
> > reasons, but when i try to " add new user" through control panel , i get
> this
> > :-
> > Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check
> that
> > you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning
> > correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
> >
> >
> > DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > we are not on a network , it is a home pc , and no one but us three use
> it,
> > can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong please. Thank you
> >
>
> There appears to be a contradiction in your post:
> - You say that you're trying to add a new user through the Control Panel.
> This implies that you're logged on.
> - You then say that Windows cannot log you on.
> This implies that you're not logged on.
>
> Do you perhaps mean that you cannot log on under the newly
> created account? If so then this might be caused by the hidden
> folder "c:\documents and settings\default user" having inappropriate
> NTFS permissions.
>
>
> Ok , i didnt explain that very well , i added new user , then logged off and tried to log on in the new name, just to see that it was al ok, but i got that message :-

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check
that
> you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning
> correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
>
>
> DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified
But i have tried again, and this time , when i went to log on in new name, i
got another message ,i didnt copy this message so i cant remember it all ,
but it was logging me in on the newly created user account , as default user,
i thought , ok see what happens, now i can log on to the new name , and i
proceeded to copy all the music on my side to my sons ( new user) music
folder , but when i first logged in , the Internet explorer and aol were on
the start menu, now they dont show up , and they are ticked to show up in
start menu and taskbar properties, and also i cannot change the desktop, it
comes up with a full colour screen, which i can change the colour of , but
cant get pictures on, the chosen picture seems to appear just befrore welcome
screen , but when the desktop appears there is no picture , when i am in
control panel , it shows the picture in display properties , in" change
desktop background", so i dont know where to go from here, thanks for your
reply


cant add new user ?