booting issue



Andrew Bullock
07-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi

If I try and boot XP from my IDE drive, using a serillel converter to
make it SATA, it works just as it always has.

However removing the adaptor and trying to boot as plain old ide, causes
windows to hang at the very start of the progress bar loading page :s

Any ideas?


Thanks

Andrew

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Yes! Why are you switching back and forth?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Andrew Bullock" <trullockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:pNLme.3355$Ri4.2193@newsfe4-win.ntli.net...
> Hi
>
> If I try and boot XP from my IDE drive, using a serillel converter to make
> it SATA, it works just as it always has.
>
> However removing the adaptor and trying to boot as plain old ide, causes
> windows to hang at the very start of the progress bar loading page :s
>
> Any ideas?
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew

Andrew Bullock
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Richard Urban wrote:
> Yes! Why are you switching back and forth?
>
Because I want to reinstall windows, and its what i've always done,
never had a problem doing it before.

Much easier to do that then bother to install a floppy drive, find some
sata drivers, find a floppy disk etc...


Anyway thats not the point :P


Whats going on?!?!?!!

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
An IDE drive and a SATA drive are not electronically the same (different
interface). I wouldn't be surprised if you have not damaged the IDE drive or
M/B circuits somehow. Anyway, without having the drive to test it would be
impossible to say. I have come across a small handful of drives that have
been damaged as such, along with one M/B.

Just because a company in Chang Liu province makes an adapter does not mean
that the adapter is safe.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Andrew Bullock" <trullockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:E8Mme.2423$s25.1853@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> Yes! Why are you switching back and forth?
>>
> Because I want to reinstall windows, and its what i've always done, never
> had a problem doing it before.
>
> Much easier to do that then bother to install a floppy drive, find some
> sata drivers, find a floppy disk etc...
>
>
> Anyway thats not the point :P
>
>
> Whats going on?!?!?!!

Andrew Bullock
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Richard Urban wrote:
> An IDE drive and a SATA drive are not electronically the same (different
> interface). I wouldn't be surprised if you have not damaged the IDE drive or
> M/B circuits somehow. Anyway, without having the drive to test it would be
> impossible to say. I have come across a small handful of drives that have
> been damaged as such, along with one M/B.
>
> Just because a company in Chang Liu province makes an adapter does not mean
> that the adapter is safe.
>


Damaged it how, by using the adaptor? It came with my NF7 motherboard :s
I don't think the drive is damaged because im using it now to write this!


When i boot to the XP cd, it cant recognise any partitions on the drive,
instead only the whole size as unrecognised :s

How can I ensure that my partition table / whatever else's integrity is
correct, and if its broken, correct it?

I dont understand how it works via the adaptor, but not without?

Thanks

Andrew

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
I am thinking that when you switch back and forth you are modifying the boot
record to match the new drive configuration. The drive remembers the last
configuration and appears to be locked in on it. If you want to use it in
IDE mode again you will probably have to delete everything on it, create new
partitions and format same.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Andrew Bullock" <trullockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fDNme.1872$cN2.1860@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> An IDE drive and a SATA drive are not electronically the same (different
>> interface). I wouldn't be surprised if you have not damaged the IDE drive
>> or M/B circuits somehow. Anyway, without having the drive to test it
>> would be impossible to say. I have come across a small handful of drives
>> that have been damaged as such, along with one M/B.
>>
>> Just because a company in Chang Liu province makes an adapter does not
>> mean that the adapter is safe.
>>
>
>
> Damaged it how, by using the adaptor? It came with my NF7 motherboard :s I
> don't think the drive is damaged because im using it now to write this!
>
>
> When i boot to the XP cd, it cant recognise any partitions on the drive,
> instead only the whole size as unrecognised :s
>
> How can I ensure that my partition table / whatever else's integrity is
> correct, and if its broken, correct it?
>
> I dont understand how it works via the adaptor, but not without?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Also, when you switch back and forth you may have to make adjustments in the
bios.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OeZgBPXZFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I am thinking that when you switch back and forth you are modifying the
>boot record to match the new drive configuration. The drive remembers the
>last configuration and appears to be locked in on it. If you want to use it
>in IDE mode again you will probably have to delete everything on it, create
>new partitions and format same.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
> "Andrew Bullock" <trullockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:fDNme.1872$cN2.1860@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
>> Richard Urban wrote:
>>> An IDE drive and a SATA drive are not electronically the same (different
>>> interface). I wouldn't be surprised if you have not damaged the IDE
>>> drive or M/B circuits somehow. Anyway, without having the drive to test
>>> it would be impossible to say. I have come across a small handful of
>>> drives that have been damaged as such, along with one M/B.
>>>
>>> Just because a company in Chang Liu province makes an adapter does not
>>> mean that the adapter is safe.
>>>
>>
>>
>> Damaged it how, by using the adaptor? It came with my NF7 motherboard :s
>> I don't think the drive is damaged because im using it now to write this!
>>
>>
>> When i boot to the XP cd, it cant recognise any partitions on the drive,
>> instead only the whole size as unrecognised :s
>>
>> How can I ensure that my partition table / whatever else's integrity is
>> correct, and if its broken, correct it?
>>
>> I dont understand how it works via the adaptor, but not without?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andrew
>
>

Stephen
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Richard Urban wrote:
>> Also, when you switch back and forth you may have to make
>> adjustments in the bios.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>

That's what I was thinking, if I read him correctly, he has the same drive
is switching out a different interface - so that might be friggin the BIOS
settings.

Andrew Bullock
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Stephen wrote:
> Richard Urban wrote:
>
>>>Also, when you switch back and forth you may have to make
>>>adjustments in the bios.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Richard Urban
>>>
>
>
> That's what I was thinking, if I read him correctly, he has the same drive
> is switching out a different interface - so that might be friggin the BIOS
> settings.
>
>


Its always worked in the past though, so whats changed?

Thanks

Andrew

Stephen
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Andrew Bullock wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>> Richard Urban wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Also, when you switch back and forth you may have to make
>>>>> adjustments in the bios.
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>
>>>>> Richard Urban
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> That's what I was thinking, if I read him correctly, he has the
>>> same drive is switching out a different interface - so that might
>>> be friggin the BIOS settings.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> Its always worked in the past though, so whats changed?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andrew

BIOS can get ryght fussy samtymes .. samtymes you jus' gotta give it the 'ol
reesayt.


booting issue