Unwanted shortcuts



donbowyer
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it is
placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times, I get
7 shortcuts.
What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
--
donwb

Jonybrv
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
MS Word / Excel would be creating a temporary file whenever you open a
document. This should be automatically deleted when you close the document.
Does it not ? This is normal.

--
Jonybrv


"donbowyer" wrote:

> Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it is
> placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times, I get
> 7 shortcuts.
> What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
> --
> donwb

donbowyer
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi Jonybrv. No they are not deleted when I close the document. I have to do
it manually.
--
donwb


"Jonybrv" wrote:

> MS Word / Excel would be creating a temporary file whenever you open a
> document. This should be automatically deleted when you close the document.
> Does it not ? This is normal.
>
> --
> Jonybrv
>
>
> "donbowyer" wrote:
>
> > Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it is
> > placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times, I get
> > 7 shortcuts.
> > What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
> > --
> > donwb

Malke
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
donbowyer wrote:

> Hi Jonybrv. No they are not deleted when I close the document. I have
> to do it manually.

Try posting your question in one of the newsgroups for MS Office. Here
is a list of all the MS newsgroups so you can find the right one for
your question:

http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Wesley Vogel
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
HOW TO: Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875

HOW TO: Configure a System Policy to Control the Recently Used File List in
an Office XP Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307949

HOW TO: Clear the Most Recently Used Files List in an Office 2003 Program by
Modifying the Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826208

HOW TO: Clear the Most Recently Used Files List in an Office XP Program by
Modifying the Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312968



--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B136D998-0EBA-486B-82B2-83313A10FC75@microsoft.com,
donbowyer <donbowyer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Jonybrv. No they are not deleted when I close the document. I have to
> do it manually.
> --
> donwb
>
>
> "Jonybrv" wrote:
>
>> MS Word / Excel would be creating a temporary file whenever you open a
>> document. This should be automatically deleted when you close the
>> document. Does it not ? This is normal.
>>
>> --
>> Jonybrv
>>
>>
>> "donbowyer" wrote:
>>
>>> Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it is
>>> placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times,
>>> I get 7 shortcuts.
>>> What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
>>> --
>>> donwb

t.cruise
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Is it possible that you have the speech recognition enabled, and that your microphone is
not muted?
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply



"donbowyer" <donbowyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:95976F1C-EE3A-4BF4-B536-619727A50B96@microsoft.com...
> Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it is
> placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times, I get
> 7 shortcuts.
> What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
> --
> donwb

Jonybrv
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Give us some more information on this.

Do you see any difference in the file name that you open and the one that is
saved under "c:\documents and settings\me" ?

Do you have the original file in the same folder ?

--
Jonybrv


"donbowyer" wrote:

> Hi Jonybrv. No they are not deleted when I close the document. I have to do
> it manually.
> --
> donwb
>
>
> "Jonybrv" wrote:
>
> > MS Word / Excel would be creating a temporary file whenever you open a
> > document. This should be automatically deleted when you close the document.
> > Does it not ? This is normal.
> >
> > --
> > Jonybrv
> >
> >
> > "donbowyer" wrote:
> >
> > > Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it is
> > > placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times, I get
> > > 7 shortcuts.
> > > What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
> > > --
> > > donwb

donbowyer
07-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Many thanks to all who tried to help with this problem.
It's taken a while to sort it, but turns out it was due to some software I
installed which plays with Windows XP Shell. I removed it & the problem went.
Thanks again
Don
--
donwb


"t.cruise" wrote:

> Is it possible that you have the speech recognition enabled, and that your microphone is
> not muted?
> --
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>
>
>
> "donbowyer" <donbowyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:95976F1C-EE3A-4BF4-B536-619727A50B96@microsoft.com...
> > Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it is
> > placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times, I get
> > 7 shortcuts.
> > What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
> > --
> > donwb
>
>
>

Kelly
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi Don,

Which software was that?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"donbowyer" <donbowyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:97F07C54-688A-4AFC-B24A-D80D97109395@microsoft.com...
> Many thanks to all who tried to help with this problem.
> It's taken a while to sort it, but turns out it was due to some software I
> installed which plays with Windows XP Shell. I removed it & the problem
> went.
> Thanks again
> Don
> --
> donwb
>
>
> "t.cruise" wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that you have the speech recognition enabled, and that
>> your microphone is
>> not muted?
>> --
>>
>> T.C.
>> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
>> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>>
>>
>>
>> "donbowyer" <donbowyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:95976F1C-EE3A-4BF4-B536-619727A50B96@microsoft.com...
>> > Suddenly, whenever I open an Excel or Word document, a shortcut to it
>> > is
>> > placed in c:\documents and settings\me. If I open the same doc 7 times,
>> > I get
>> > 7 shortcuts.
>> > What's causing this, and how do I stop it?
>> > --
>> > donwb
>>
>>
>>


Unwanted shortcuts