Is this a windows xp bug?



Jones
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi

On my task bar I have set my windows update icon in the notification area to
"allways be hidden", it just does not work, even after a reboot.

Can anybody tell me why this would suddenly stop working. The same applies
to the windows messenger icon

Thorsten Matzner
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
"Jones" <jones@noreply.com> wrote:

>On my task bar I have set my windows update icon in the notification area to
>"allways be hidden", it just does not work, even after a reboot.
>Can anybody tell me why this would suddenly stop working. The same applies
>to the windows messenger icon

Resetting the settings for the icons may help: "How to Clear Past
Items from the Notification Area"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283084).

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> On my task bar I have set my windows update icon in the notification
> area to "allways be hidden", it just does not work, even after a
> reboot.

Do you mean the Automatic Updats icon? I just turn Auto Update off, and
subscribe to the Security Bulletins. MS seems to post new updates
slower to Auto Update than any place else.

See http://www.microscum.com/comsense/ for more on why and how to take
control of MS's patchwork quilt of an OS.

> Can anybody tell me why this would suddenly stop working.

It's just another layer of BS to go wrong with the updating process. If
MS could write bulletin resistant code in the first place, there would
hardly be any need to have to patch it all the time. Turn it off.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread4670.html

> The same
> applies to the windows messenger icon

Again I uninstall it. Though MS reinstalls it with certain patches and
with service packs, and when that happens, I just uninstall it again.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Jones
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:%237$rrnEZFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Jones wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On my task bar I have set my windows update icon in the notification
>> area to "allways be hidden", it just does not work, even after a
>> reboot.
>
> Do you mean the Automatic Updats icon?

Yah! Exactly that! When I turned it back on, it started behaving properly,
ie it dissapeared like I have requested it to do.

I just turn Auto Update off, and
> subscribe to the Security Bulletins. MS seems to post new updates slower
> to Auto Update than any place else.
>
> See http://www.microscum.com/comsense/ for more on why and how to take
> control of MS's patchwork quilt of an OS.
>
>> Can anybody tell me why this would suddenly stop working.
>
> It's just another layer of BS to go wrong with the updating process. If
> MS could write bulletin resistant code in the first place, there would
> hardly be any need to have to patch it all the time. Turn it off.
>
> http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread4670.html
>
>> The same
>> applies to the windows messenger icon
>
> Again I uninstall it. Though MS reinstalls it with certain patches and
> with service packs, and when that happens, I just uninstall it again.
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm


Well I have been installing alot of patches again recently. This might
explain why it keeps reapearing every time I uninstall it!!!
Your a genius! I kept uninstalling it and it reapeared like magic !! But now
you mention installing updates, yesterday I was installing alot of new
updates so that might well be the problem sherlock!!

>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>


Is this a windows xp bug?