DOS commands go bye-bye



Bill Smiff
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and ping
and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I had
this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a reload
anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was back.
Anyone have any ideas on this???

Pavel
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
When you say that these programs are gone...do you mean that the programs
are no longer on the hard drive or the programs do not execute or do the
programs execute but then close before you have a chance to see the results?

--
Pavel


"Bill Smiff" <me@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:yp%le.16679$IC6.388@attbi_s72...
>I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and ping
>and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I
>had this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a
>reload anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was
>back. Anyone have any ideas on this???
>

David Candy
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Type path, what does it say?
"Bill Smiff" <me@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:yp%le.16679$IC6.388@attbi_s72...
> I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and ping
> and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I
had
> this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a
reload
> anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was back.
> Anyone have any ideas on this???
>
>

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Bill Smiff wrote:

> I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and ping
> and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I had
> this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a reload
> anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was back.
> Anyone have any ideas on this???
Hi,

It could be that you have a path issue, I suggest you download and
run Fixpath.exe:

Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Bill Smiff
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
It says: 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OR3w9W5YFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> When you say that these programs are gone...do you mean that the programs
> are no longer on the hard drive or the programs do not execute or do the
> programs execute but then close before you have a chance to see the
> results?
>
> --
> Pavel
>
>
> "Bill Smiff" <me@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:yp%le.16679$IC6.388@attbi_s72...
>>I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and ping
>>and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I
>>had this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a
>>reload anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was
>>back. Anyone have any ideas on this???
>>
>
>

Bill Smiff
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I downloaded it and ran it but it goes away too fast for me to read what it
says and then just closes. Commands still don't work. That was a pretty good
site you gave me, I downloaded some other tools that I might find usefull.
Thanks.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
news:e93fDO6YFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Bill Smiff wrote:
>
>> I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and ping
>> and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I
>> had
>> this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a
>> reload
>> anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was back.
>> Anyone have any ideas on this???
> Hi,
>
> It could be that you have a path issue, I suggest you download and
> run Fixpath.exe:
>
> Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
> http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
>
>
> --
> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Don Wiss
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:40:30 GMT, Bill Smiff <me@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and ping
>and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I had
>this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a reload
>anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was back.
>Anyone have any ideas on this???

If you like to use DOS commands I recommend you install the "Open Command
Window Here" Power Toy from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

My ping.exe is in the c:\windows\system32 folder. And that folder is in my
path.

Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Bill Smiff
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Actually I guess they do work now if you change the dir to
c:\windows\system32, but I never had to do that before. So I guess this will
work for me. Thanks for all the help.
"Bill Smiff" <me@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:pY3me.17168$IC6.11537@attbi_s72...
>I downloaded it and ran it but it goes away too fast for me to read what it
>says and then just closes. Commands still don't work. That was a pretty
>good site you gave me, I downloaded some other tools that I might find
>usefull. Thanks.
>
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:e93fDO6YFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Bill Smiff wrote:
>>
>>> I have windows XP pro and for some reason commands like nslookup and
>>> ping
>>> and basically every other command that you would want to use, is gone. I
>>> had
>>> this happen before but it was around the time where I needed to do a
>>> reload
>>> anyway so it was no biggie because after the reload everything was back.
>>> Anyone have any ideas on this???
>> Hi,
>>
>> It could be that you have a path issue, I suggest you download and
>> run Fixpath.exe:
>>
>> Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
>> http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
>>
>>
>> --
>> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
>> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
>
>

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Bill Smiff wrote:

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
>>
>>It could be that you have a path issue, I suggest you download and
>>run Fixpath.exe:
>>
>>Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
>>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
>>
>
> I downloaded it and ran it but it goes away too fast for me to
> read what it says and then just closes. Commands still don't work.
Hi,

To see Fixpath's output, run it from a command prompt...


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Bill Smiff
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
The output is as follows:
The registry value type is correct <REG_EXPAND_SZ>.
The minimum required directories were found in the Path.

So this is telling me that everything is ok. The path fixer must have at
least fixed it so that I can run it if I change the directory to
C:\Windows\System32. I couldn't do that before so now it's back up and
running for me, as long as I change to that directory which is fine by me.
Before it didn't matter what directory I was in, it just always said that it
wasn't a command. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
news:eC0O5wGZFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Bill Smiff wrote:
>
>> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>It could be that you have a path issue, I suggest you download and
>>>run Fixpath.exe:
>>>
>>>Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
>>>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
>>>
>>
>> I downloaded it and ran it but it goes away too fast for me to
>> read what it says and then just closes. Commands still don't work.
> Hi,
>
> To see Fixpath's output, run it from a command prompt...
>
>
> --
> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Bill Smiff
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Too bad the "magic file" worked. You don't have to be all mad and pissy
because someone had a easy, quick solution. I'm not sure, but it might be
possible that someone else out there is actually smarter then you. I can
tell by your recent posts to me that you're not too smart.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:%23xNiihNZFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
You took the idiots option. You wouldn't breathe in an iron lung you lazy
pedophile.

One finds out what the problem is before running magic files.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Bill Smiff" <me@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:VZwme.18384$PS3.1843@attbi_s22...
> The output is as follows:
> The registry value type is correct <REG_EXPAND_SZ>.
> The minimum required directories were found in the Path.
>
> So this is telling me that everything is ok. The path fixer must have at
> least fixed it so that I can run it if I change the directory to
> C:\Windows\System32. I couldn't do that before so now it's back up and
> running for me, as long as I change to that directory which is fine by me.
> Before it didn't matter what directory I was in, it just always said that
> it
> wasn't a command. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
>
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:eC0O5wGZFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Bill Smiff wrote:
> >
> >> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>It could be that you have a path issue, I suggest you download and
> >>>run Fixpath.exe:
> >>>
> >>>Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
> >>>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
> >>>
> >>
> >> I downloaded it and ran it but it goes away too fast for me to
> >> read what it says and then just closes. Commands still don't work.
> > Hi,
> >
> > To see Fixpath's output, run it from a command prompt...
> >
> >
> > --
> > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
>
>

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:36:15 GMT, "Bill Smiff" <me@yahoo.com> wrote:

>It says: 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>operable program or batch file.

Ping is not a DOS command or program; it's a Win32 console
application. If you tried to run it from DOS mode, it wouldn't run.

As Ping.exe is just another loose program file, it will stop working
as a "command" (giving your particular error message) under any of the
following circumstances:
- the dir containing Ping.exe is not in the Path, nor is "current"
- the Ping.exe file is missing
- something else overrides Ping.exe and that runs a missing file

For example, let's say I create a Ping.bat that looks like this...

@Echo Off
Call SomeName %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

....but the SomeName.* file is missing or not found. If this PING.BAT
is "ahead" of the real Ping.exe and you enter Ping as a command, it
will be found and run - but when it in turn tries to find SomeName,
that fails with the "bad command or filename" type of error.

You may also have re-rirection affects at shortcut and AppPaths level.
Consider those, if more obvious causes (Find Ping.exe finds none, even
when hidden and system files and folders are included in the search,
running Set from a command line shows Path to be correct, etc.)



>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -

Stan Brown
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:42:54 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>You thought best did you. What a moron. Why did you bother asking at all you rude cocksucker.


Time to switch to decaf, I think.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"I feel a wave of morning sickness coming on, and I want to
be standing on your mother's grave when it hits."


DOS commands go bye-bye