Questions about multi tasking



News
07-10-2005, 12:47 AM
In general is it completely OK to do multi tasking activities, such as
installing software when I have got something else going on such as a
download or I'm uploading something from my pc to a server, or I am surfing
the net etc.

What about particularly when I am burning something on to a CD or I am
erasing a CD is it in any way possible for other activities to cause errors
on this kind of thing?

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:47 AM
News wrote:

> In general is it completely OK to do multi tasking activities, such as
> installing software when I have got something else going on such as a
> download or I'm uploading something from my pc to a server, or I am surfing
> the net etc.
>
> What about particularly when I am burning something on to a CD or I am
> erasing a CD is it in any way possible for other activities to cause errors
> on this kind of thing?
>
>

A good general rule for software installs is to turn off any AV programs
that are doing active scanning, and terminate all running applications.
So no, you shouldn't be doing other things while installing software.

CD/DVD burning takes quite a bit of computer resource so it depends on
your hardware. Doing other things while burning can cause a bad burn -
ie unreadable disc. You'll have to test it out on your system to see
what it an handle.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Don Burnette
07-10-2005, 12:47 AM
News wrote:
> In general is it completely OK to do multi tasking activities, such as
> installing software when I have got something else going on such as a
> download or I'm uploading something from my pc to a server, or I am
> surfing the net etc.
>
> What about particularly when I am burning something on to a CD or I am
> erasing a CD is it in any way possible for other activities to cause
> errors on this kind of thing?


System dependent. Check your processor useage and available ram while the
cd is burning.

I do some multitasking while i am burning dvd's, but i have a strong
processor and a gig of ram, so it does not tax the system too much.



--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

News
07-10-2005, 12:48 AM
"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ehjeDixYFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> News wrote:
>> In general is it completely OK to do multi tasking activities, such as
>> installing software when I have got something else going on such as a
>> download or I'm uploading something from my pc to a server, or I am
>> surfing the net etc.
>>
>> What about particularly when I am burning something on to a CD or I am
>> erasing a CD is it in any way possible for other activities to cause
>> errors on this kind of thing?
>
>
> System dependent. Check your processor useage and available ram while the
> cd is burning.
>
> I do some multitasking while i am burning dvd's, but i have a strong
> processor and a gig of ram, so it does not tax the system too much.
>
>
>
> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the man that's doing it."

Thanks Don! So in general it sounds like your saying that its fine as long
as your computer is powerful enough. I was really asking if there was any
reason that the computer somehow could get "confused" by doing so many
different tasks at once
>
>

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:48 AM
There is multi tasking and then there is "multi tasking".

If you want to be simultaneously typing a letter, listening to music and
researching on the web - go for it.

If, on the other hand, you are doing anything that may cost you money (bad
CD's), time (have to download a big file - again) or possibly destroy your
system (restoring an image to drive/partition E: while also installing
something such as Microsoft Office to drive D:) - THINK TWICE before you
start!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"News" <someone@someone.com> wrote in message
news:d783q1$1tb$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> In general is it completely OK to do multi tasking activities, such as
> installing software when I have got something else going on such as a
> download or I'm uploading something from my pc to a server, or I am
> surfing the net etc.
>
> What about particularly when I am burning something on to a CD or I am
> erasing a CD is it in any way possible for other activities to cause
> errors on this kind of thing?
>

News
07-10-2005, 12:48 AM
"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:epBTfM3YFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> There is multi tasking and then there is "multi tasking".
>
> If you want to be simultaneously typing a letter, listening to music and
> researching on the web - go for it.
>
> If, on the other hand, you are doing anything that may cost you money (bad
> CD's), time (have to download a big file - again) or possibly destroy your
> system (restoring an image to drive/partition E: while also installing
> something such as Microsoft Office to drive D:) - THINK TWICE before you
> start!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

Hi Richard
Sounds like good advice! Thanks
>
> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
> "News" <someone@someone.com> wrote in message
> news:d783q1$1tb$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> In general is it completely OK to do multi tasking activities, such as
>> installing software when I have got something else going on such as a
>> download or I'm uploading something from my pc to a server, or I am
>> surfing the net etc.
>>
>> What about particularly when I am burning something on to a CD or I am
>> erasing a CD is it in any way possible for other activities to cause
>> errors on this kind of thing?
>>
>
>

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:49 AM
News wrote:
> In general is it completely OK to do multi tasking activities, such as
> installing software when I have got something else going on such as a
> download or I'm uploading something from my pc to a server, or I am
> surfing the net etc.
>
> What about particularly when I am burning something on to a CD or I am
> erasing a CD is it in any way possible for other activities to cause
> errors on this kind of thing?

Installing software, I wouldn't ANYTHING else. Hell, I sometimes turn
off some things running in the background, depending on how hooked into
the OS the software I'm installing is.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"


Questions about multi tasking