Application Layer Gateway Service encountered a problem



designengineering
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
"and needed to close".

Please note the quote is a continuation of the phrase that would not fit in
the subject line.

C:\DOCUME~1\dei1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51d3.dir00\alg.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\dei1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51d3.dir00\appcompat.txtC:\DOCUME~1

Error Signuature:

szAppName : alg.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : atl.dll
szModVer : 3.5.2284.0 offset : 00003907

What can I do to fix this. This pops up at random. I do not even know what
Application Layer Gateway Service is. Sometimes it pops up at start up,
sometimes when I am at the middle of something.

Please help me.

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
designengineering wrote:

> "and needed to close".
>
> Please note the quote is a continuation of the phrase that would not fit in
> the subject line.
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\dei1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51d3.dir00\alg.exe.mdmp
> C:\DOCUME~1\dei1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51d3.dir00\appcompat.txtC:\DOCUME~1
>
> Error Signuature:
>
> szAppName : alg.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : atl.dll
> szModVer : 3.5.2284.0 offset : 00003907
>
> What can I do to fix this. This pops up at random. I do not even know what
> Application Layer Gateway Service is. Sometimes it pops up at start up,
> sometimes when I am at the middle of something.
>
> Please help me.
>

Alg is used with Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and the Windows
firewall. If you aren't using either of these you can disable it in
Services: Start | Run | services.msc | ok

See this link:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/application_layer_gateway.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

S.Sengupta
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Application Layer Gateway service is a component of Windows OS. It is
required if you use a 3rd party firewall or Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) to connect to the internet. Do not end this program in task
manager - you will lose all internet connectivity until next restart or
login.
The alg.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. In other
cases, alg.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm.
So to make sure that your system is clean,scan with latest virus
definitioned antivirus,spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder as well as
with Adaware.
Run all of them in safe mode.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP


designengineering wrote:

> "and needed to close".
>
> Please note the quote is a continuation of the phrase that would not fit in
> the subject line.
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\dei1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51d3.dir00\alg.exe.mdmp
> C:\DOCUME~1\dei1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51d3.dir00\appcompat.txtC:\DOCUME~1
>
> Error Signuature:
>
> szAppName : alg.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : atl.dll
> szModVer : 3.5.2284.0 offset : 00003907
>
> What can I do to fix this. This pops up at random. I do not even know what
> Application Layer Gateway Service is. Sometimes it pops up at start up,
> sometimes when I am at the middle of something.
>
> Please help me.
>

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
S.Sengupta wrote:

> Application Layer Gateway service is a component of Windows OS. It is
> required if you use a 3rd party firewall or Internet Connection Sharing
> (ICS) to connect to the internet. Do not end this program in task
> manager - you will lose all internet connectivity until next restart or
> login.
> The alg.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. In other
> cases, alg.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm.
> So to make sure that your system is clean,scan with latest virus
> definitioned antivirus,spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder as well as
> with Adaware.
> Run all of them in safe mode.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP

It's not needed for all 3rd party firewalls. I am using Sygate Pro with
alg disabled with no problems on broadband.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

S.Sengupta
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
True,you can,but make sure you are not double-firewalled.
Re:-http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,654619,00.asp

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Rock wrote:
> S.Sengupta wrote:
>
>> Application Layer Gateway service is a component of Windows OS. It is
>> required if you use a 3rd party firewall or Internet Connection
>> Sharing (ICS) to connect to the internet. Do not end this program in
>> task manager - you will lose all internet connectivity until next
>> restart or login.
>> The alg.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. In
>> other cases, alg.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm.
>> So to make sure that your system is clean,scan with latest virus
>> definitioned antivirus,spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder as well as
>> with Adaware.
>> Run all of them in safe mode.
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>
>
> It's not needed for all 3rd party firewalls. I am using Sygate Pro with
> alg disabled with no problems on broadband.
>

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
S.Sengupta wrote:

> True,you can,but make sure you are not double-firewalled.
> Re:-http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,654619,00.asp
>

<snip>

I'm not double firewalled.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


Application Layer Gateway Service encountered a problem