Can a file's date be changed without re-save?



George
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm using WinXP-pro, and noticed some pictures (filename.jpg) had date of
2/7/2106... it looks like the camera did not have its date/time set
correctly. Fortunately, I had given the files a name that specified the
date (like 20050216MountJones.jpg).

Is there a way to change the date, *without* opening in something like
photoshop, and then re-saving. My understanding is that JPEG's are
"lossy"... the more you open and re-save, the more they drop a few more
pixels.

Even it what they drop won't be noticable, I'd still like to know if I can
"re-date" a file

Thanks,
George

Armin
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
George wrote:
> I'm using WinXP-pro, and noticed some pictures (filename.jpg) had date of
> 2/7/2106... it looks like the camera did not have its date/time set
> correctly. Fortunately, I had given the files a name that specified the
> date (like 20050216MountJones.jpg).
>
> Is there a way to change the date, *without* opening in something like
> photoshop, and then re-saving. My understanding is that JPEG's are
> "lossy"... the more you open and re-save, the more they drop a few more
> pixels.
>
> Even it what they drop won't be noticable, I'd still like to know if I can
> "re-date" a file
>
> Thanks,
> George

If you do fair bit with digital images then you might want to look
into a program called ( www.acdsystems.com )ACDSee. It's a great
program for digital photography and will let you change the dates and
much, much more. Well worth the mony.

Armin

Bob I
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Try this
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=touch+date

George wrote:
> I'm using WinXP-pro, and noticed some pictures (filename.jpg) had date of
> 2/7/2106... it looks like the camera did not have its date/time set
> correctly. Fortunately, I had given the files a name that specified the
> date (like 20050216MountJones.jpg).
>
> Is there a way to change the date, *without* opening in something like
> photoshop, and then re-saving. My understanding is that JPEG's are
> "lossy"... the more you open and re-save, the more they drop a few more
> pixels.
>
> Even it what they drop won't be noticable, I'd still like to know if I can
> "re-date" a file
>
> Thanks,
> George
>
>

Armin
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Bob I wrote:
> Try this
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=touch+date
>
>

Isn't that a Linux command and not part of WinXP? The OP stated that he
was running WinXP.

Armin

Armin
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
.... or if you're looking for a free one then have a look at:

Ninotech Date Edit 4.0

http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm

Armin

Bob I
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
We used it in the "DOS" days too.

Armin wrote:
>
> Bob I wrote:
>
>>Try this
>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=touch+date
>>
>>
>
>
> Isn't that a Linux command and not part of WinXP? The OP stated that he
> was running WinXP.
>
> Armin
>

Armin
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Bob I wrote:
> We used it in the "DOS" days too.

Mmm, interesting. Which version of DOS?

I've never heard of it and the few legacy system we have that are still
running a version of DOS tell me: 'touch' is not recognized as an
internal or external command.

Armin

Armin
07-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Armin wrote:
> Bob I wrote:
> > We used it in the "DOS" days too.
>
> Mmm, interesting. Which version of DOS?
>
> I've never heard of it and the few legacy system we have that are still
> running a version of DOS tell me: 'touch' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command.
>
> Armin

Nevermind, Bob, I found it over programmersheaven.com. Looks like it's
was a small add-on utility progam that runs under DOS. I suppose it
should work from the command prompt under Windows as well.

The OP can find it at:
http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat920/3139.htm

Armin


Can a file's date be changed without re-save?