windows xp pro (sp2) file and printer sharing



Chris H
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...

I have set F+P sharing on comp A and im trying to view the shared drive
on comp B. I'm using windows xp pro with SP2 on both pc's and all
firewalls are turned off.

However each time I try to connect to the shared drive I get prompted
for a username and password. The username box is already filled in with
the details of the guest account (which is disabled on both pc's) so i
am unable to change this. There is also no password set on the guest
account on either pc anyway.

Can someone tell me how to remedy this before i throw both pc's out of
the window :)

Many thanks,
Chris

Bob I
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Put the SAME user name password combo on BOTH machines and use them.

Chris H wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...
>
> I have set F+P sharing on comp A and im trying to view the shared drive
> on comp B. I'm using windows xp pro with SP2 on both pc's and all
> firewalls are turned off.
>
> However each time I try to connect to the shared drive I get prompted
> for a username and password. The username box is already filled in with
> the details of the guest account (which is disabled on both pc's) so i
> am unable to change this. There is also no password set on the guest
> account on either pc anyway.
>
> Can someone tell me how to remedy this before i throw both pc's out of
> the window :)
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris

Chris H
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi, Thanks for the reply... but I already have the same username and
password for the "Chris" account on both machines.

Aside from the guest account which is deactivated, the Chris account is
the only user on each machine.




Bob I wrote:
> Put the SAME user name password combo on BOTH machines and use them.
>
> Chris H wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...
>>
>> I have set F+P sharing on comp A and im trying to view the shared
>> drive on comp B. I'm using windows xp pro with SP2 on both pc's and
>> all firewalls are turned off.
>>
>> However each time I try to connect to the shared drive I get prompted
>> for a username and password. The username box is already filled in
>> with the details of the guest account (which is disabled on both pc's)
>> so i am unable to change this. There is also no password set on the
>> guest account on either pc anyway.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to remedy this before i throw both pc's out of
>> the window :)
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Chris
>
>

Peter Foldes
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
> Chris account is
> the only user on each machine.

And what about the Password
--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Chris H" <spam@nospamtodaythanks.net> wrote in message news:42960FB9.4000304@nospamtodaythanks.net...
> Hi, Thanks for the reply... but I already have the same username and
> password for the "Chris" account on both machines.
>
> Aside from the guest account which is deactivated, the Chris account is
> the only user on each machine.
>
>
>
>
> Bob I wrote:
>> Put the SAME user name password combo on BOTH machines and use them.
>>
>> Chris H wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...
>>>
>>> I have set F+P sharing on comp A and im trying to view the shared
>>> drive on comp B. I'm using windows xp pro with SP2 on both pc's and
>>> all firewalls are turned off.
>>>
>>> However each time I try to connect to the shared drive I get prompted
>>> for a username and password. The username box is already filled in
>>> with the details of the guest account (which is disabled on both pc's)
>>> so i am unable to change this. There is also no password set on the
>>> guest account on either pc anyway.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to remedy this before i throw both pc's out of
>>> the window :)
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Chris
>>
>>

Bob I
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Which box are you at? "B" or "A" you say that you enabled F+P on Comp A
but are trying to look at the drive on B! F+P must be enabled on the
machine you are trying to access. Also check the shared locations
permissions.

Chris H wrote:

> Hi, Thanks for the reply... but I already have the same username and
> password for the "Chris" account on both machines.
>
> Aside from the guest account which is deactivated, the Chris account is
> the only user on each machine.
>
>
>
>
> Bob I wrote:
>
>> Put the SAME user name password combo on BOTH machines and use them.
>>
>> Chris H wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...
>>>
>>> I have set F+P sharing on comp A and im trying to view the shared
>>> drive on comp B. I'm using windows xp pro with SP2 on both pc's and
>>> all firewalls are turned off.
>>>
>>> However each time I try to connect to the shared drive I get prompted
>>> for a username and password. The username box is already filled in
>>> with the details of the guest account (which is disabled on both
>>> pc's) so i am unable to change this. There is also no password set on
>>> the guest account on either pc anyway.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to remedy this before i throw both pc's out
>>> of the window :)
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Chris
>>
>>
>>

Malke
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Chris H wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...
>
> I have set F+P sharing on comp A and im trying to view the shared
> drive on comp B. I'm using windows xp pro with SP2 on both pc's and
> all firewalls are turned off.
>
> However each time I try to connect to the shared drive I get prompted
> for a username and password. The username box is already filled in
> with the details of the guest account (which is disabled on both pc's)
> so i am unable to change this. There is also no password set on the
> guest account on either pc anyway.
>
> Can someone tell me how to remedy this before i throw both pc's out of
> the window :)
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris

Since you say you've disabled Guest, I assume that you also turned off
Simple Sharing (Folder Options>View). Create identical user accounts
and passwords on each machine and you won't have any more
authentication problems.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User


windows xp pro (sp2) file and printer sharing