Upgrade Problems!!



Mick
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
when I try to upgrade from Windows 98 to xp, the computer always shuts off
during installation. What is the problem? What should I do? Can someone
please help?

NoNoBadDog!
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Are you booting from the Windows XP CD, or are you trying to do it from
within Windows?

Bobby

"Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D065CA60-EF60-4D05-A589-2D9125F433AF@microsoft.com...
> when I try to upgrade from Windows 98 to xp, the computer always shuts off
> during installation. What is the problem? What should I do? Can someone
> please help?

Mick
07-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Im trying to do it from within windows
When its during setup is shuts down instantly and every time i try again it
shuts off at the same place


"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> Are you booting from the Windows XP CD, or are you trying to do it from
> within Windows?
>
> Bobby
>
> "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D065CA60-EF60-4D05-A589-2D9125F433AF@microsoft.com...
> > when I try to upgrade from Windows 98 to xp, the computer always shuts off
> > during installation. What is the problem? What should I do? Can someone
> > please help?
>
>
>

Malke
07-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Mick wrote:

> Im trying to do it from within windows
> When its during setup is shuts down instantly and every time i try
> again it shuts off at the same place
>
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>
>> Are you booting from the Windows XP CD, or are you trying to do it
>> from within Windows?
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D065CA60-EF60-4D05-A589-2D9125F433AF@microsoft.com...
>> > when I try to upgrade from Windows 98 to xp, the computer always
>> > shuts off during installation. What is the problem? What should I
>> > do? Can someone please help?
>>
>>
>>
This indicates that there is either a problem with some drivers or the
hardware. Did you check to make sure your computer can run XP? Did you
run the Upgrade Advisor?

If you are sure your computer's hardware is adequate for XP, back up
your data and try a clean install. You will use your original Windows
98 cd as qualifying media when the installation asks for it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install

Understand that a clean install means that you will be starting fresh
and you'll need to install any programs such as MS Office, cd burning,
etc. and restore your data from backups.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Mick
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I got it to install but now i get the message lsass.exe - System Error
An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The
registry could not read in, write out, or flush, one of the files that
contain the systems image of the registry of the Registry.
I dont know what to do.
please help

"Malke" wrote:

> Mick wrote:
>
> > Im trying to do it from within windows
> > When its during setup is shuts down instantly and every time i try
> > again it shuts off at the same place
> >
> >
> > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you booting from the Windows XP CD, or are you trying to do it
> >> from within Windows?
> >>
> >> Bobby
> >>
> >> "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D065CA60-EF60-4D05-A589-2D9125F433AF@microsoft.com...
> >> > when I try to upgrade from Windows 98 to xp, the computer always
> >> > shuts off during installation. What is the problem? What should I
> >> > do? Can someone please help?
> >>
> >>
> >>
> This indicates that there is either a problem with some drivers or the
> hardware. Did you check to make sure your computer can run XP? Did you
> run the Upgrade Advisor?
>
> If you are sure your computer's hardware is adequate for XP, back up
> your data and try a clean install. You will use your original Windows
> 98 cd as qualifying media when the installation asks for it.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install
>
> Understand that a clean install means that you will be starting fresh
> and you'll need to install any programs such as MS Office, cd burning,
> etc. and restore your data from backups.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>


Upgrade Problems!!