Blank Entry in Startup Registry Key



JR
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
I've noticed that the first entry in
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is (Default) and the
value is blank. I've always assumed that this is OK, and have left it
alone, but I recently saw something (can't remember where) that
suggested that a blank entry in this key was somehow bad and should be
removed.

Comments?

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
What's the executable that its loading?

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4294B9B5.E734B0D0@discussions.microsoft.com...
> I've noticed that the first entry in
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is (Default) and the
> value is blank. I've always assumed that this is OK, and have left it
> alone, but I recently saw something (can't remember where) that
> suggested that a blank entry in this key was somehow bad and should be
> removed.
>
> Comments?
>

Tom Porterfield
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
JR wrote:
> I've noticed that the first entry in
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is (Default) and the
> value is blank. I've always assumed that this is OK, and have left it
> alone, but I recently saw something (can't remember where) that
> suggested that a blank entry in this key was somehow bad and should be
> removed.

The (Default) value for many registry keys is blank. (Default) is used to
store a value for a registry key that has no other values. The Run key with
no values is meaningless so has no default value. What you read about a
blank (Default) value being bad is a gross oversimplification of an issue
that doesn't apply in this situation.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Wesley Vogel
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
These are Startup Orphans.

Apparently, if there is no path, or maybe an incorrect path, in Value
Data, the item shows up blank in msconfig | Startup. Also if Default
under Data is blank (nothing there at all) instead of (value not set).

From PCForrest StartMan\Help

[[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.
A target is the file which a startup will run when invoked.

How do Orphans occur?
They primarily occur because you've disabled a startup and then, at a later
date, uninstalled the program that uses it. The uninstaller won't know
about the disabled startup so it gets left behind. And if the uninstaller
deletes the target file then the startup becomes an orphan.

Orphans can also occur if you rename or move the target file elsewhere.
Where an orphan is also enabled you may see missing file reports at startup.
In the case of menu startups (shortcuts), the shell will attempt to resolve
the target by a brute-force search for the file based upon the information
stored in the shortcut.

How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?
Firstly, before uninstalling any software, ensure all its startups are
enabled with StartMan. This ensures all its startups can be located. Next,
use the program's own options to disable or remove the startups - if that is
an option. Finally, uninstall the software. All things being equal, the
startups should be gone, along with the software that used them. If
not...

How should I deal with orphans?
In most cases the orphan should simply be deleted. However, there are
instances where this might be impractical. For instance, a program that
automatically restores its own startups will continually recreate the
orphan - unless it also re-instates the target. In such cases the best
course of action is to disable the startup via the program that uses it.
But if no option exists then uninstalling the software is the only practical
option. If the software is essential to you, you should consider restoring
the target.

Do I have to delete orphans?
No, you don't have to if you don't want to. If they're disabled they'll
cause no real problems except to confuse you during troubleshooting. But if
they're enabled you should consider removing them. If they're not required,
then they have no business being there at all.]]


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23Rrm4bVYFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Doug Knox MS-MVP <dknox@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> What's the executable that its loading?
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4294B9B5.E734B0D0@discussions.microsoft.com...
>> I've noticed that the first entry in
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is (Default) and the
>> value is blank. I've always assumed that this is OK, and have left it
>> alone, but I recently saw something (can't remember where) that
>> suggested that a blank entry in this key was somehow bad and should be
>> removed.
>>
>> Comments?

JR
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Tom Porterfield wrote:

> JR wrote:
> > I've noticed that the first entry in
> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is (Default) and the
> > value is blank. I've always assumed that this is OK, and have left it
> > alone, but I recently saw something (can't remember where) that
> > suggested that a blank entry in this key was somehow bad and should be
> > removed.
>
> The (Default) value for many registry keys is blank. (Default) is used to
> store a value for a registry key that has no other values. The Run key with
> no values is meaningless so has no default value. What you read about a
> blank (Default) value being bad is a gross oversimplification of an issue
> that doesn't apply in this situation.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

thanks.

JR
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

> What's the executable that its loading?
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4294B9B5.E734B0D0@discussions.microsoft.com...
> > I've noticed that the first entry in
> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is (Default) and the
> > value is blank. I've always assumed that this is OK, and have left it
> > alone, but I recently saw something (can't remember where) that
> > suggested that a blank entry in this key was somehow bad and should be
> > removed.
> >
> > Comments?
> >

None. See response from Tom Porterfield

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Duh, missed the (Default) part :-(

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4294CADE.3628C231@discussions.microsoft.com...
> Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> What's the executable that its loading?
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4294B9B5.E734B0D0@discussions.microsoft.com...
>> > I've noticed that the first entry in
>> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is (Default) and the
>> > value is blank. I've always assumed that this is OK, and have left it
>> > alone, but I recently saw something (can't remember where) that
>> > suggested that a blank entry in this key was somehow bad and should be
>> > removed.
>> >
>> > Comments?
>> >
>
> None. See response from Tom Porterfield
>


Blank Entry in Startup Registry Key