Screen saver settings



Jane
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
I am using XP Pro and am having a problem with screen savers. If I select a
new screen saver it will only use that one until I reboot and then it goes
back to the previous screen saver I was using. Also, I can not set the time
for when the screen saver should start, it is greyed out and I can't change
it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jane

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers
07-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi,

Are you using a machine at work that is on a domain? It sounds like a group
policy restriction in place.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jane" <Jane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F819B4B3-07F0-4F67-BF56-79114E58F22F@microsoft.com...
>I am using XP Pro and am having a problem with screen savers. If I select
>a
> new screen saver it will only use that one until I reboot and then it goes
> back to the previous screen saver I was using. Also, I can not set the
> time
> for when the screen saver should start, it is greyed out and I can't
> change
> it. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jane

WTC
07-09-2005, 11:43 PM
"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:u1qLW$MYFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jane" <Jane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F819B4B3-07F0-4F67-BF56-79114E58F22F@microsoft.com...
>>I am using XP Pro and am having a problem with screen savers. If I
>>select a
>> new screen saver it will only use that one until I reboot and then it
>> goes
>> back to the previous screen saver I was using. Also, I can not set
>> the time
>> for when the screen saver should start, it is greyed out and I can't
>> change
>> it. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jane
>
> Hi,
>
> Are you using a machine at work that is on a domain? It sounds like a
> group policy restriction in place


I agree with Rick, check the following Reg entries,

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispAppearancePage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispBackgroundPage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispScrSavPage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispSettingsPage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

--
William

S.Sengupta
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Jane wrote:

> I am using XP Pro and am having a problem with screen savers. If I select a
> new screen saver it will only use that one until I reboot and then it goes
> back to the previous screen saver I was using. Also, I can not set the time
> for when the screen saver should start, it is greyed out and I can't change
> it. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jane


Screen saver settings