Search Companion and ability to search for files.



pampalm
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
I have started a new job using a computer with WindowsXP on it.
I am unable to SEARCH for files. Rover pops up but is silent and there is
no place to click and search for a file.

In searching the database on this site, I have learned that I need to do the
following:

Try reinstalling the Search Companion files and see if that resolves the
problem.......

Go to Start>Run and key in:
%systemroot%\inf
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Locate the Srchasst.inf file, right-click on this file and then select
Install.
Have the install CD ready to insert if prompted to do so.



I located the file, HOWEVER, the company cannot locate the install CD. This
is a Compaq Presario that is about 3-4 yrs old. Does anyone have any
suggestions for how I can still get the search field back?

Thank you.
Pam

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
pampalm wrote:

> I have started a new job using a computer with WindowsXP on it.
> I am unable to SEARCH for files. Rover pops up but is silent and there is
> no place to click and search for a file.
>
> In searching the database on this site, I have learned that I need to do the
> following:
>
> Try reinstalling the Search Companion files and see if that resolves the
> problem.......
>
> Go to Start>Run and key in:
> %systemroot%\inf
> Click on OK or hit ENTER
> Locate the Srchasst.inf file, right-click on this file and then select
> Install.
> Have the install CD ready to insert if prompted to do so.
>
>
> I located the file, HOWEVER, the company cannot locate the install CD. This
> is a Compaq Presario that is about 3-4 yrs old. Does anyone have any
> suggestions for how I can still get the search field back?
Hi,

My suggestion:

Do your searches with Agent Ransack (free)

Download it from here:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Rock
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
pampalm wrote:

> I have started a new job using a computer with WindowsXP on it.
> I am unable to SEARCH for files. Rover pops up but is silent and there is
> no place to click and search for a file.
>
> In searching the database on this site, I have learned that I need to do the
> following:
>
> Try reinstalling the Search Companion files and see if that resolves the
> problem.......
>
> Go to Start>Run and key in:
> %systemroot%\inf
> Click on OK or hit ENTER
> Locate the Srchasst.inf file, right-click on this file and then select
> Install.
> Have the install CD ready to insert if prompted to do so.
>
>
>
> I located the file, HOWEVER, the company cannot locate the install CD. This
> is a Compaq Presario that is about 3-4 yrs old. Does anyone have any
> suggestions for how I can still get the search field back?
>
> Thank you.
> Pam

Shouldn't your company be fixing the problem? In the meantime try Agent
Ransack as a good free search tool: http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

pampalm
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks to both of you that replied. I have downloaded Agent Ransack and it
has worked great!

As for my company fixing the problem, (don't laugh), I'm the one that has
the most computer knowledge, therefore, it is all my problem. :)

Thank you
Pam

"Rock" wrote:

> pampalm wrote:
>
> > I have started a new job using a computer with WindowsXP on it.
> > I am unable to SEARCH for files. Rover pops up but is silent and there is
> > no place to click and search for a file.
> >
> > In searching the database on this site, I have learned that I need to do the
> > following:
> >
> > Try reinstalling the Search Companion files and see if that resolves the
> > problem.......
> >
> > Go to Start>Run and key in:
> > %systemroot%\inf
> > Click on OK or hit ENTER
> > Locate the Srchasst.inf file, right-click on this file and then select
> > Install.
> > Have the install CD ready to insert if prompted to do so.
> >
> >
> >
> > I located the file, HOWEVER, the company cannot locate the install CD. This
> > is a Compaq Presario that is about 3-4 yrs old. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions for how I can still get the search field back?
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Pam
>
> Shouldn't your company be fixing the problem? In the meantime try Agent
> Ransack as a good free search tool: http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
>

Rock
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
pampalm wrote:

> Thanks to both of you that replied. I have downloaded Agent Ransack and it
> has worked great!
>
> As for my company fixing the problem, (don't laugh), I'm the one that has
> the most computer knowledge, therefore, it is all my problem. :)
>
> Thank you
> Pam
>

Ok Pam, glad you have something that works for you.


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


Search Companion and ability to search for files.