Strange things happening on my XP Pro



deacon
07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
I am using XP Pro and have some very strange things going on. First, there
is a Microsoft Icon that has showed up in the lower right corner down by the
time. It has the name "Microsoft Office Experience Improvement Program". I
have no idea what it is but I know that I don't need it or want it so how do
I make it go away?

The Second Problem sounds like someone has access to my computer. I use
Front Page 2003 to create web pages and the last two days, whenever I am
working on a page, someone starts typing in there and it's not me. They type
stuff like he he he, im in. Any ideas on where I should start to prevent
this from happening?

Roy Coorne
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
deacon wrote:
> I am using XP Pro and have some very strange things going on. First, there
> is a Microsoft Icon that has showed up in the lower right corner down by the
> time. It has the name "Microsoft Office Experience Improvement Program". I
> have no idea what it is but I know that I don't need it or want it so how do
> I make it go away?

You have MS Office installed - look there for Help or google for
"Microsoft Office Experience Improvement Program".

> The Second Problem sounds like someone has access to my computer. I use
> Front Page 2003 to create web pages and the last two days, whenever I am
> working on a page, someone starts typing in there and it's not me. They type
> stuff like he he he, im in. Any ideas on where I should start to prevent
> this from happening?

XP Pro Firewall activated? MS AntiSpyware activated? A good virus
scanner running (BitDefender, Kaspersky...)?

Roy

Thorsten Matzner
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
deacon <deacon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using XP Pro and have some very strange things going on. First, there
>is a Microsoft Icon that has showed up in the lower right corner down by the
>time. It has the name "Microsoft Office Experience Improvement Program". I
>have no idea what it is but I know that I don't need it or want it so how do
>I make it go away?

See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011402431033.aspx
for details.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

Anne
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
"deacon" <deacon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BA78A840-06CE-45EE-8FDF-88DDCECFA53A@microsoft.com...
>I am using XP Pro and have some very strange things going on. First, there
> is a Microsoft Icon that has showed up in the lower right corner down by
> the
> time. It has the name "Microsoft Office Experience Improvement Program".
> I
> have no idea what it is but I know that I don't need it or want it so how
> do
> I make it go away?

You type "experience improvement program" into Google groups, and it gives
you these...

Try http://www.microsoft.com/products/ceip/english/default.htm

or http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011402431033.aspx


A.
--
Buy and sell your paperbacks at www.greenmetropolis.com.

Richard Urban
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
For the second problem, mute or disconnect your microphone!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"deacon" <deacon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BA78A840-06CE-45EE-8FDF-88DDCECFA53A@microsoft.com...
>I am using XP Pro and have some very strange things going on. First, there
> is a Microsoft Icon that has showed up in the lower right corner down by
> the
> time. It has the name "Microsoft Office Experience Improvement Program".
> I
> have no idea what it is but I know that I don't need it or want it so how
> do
> I make it go away?
>
> The Second Problem sounds like someone has access to my computer. I use
> Front Page 2003 to create web pages and the last two days, whenever I am
> working on a page, someone starts typing in there and it's not me. They
> type
> stuff like he he he, im in. Any ideas on where I should start to prevent
> this from happening?

JS
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Richard Urban wrote:
> For the second problem, mute or disconnect your microphone!
>

LOL. You're joking, right?

RA
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
> The Second Problem sounds like someone has access to my computer. I
> use Front Page 2003 to create web pages and the last two days,
> whenever I am working on a page, someone starts typing in there and
> it's not me. They type stuff like he he he, im in. Any ideas on
> where I should start to prevent this from happening?



Turn off speech recognition.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823586

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
deacon wrote:
> I am using XP Pro and have some very strange things going on. First,
> there is a Microsoft Icon that has showed up in the lower right
> corner down by the time. It has the name "Microsoft Office
> Experience Improvement Program". I have no idea what it is but I
> know that I don't need it or want it so how do I make it go away?
>
> The Second Problem sounds like someone has access to my computer. I
> use Front Page 2003 to create web pages and the last two days,
> whenever I am working on a page, someone starts typing in there and
> it's not me. They type stuff like he he he, im in. Any ideas on
> where I should start to prevent this from happening?

For the second problem, unplug your microphone.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
"JS" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:3fghijF7n3hcU1@individual.net
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> For the second problem, mute or disconnect your microphone!
>>
>
> LOL. You're joking, right?

No. If voice recognition is turned on, Front Page 2003 will use it for
text.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

deacon
07-09-2005, 11:43 PM
What is this voice recognition thing? It looks like something from Office
2003 and I dont have that, Only have what came with XP Pro. How can I get
rid of it. Its not an installed program???

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> deacon wrote:
> > I am using XP Pro and have some very strange things going on. First,
> > there is a Microsoft Icon that has showed up in the lower right
> > corner down by the time. It has the name "Microsoft Office
> > Experience Improvement Program". I have no idea what it is but I
> > know that I don't need it or want it so how do I make it go away?
> >
> > The Second Problem sounds like someone has access to my computer. I
> > use Front Page 2003 to create web pages and the last two days,
> > whenever I am working on a page, someone starts typing in there and
> > it's not me. They type stuff like he he he, im in. Any ideas on
> > where I should start to prevent this from happening?
>
> For the second problem, unplug your microphone.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>
>
>
>

RA
07-09-2005, 11:43 PM
deacon wrote:
> What is this voice recognition thing? It looks like something from
> Office 2003 and I dont have that, Only have what came with XP Pro.
> How can I get rid of it. Its not an installed program???
>

Click your start button, go to Help and Support and searce the term "voice
recognition". You will learn more than you ever want to know about voice
recognition.

deacon
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
I disabled voice recognition under Regional and Language options but I would
like to remove it from my computer. The help file you sent me to said to use
add/remove programs but there is nothing listed under add/remove so now what?

"RA" wrote:

> deacon wrote:
> > What is this voice recognition thing? It looks like something from
> > Office 2003 and I dont have that, Only have what came with XP Pro.
> > How can I get rid of it. Its not an installed program???
> >
>
> Click your start button, go to Help and Support and searce the term "voice
> recognition". You will learn more than you ever want to know about voice
> recognition.
>
>
>

RA
07-09-2005, 11:45 PM
deacon wrote:
> I disabled voice recognition under Regional and Language options but
> I would like to remove it from my computer. The help file you sent me
> to said to use add/remove programs but there is nothing listed under
> add/remove so now what?



The instructions say "To remove the speech recognition engine from your hard
disk, follow the instructions in the program with which it was installed, or
use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel."
You said that you are using Front Page 2003. If you don't have an Office
suite installed, it could have been installed with Front Page 2003. I don't
have Front Page 2003 so I can't try to uninstall it to test it for you.


Strange things happening on my XP Pro