WindowsXP Home,Copying User Configurations to Other Accounts



Insomniac487
07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey there everybody. I was wondering, if it was possible to copy user
configurations to other user accounts? Cause on my computer there is 4
accounts.

Me
My brother
My other brother
and my dad

So far, Ive told everybody to use my account cause everything is
Fully-Configured. I told them, i'll try to figure out some way to get
their desktops similar to mine (but not exactly, just the programs and
configurations, etc. of course they'll want different windowblind
themes, different wallplaper, etc) I Got the antivirus programs up and
running, got all the nesscary programs like Mozilla. I got all the
games. AdwarePersonal/MicrosoftAntiSpyware Beta updated, etc. Ya
know, the whole deal. (all on my account)

When i logged onto my brothers account at the User-Selection screen,
ill go to Mozilla firefox, and find out he has no themes. Its just
default (ew ugly lol). Or some of the games he wants to play arent
there. Im not sure if going to Document/settings/users/my
acc/desktop/blahblahblah, and making a shortcut of a game, to His
desktop would work? Also i dont think his antivirus programs are
updated. But i was wondering, if there was a way to like transfer
everything to Another User? (if it transfers the
walllpaper/windowblinds, its ok, he can change it)

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. I think if on my account, if i choose
what programs to startup. It affects ALL users (pretty sure, not 100%)
Can someone confirm? (if it doesnt, then how do you make it like that?)

Then from there on, once my brother has all the programs, all updated,
etc, he can do whatever he wants. Get a new theme of window blinds to
his desire, get wallpaper of his own, etc. I just wanna make sure he
has all the Main things. Then once thats done, ill repeat the process
a few more times, to my other brother & dad's account. Any help,
links, or whatever would be appreciated

thanks in advance
-Kevster


--
Insomniac487
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insomniac487's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12995
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819074809

Shenan Stanley
07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Insomniac487 wrote:
> Hey there everybody. I was wondering, if it was possible to copy user
> configurations to other user accounts? Cause on my computer there is 4
> accounts.
>
> Me
> My brother
> My other brother
> and my dad
>
> So far, Ive told everybody to use my account cause everything is
> Fully-Configured. I told them, i'll try to figure out some way to get
> their desktops similar to mine (but not exactly, just the programs and
> configurations, etc. of course they'll want different windowblind
> themes, different wallplaper, etc) I Got the antivirus programs up and
> running, got all the nesscary programs like Mozilla. I got all the
> games. AdwarePersonal/MicrosoftAntiSpyware Beta updated, etc. Ya
> know, the whole deal. (all on my account)
>
> When i logged onto my brothers account at the User-Selection screen,
> ill go to Mozilla firefox, and find out he has no themes. Its just
> default (ew ugly lol). Or some of the games he wants to play arent
> there. Im not sure if going to Document/settings/users/my
> acc/desktop/blahblahblah, and making a shortcut of a game, to His
> desktop would work? Also i dont think his antivirus programs are
> updated. But i was wondering, if there was a way to like transfer
> everything to Another User? (if it transfers the
> walllpaper/windowblinds, its ok, he can change it)


How To Create a Custom Default User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319974

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

Doug's Windows XP Security Console
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
fundamentals don't change.

Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
Windows.

One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
"LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
normally unused by the standard user.

> Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. I think if on my account, if i choose
> what programs to startup. It affects ALL users (pretty sure, not
> 100%) Can someone confirm? (if it doesnt, then how do you make it
> like that?)

No. Not unless you are all users..

> Then from there on, once my brother has all the programs, all updated,
> etc, he can do whatever he wants. Get a new theme of window blinds to
> his desire, get wallpaper of his own, etc. I just wanna make sure he
> has all the Main things. Then once thats done, ill repeat the process
> a few more times, to my other brother & dad's account. Any help,
> links, or whatever would be appreciated

See above INLINE answers.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--

peterk
07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
You can copy your account into their accounts..........one by one.
In order to do this you must be logged into an account that you are not
modifying at the moment and it must be an administrator account.For example
you can log in as your DAD and copy your account to your brothers.After the
copying you can set their privileges back to whatever
right click Mycomputer/properties/advanced/
under user profiles click settings
highlight the account you wish to copy from and click copy to
click browse and find the account you wish to copy to under
C:/documents&settings
click ok and OK your way out
reboot
and repeat for the other accounts
hope this helps
peterk

--
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"Insomniac487" <Insomniac487.1pioar@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in
message news:Insomniac487.1pioar@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>
> Hey there everybody. I was wondering, if it was possible to copy user
> configurations to other user accounts? Cause on my computer there is 4
> accounts.
>
> Me
> My brother
> My other brother
> and my dad
>
> So far, Ive told everybody to use my account cause everything is
> Fully-Configured. I told them, i'll try to figure out some way to get
> their desktops similar to mine (but not exactly, just the programs and
> configurations, etc. of course they'll want different windowblind
> themes, different wallplaper, etc) I Got the antivirus programs up and
> running, got all the nesscary programs like Mozilla. I got all the
> games. AdwarePersonal/MicrosoftAntiSpyware Beta updated, etc. Ya
> know, the whole deal. (all on my account)
>
> When i logged onto my brothers account at the User-Selection screen,
> ill go to Mozilla firefox, and find out he has no themes. Its just
> default (ew ugly lol). Or some of the games he wants to play arent
> there. Im not sure if going to Document/settings/users/my
> acc/desktop/blahblahblah, and making a shortcut of a game, to His
> desktop would work? Also i dont think his antivirus programs are
> updated. But i was wondering, if there was a way to like transfer
> everything to Another User? (if it transfers the
> walllpaper/windowblinds, its ok, he can change it)
>
> Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. I think if on my account, if i choose
> what programs to startup. It affects ALL users (pretty sure, not 100%)
> Can someone confirm? (if it doesnt, then how do you make it like that?)
>
> Then from there on, once my brother has all the programs, all updated,
> etc, he can do whatever he wants. Get a new theme of window blinds to
> his desire, get wallpaper of his own, etc. I just wanna make sure he
> has all the Main things. Then once thats done, ill repeat the process
> a few more times, to my other brother & dad's account. Any help,
> links, or whatever would be appreciated
>
> thanks in advance
> -Kevster
>
>
> --
> Insomniac487
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Insomniac487's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12995
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819074809
>


WindowsXP Home,Copying User Configurations to Other Accounts