XP Removal



Ray
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
I have a XP Home system that is locked due to the product activation
period having expired.

The system has SP2 which means I cannot use the originals XP restore
disk to replace the OS and start over.

I tried reformatting by using a boot disk made in an XP PRO system
with FDISK.

FDISK doesn't work with XP.

HELP

Ray

Ken Blake
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
In news:slr49153i0abgt9vqgfnig5hhcuabr05uv@4ax.com,
Ray <publicrayNOSPAM@net1plus.com> typed:

> I have a XP Home system that is locked due to the product
> activation
> period having expired.


Boot to Safe Mode and activate it there.


> The system has SP2 which means I cannot use the originals XP
> restore
> disk to replace the OS and start over.


Why not? Sure you can.


> I tried reformatting by using a boot disk made in an XP PRO
> system
> with FDISK.
>
> FDISK doesn't work with XP.


To reformat and reinstall, just boot from the Windows XP CD
(change the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and
follow the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
You can find detailed instructions here:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html



But as I said above, this isn't necessary. Just activate from
Safe Mode.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup

James
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Download a floppy image from bootdisk.com. Boot from floppy and run fdisk
deleting the xp non-dos partition.

"Ray" <publicrayNOSPAM@net1plus.com> wrote in message
news:slr49153i0abgt9vqgfnig5hhcuabr05uv@4ax.com...


I have a XP Home system that is locked due to the product activation
period having expired.

The system has SP2 which means I cannot use the originals XP restore
disk to replace the OS and start over.

I tried reformatting by using a boot disk made in an XP PRO system
with FDISK.

FDISK doesn't work with XP.

HELP

Ray

Ray
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Activation won't run from Safe Mode.

Ray

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:18:34 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:slr49153i0abgt9vqgfnig5hhcuabr05uv@4ax.com,
>Ray <publicrayNOSPAM@net1plus.com> typed:
>
>> I have a XP Home system that is locked due to the product
>> activation
>> period having expired.
>
>
>Boot to Safe Mode and activate it there.
>
>
>> The system has SP2 which means I cannot use the originals XP
>> restore
>> disk to replace the OS and start over.
>
>
>Why not? Sure you can.
>
>
>> I tried reformatting by using a boot disk made in an XP PRO
>> system
>> with FDISK.
>>
>> FDISK doesn't work with XP.
>
>
>To reformat and reinstall, just boot from the Windows XP CD
>(change the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and
>follow the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
>partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
>You can find detailed instructions here:
>http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
>
>
>But as I said above, this isn't necessary. Just activate from
>Safe Mode.

Anando [MS-MVP]
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Login as an admin and try to activate. That should work.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

In memory of Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Ray" <publicrayNOSPAM@net1plus.com> wrote in message
news:slr49153i0abgt9vqgfnig5hhcuabr05uv@4ax.com...
>
>
> I have a XP Home system that is locked due to the product activation
> period having expired.
>
> The system has SP2 which means I cannot use the originals XP restore
> disk to replace the OS and start over.
>
> I tried reformatting by using a boot disk made in an XP PRO system
> with FDISK.
>
> FDISK doesn't work with XP.
>
> HELP
>
> Ray

Peter Foldes
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
I do not completely understand. Your computer locked because you did not activate in 30 days. And you say you also have the original restore XP CD . The reason that I do not understand is that I have seen a lot off computers that were brought to me to unlock this type of behavior. I had to turn these people away because when the System Locks after 30 days because it was not activated then when I booted up those systems the first and ONLY thing that came up on the splash screen was "You need to Activate Your Windows before you can continue. Would you like to Activate now?" It gave the usual option to say Yes Activate now . With the choice of through the Internet and also gave the Phone number if Internet connection was not available.

I turned away most because they did not have a licensed valid version and those that had a valid recovery(restore) CD I called the manufacturer who gave me the directions on how to activate.

This is why I say I do not understand
--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Ray" <publicrayNOSPAM@net1plus.com> wrote in message news:slr49153i0abgt9vqgfnig5hhcuabr05uv@4ax.com...
>
>
> I have a XP Home system that is locked due to the product activation
> period having expired.
>
> The system has SP2 which means I cannot use the originals XP restore
> disk to replace the OS and start over.
>
> I tried reformatting by using a boot disk made in an XP PRO system
> with FDISK.
>
> FDISK doesn't work with XP.
>
> HELP
>
> Ray

Ray
07-10-2005, 12:43 AM
The recovery disk did not have SP2. I had installed SP2 after getting
the system. When I tried to use the recovery disk I got an error
message stating that the version of windows on the recovery disk could
not be installed because it was older than the version of windows
present on the machine. The recovery disk would have worked if SP2 had
not been added.

Ray

On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:24:45 -0400, "Peter Foldes"
<okf22@email.msn.com> wrote:

>I do not completely understand. Your computer locked because you did not activate in 30 days. And you say you also have the original restore XP CD . The reason that I do not understand is that I have seen a lot off computers that were brought to me to unlock this type of behavior. I had to turn these people away because when the System Locks after 30 days because it was not activated then when I booted up those systems the first and ONLY thing that came up on the splash screen was "You need to Activate Your Windows before you can continue. Would you like to Activate now?" It gave the usual option to say Yes Activate now . With the choice of through the Internet and also gave the Phone number if Internet connection was not available.
>
>I turned away most because they did not have a licensed valid version and those that had a valid recovery(restore) CD I called the manufacturer who gave me the directions on how to activate.
>
>This is why I say I do not understand

Ray
07-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Admin is the only way of getting into the system. Tried it and it
would not work from admin.

Ray

On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:05:41 -0300, "Anando [MS-MVP]"
<anando@mvps.org> wrote:

>Login as an admin and try to activate. That should work.

Peter Foldes
07-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Again. If you have the recovery disk that came with your Computer then either the OEM that gave you the Recovery disk with the purchase of the computer had the system activated through their license or if not call them and they will tell you the proper sequence on how to activate with your computer in it's present state

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Ray" <publicrayNOSPAM@net1plus.com> wrote in message news:l3o791tq0bno1aoagn233hp6e3nnvt4ge3@4ax.com...
> The recovery disk did not have SP2. I had installed SP2 after getting
> the system. When I tried to use the recovery disk I got an error
> message stating that the version of windows on the recovery disk could
> not be installed because it was older than the version of windows
> present on the machine. The recovery disk would have worked if SP2 had
> not been added.
>
> Ray
>
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:24:45 -0400, "Peter Foldes"
> <okf22@email.msn.com> wrote:
>
>>I do not completely understand. Your computer locked because you did not activate in 30 days. And you say you also have the original restore XP CD . The reason that I do not understand is that I have seen a lot off computers that were brought to me to unlock this type of behavior. I had to turn these people away because when the System Locks after 30 days because it was not activated then when I booted up those systems the first and ONLY thing that came up on the splash screen was "You need to Activate Your Windows before you can continue. Would you like to Activate now?" It gave the usual option to say Yes Activate now . With the choice of through the Internet and also gave the Phone number if Internet connection was not available.
>>
>>I turned away most because they did not have a licensed valid version and those that had a valid recovery(restore) CD I called the manufacturer who gave me the directions on how to activate.
>>
>>This is why I say I do not understand
>


XP Removal