Re: No system restore points



Scott B.
07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
I think I have just experienced the same type of problem...no restore points.
Event Viewer lists: "The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected
error '0xC000009A' while processing the file 'ArcD6.tmp' on the volume
'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume." I see that
ERR.exe lists the Supported Operating Systems as Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
and Windows Server 2003, so i assumed it would not run on xp. Right ? Would
'0xC000009A' be about the same as '0xC0000010' ?
I have no idea what 'ArcD6.tmp' is, but I'm certain that I did have a USB
drive plugged in at the time. It generally is recognized as a "Removable
Disk" and is assigned "G:". Could that have been the problem? I see where
you suggested that
Alfons should tell systems restore to stop monitoring D:, should i do that
for G: and if so, how? Also, do you know if there is any way to 'find' all
my saved restore points or are they all gone now? Thanks.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Alfons,
>
> Lets take a look at the Event Viewer for any errors.
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or
> "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and then evaluate
> the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.
> Post the EventID and Source for any errors.
>
> System Restore Failures to restore
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Alfons wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On my notebook I don't have any restore points. Of course
> > I haven't turned it off in my Control Panel, System,
> > System Restore. I have 1 harddisk, with 2 partitions
> > (drive C: and D:), both are on 'monitoring'. I have 8 GB
> > free on drive C: and 6 GB on drive D:, so enough free
> > space I think.
> >
> > With Disk CleanUp, I "removed all but the most recent
> > restore point".
> >
> > Now I created a restore point manually. No problem. I
> > still had it after approx. one hour, but after a few
> > hours it was gone again!
> >
> > Has anyone any suggestion why my restore points
> > disappear? Maybe a virusscanner (I use McAfee Virusscan
> > v4.5.1 SP1) or virusses or spyware are causing the
> > problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alfons van Zwol
> > The Netherlands
>
>
>

Bert Kinney
07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi Scott,

Scott B. wrote:
> I think I have just experienced the same type of
> problem...no restore points. Event Viewer lists: "The
> System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error
> '0xC000009A' while processing the file 'ArcD6.tmp' on the
> volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume."

Go to Start - Search - All files and folders and do a search for
ArcD6.tmp
Make sure to expand "More advanced option" and put a check next to the
first three options before doing the search.
Search the removable drive also.
Make note of the location (path) of the file.

< I see that ERR.exe lists the Supported
> Operating Systems as Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and
> Windows Server 2003, so i assumed it would not run on xp.
> Right ? Would '0xC000009A' be about the same as '0xC0000010' ?


> I have no idea what 'ArcD6.tmp' is, but I'm certain that
> I did have a USB drive plugged in at the time. It
> generally is recognized as a "Removable Disk" and is
> assigned "G:". Could that have been the problem? I see
> where you suggested that
> Alfons should tell systems restore to stop monitoring D:,
> should i do that for G: and if so, how?

Yes, disable all but C:\ Let me know if G:\ is being monitored!
Disable a monitored drive
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

> Also, do you know if there is any way to 'find' all my saved restore
> points or are they all gone now?

Once there gone there's no getting them back.

> Thanks.


Re: No system restore points