Memorized strings



tony@well.com
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Windows remembers addresses, names, and other information once it has
been entered in response to prompts in many applications (maps, etc.).
Where are these strings stored, and how can they be edited?

All pointers appreciated.

T.
========================
Tony Roder, speaking his mind....

Tim Slattery
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
tony@well.com wrote:

>Windows remembers addresses, names, and other information once it has
>been entered in response to prompts in many applications (maps, etc.).
>Where are these strings stored, and how can they be edited?

Each application would have its own way of managing this stuff.

I assume you're talking about Internet Explorer. Try Tools|Internet
Options, click the "Content" tab, click the "Auto Complete" button.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Slattery_T@bls.gov

tony@well.com
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:09:38 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
wrote:

>tony@well.com wrote:
>
>>Windows remembers addresses, names, and other information once it has
>>been entered in response to prompts in many applications (maps, etc.).
>>Where are these strings stored, and how can they be edited?
>
>Each application would have its own way of managing this stuff.
>
>I assume you're talking about Internet Explorer. Try Tools|Internet
>Options, click the "Content" tab, click the "Auto Complete" button.

Thank you Tim. I'm actually curious to know _where_ the stuff resides
in any of the apps, not just IE. I've searched the disk for a string
(an address that Mapquest remembers, for instance), and used regedit
to search the register as well, but drew a blank in both instances.

A mystery,,,,

T.
========================
Tony Roder, speaking his mind....

Tim Slattery
07-10-2005, 12:42 AM
tony@well.com wrote:

>Thank you Tim. I'm actually curious to know _where_ the stuff resides
>in any of the apps, not just IE. I've searched the disk for a string
>(an address that Mapquest remembers, for instance), and used regedit
>to search the register as well, but drew a blank in both instances.

As I said, each app will have its own way of dealing with this. Many
will use the registry, that's the MS recommended way and allows each
user to have his or her own settings. Some will use *.ini files, which
are simple text files, therefore can be easily examined and repaired
by the user, if need be.

I think IE puts some settings in the registry, but remembers form data
in its disk cache somewhere. It's possible that the files in question
are written in Unicode, which might make searching for the text
problematic.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Slattery_T@bls.gov

tony@well.com
07-10-2005, 12:42 AM
On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:05:30 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
wrote:

>remembers form data
>in its disk cache somewhere. It's possible that the files in question
>are written in Unicode, which might make searching for the text
>problematic.

Aha! That would explain a lot. Thanks again.

T.
========================
Tony Roder, speaking his mind....


Memorized strings