DISABLE offline files



SaltH2O
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I need to disable offline files for all users on each pc. Obviously it won't
allow me to do this logged on under the user. When I log on as administrator
and disable offline files...WinXP does not keep the change. Once I log back
on as the user...offline files is enabled again. I have a outside vendor
blaming file corruption in their software on offline files being enabled. So
to put an end to this...I have to disable this feature. Any thoughts? Is
there a registry key for all users that I can change? Thanks in advance.

Wesley Vogel
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature
http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=159

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F055B711-2B0A-4B62-BC5E-C04A05817595@microsoft.com,
SaltH2O <SaltH2O@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I need to disable offline files for all users on each pc. Obviously it
> won't allow me to do this logged on under the user. When I log on as
> administrator and disable offline files...WinXP does not keep the change.
> Once I log back on as the user...offline files is enabled again. I have a
> outside vendor blaming file corruption in their software on offline files
> being enabled. So to put an end to this...I have to disable this feature.
> Any thoughts? Is there a registry key for all users that I can change?
> Thanks in advance.

Miacid
07-10-2005, 01:02 AM
"Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=159
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsNetCach
> e
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:F055B711-2B0A-4B62-BC5E-C04A05817595@microsoft.com,
> SaltH2O <SaltH2O@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I need to disable offline files for all users on each pc.
> Obviously it
> > won't allow me to do this logged on under the user. When I
> log on as
> > administrator and disable offline files...WinXP does not
> keep the change.
> > Once I log back on as the user...offline files is enabled
> again. I have a
> > outside vendor blaming file corruption in their software on
> offline files
> > being enabled. So to put an end to this...I have to disable
> this feature.
> > Any thoughts? Is there a registry key for all users that I
> can change?
> > Thanks in advance.

I need to do something similar only through script or code if
possible.

I have an application that creates a VPN and then copies files to the
server, using the internal IP address of the server and a shared
folder and then disconnects the VPN.

Only when the user has ’Offline File’ enabled, none of the files get
copied to the server, instead they’re being cached locally.

Is there a way I can bypass this or check if they have offline files
enabled, then disable them when my app starts and re-enable them when
it exits.
Or maybe added the IP of the server to the exception list.

I’ve removed caching from the share on the server, although I realise
this won’t do much good as the files aren’t being copied from it.

Hope this all makes sense, I look forward to hearing you’re
suggestions.

Cheers,

8~)

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-DISABLE-offline-files-ftopict376168.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1707911


DISABLE offline files