Activation



Kilo Bravo
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and want to move my
XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install the OS on new PC, and
the old version of windows is just illegal to boot on the old PC? I mean
there is no such thing as deactivating the old one... everything is just
going to be fine on the new PC. It is not suddenly going to be disabled or
something?

KB

David R. Norton MVP
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
"Kilo Bravo" <kb@spoof.com> wrote in:

> Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and want
> to move my XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install
> the OS on new PC, and the old version of windows is just illegal
> to boot on the old PC?

If your copy of XP Pro is the retail version, yes, if it's an OEM
version you can't legally install it on another PC. Read the EULA, it
will tell you what you can and cannot do. You can find your EULA by
clicking on start/help and typing "what does the eula say" into the
search window.

> I mean there is no such thing as deactivating the old one...

You should remove it by formatting the hard drive if you plan on
selling or giving away the old PC.

> everything is just going to be fine on the new PC. It is not suddenly
> going to be disabled or something?

No, not unless you're not able to activate the OS on the new PC, if
that happens you'll have to activate by phone.



--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Kilo Bravo wrote:
> Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and want to move my
> XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install the OS on new PC, and
> the old version of windows is just illegal to boot on the old PC? I mean
> there is no such thing as deactivating the old one... everything is just
> going to be fine on the new PC. It is not suddenly going to be disabled or
> something?
>
> KB
>
>



Correct. There is no "de-activation" process, as such.

Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not legitimately
transferable), simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on
and then install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

NoStop
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Kilo Bravo wrote:
>> Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and want to move
>> my XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install the OS on new
>> PC, and the old version of windows is just illegal to boot on the old PC?
>> I mean there is no such thing as deactivating the old one... everything
>> is just going to be fine on the new PC. It is not suddenly going to be
>> disabled or something?
>>
>> KB

>
> Correct. There is no "de-activation" process, as such.
>
Sorry Bruce, but just can't resist. It's well known in the IT industry that
it's very easy to "de-activate" XP. All one has to do is remove any AV
software, anti-spyware and active firewall and connect to the Net and surf
with IE for anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. XP will definitely be
automatically "de-activated". :-)


--
Re: Micro$oft OneCare:
"When a company is run like the mafia why would you not expect them to
progress to charging protection money." NF

Ken Blake
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
In news:eYSewtvXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Kilo Bravo <kb@spoof.com> typed:

> Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and
> want to
> move my XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install
> the OS
> on new PC, and the old version of windows is just illegal to
> boot on
> the old PC? I mean there is no such thing as deactivating the
> old
> one... everything is just going to be fine on the new PC. It is
> not
> suddenly going to be disabled or something?


Thats' essentially right, as long as yours is a retail version,
not an OEM one. The license for an OEM version ties it
permanently to the first computer it's installed on. It can never
legally be moved to another computer, sold, or given away.

But if it's a retail version, just uninstall it from the old
machine, install it on the new, and activate it. There's no such
thing as "deactivation."

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup

Jim
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
This explains the whole mess perfectly,
http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/


"Kilo Bravo" <kb@spoof.com> wrote in message
news:eYSewtvXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and want to move
> my
> XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install the OS on new PC,
> and
> the old version of windows is just illegal to boot on the old PC? I mean
> there is no such thing as deactivating the old one... everything is just
> going to be fine on the new PC. It is not suddenly going to be disabled or
> something?
>
> KB
>
>

NobodyMan
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:32:20 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>Bruce Chambers wrote:
>
>> Kilo Bravo wrote:
>>> Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and want to move
>>> my XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install the OS on new
>>> PC, and the old version of windows is just illegal to boot on the old PC?
>>> I mean there is no such thing as deactivating the old one... everything
>>> is just going to be fine on the new PC. It is not suddenly going to be
>>> disabled or something?
>>>
>>> KB
>
>>
>> Correct. There is no "de-activation" process, as such.
>>
>Sorry Bruce, but just can't resist. It's well known in the IT industry that
>it's very easy to "de-activate" XP. All one has to do is remove any AV
>software, anti-spyware and active firewall and connect to the Net and surf
>with IE for anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. XP will definitely be
>automatically "de-activated". :-)

Thus has spoken the grumpy old Linux bastard.

You have yet to answer me - WHY DO YOU POST HERE?

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
NobodyMan wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:32:20 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:
>
>> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>>
>>> Kilo Bravo wrote:
>>>> Ok, tell me if I have this straight. If I build a new PC and want
>>>> to move my XP pro OS to the new platform then all I do is install
>>>> the OS on new PC, and the old version of windows is just illegal
>>>> to boot on the old PC? I mean there is no such thing as
>>>> deactivating the old one... everything is just going to be fine on
>>>> the new PC. It is not suddenly going to be disabled or something?
>>>>
>>>> KB
>>
>>>
>>> Correct. There is no "de-activation" process, as such.
>>>
>> Sorry Bruce, but just can't resist. It's well known in the IT
>> industry that it's very easy to "de-activate" XP. All one has to do
>> is remove any AV software, anti-spyware and active firewall and
>> connect to the Net and surf with IE for anywhere from 5 to 15
>> minutes. XP will definitely be automatically "de-activated". :-)
>
> Thus has spoken the grumpy old Linux bastard.
>
> You have yet to answer me - WHY DO YOU POST HERE?

Trolls don't answer direct questions.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Jim;
If the owner of that site felt there was any real credibility to the
information presented, there would be no need for the site to hide behind
the disclaimer near the bottom of the page.

Better to find a site with no need to hide behind disclaimers.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.dts-l.org


"Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
news:OwipT5wXFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> This explains the whole mess perfectly,
> http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I am not saying you are like this in all situations, but at the moment you
appear to be both logic- and humor-impaired.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Jim;
> If the owner of that site felt there was any real credibility to the
> information presented, there would be no need for the site to hide
> behind the disclaimer near the bottom of the page.
>
> Better to find a site with no need to hide behind disclaimers.
>
>
> "Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
> news:OwipT5wXFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> This explains the whole mess perfectly,
>> http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Jim;
> If the owner of that site felt there was any real credibility to the
> information presented, there would be no need for the site to hide
> behind the disclaimer near the bottom of the page.
>
> Better to find a site with no need to hide behind disclaimers.

LOL! You don't understand what a parody is. How pathetic!

"A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of
an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule."

In the case of MY multiple activation fact, my parody for the ridicule
of MS & its Product Activation scheme.

Nothing in the meaning of a Parody, does it mean that the information
provided isn't accurate. Only a fool believes otherwise. Bye fool!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
When I want facts or humour, I will go to a place that does not seek to
confuse the viewer with the two.
I understand the meanings, but as usual, the owner shows his need to insult
others to promote himself.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.dts-l.org


"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:uWxLDs1XFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I am not saying you are like this in all situations, but at the moment you
> appear to be both logic- and humor-impaired.

Jim
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm afraid that your mistaken. Most of the MVP's who have a website have
disclaimers as to how you use thier info, does that mean they are "hiding
behind" a disclaimer as well? No it doesn't.
"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
news:ufdaOL1XFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Jim;
> If the owner of that site felt there was any real credibility to the
> information presented, there would be no need for the site to hide behind
> the disclaimer near the bottom of the page.
>
> Better to find a site with no need to hide behind disclaimers.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
> news:OwipT5wXFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> This explains the whole mess perfectly,
>> http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/
>
>

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Jim;
Perhaps I should have clarified.
Disclaimers are not always bad
His disclaimer is different.
His site hides behind the disclaimer while others use the disclaimer for
important information.
His site is largely based on insults to businesses and individuals.
Since the site seems to depend on such to survive, it can not be taken
seriously.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.dts-l.org


"Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
news:uE3$va7XFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm afraid that your mistaken. Most of the MVP's who have a website have
> disclaimers as to how you use thier info, does that mean they are "hiding
> behind" a disclaimer as well? No it doesn't.

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> When I want facts or humour, I will go to a place that does not seek
> to confuse the viewer with the two.
> I understand the meanings, but as usual, the owner shows his need to
> insult others to promote himself.
>

Some of us can multi-task and have some fun while dealing with the
facts. It's called enjoying life while you got it. There is no need to
go through life with a sour puss.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Just curious, to which site are you referring?

Alias

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote

> Jim;
> Perhaps I should have clarified.
> Disclaimers are not always bad
> His disclaimer is different.
> His site hides behind the disclaimer while others use the disclaimer for
> important information.
> His site is largely based on insults to businesses and individuals.
> Since the site seems to depend on such to survive, it can not be taken
> seriously.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
> news:uE3$va7XFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> I'm afraid that your mistaken. Most of the MVP's who have a website have
>> disclaimers as to how you use thier info, does that mean they are "hiding
>> behind" a disclaimer as well? No it doesn't.
>
>

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Jim;
> Perhaps I should have clarified.
> Disclaimers are not always bad
> His disclaimer is different.
> His site hides behind the disclaimer while others use the disclaimer
> for important information.
> His site is largely based on insults to businesses and individuals.
> Since the site seems to depend on such to survive, it can not be taken
> seriously.

LOL! That is your opinion. Other's obviously disagree with you, and
are bright enough to separate the humor sections from the more serious
sections of my website.

That you are spending time arguing about my website does show me that
you take more seriously than you say you do. And when you reply to my
posts here in this group, you go out of your way to x-out my website url
from my sig, demonstrates to me that you are affected by it!

Yes, that would be my opinion, but one that is based on your own
actions, and not you hollow words. But please, do go on & on about my
website! And while your at it, diss my new blog too!

http://kurttrail.com/kblog

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Jim
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
I don't intend to get into a pissing contest but I disagree with you. Just
because you don't agree with the content doesn't mean a disclaimer isn't
warranted; and because of the disclaimer, that the info isn't accurate. Some
of the content is opinion as well and I happen to agree with that opinion
where as you do not agree. Thats fine but disclaimers simply have nothing to
do with it at all.
That's all I have to say about that.


"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
news:e5TLek7XFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Jim;
> Perhaps I should have clarified.
> Disclaimers are not always bad
> His disclaimer is different.
> His site hides behind the disclaimer while others use the disclaimer for
> important information.
> His site is largely based on insults to businesses and individuals.
> Since the site seems to depend on such to survive, it can not be taken
> seriously.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
> news:uE3$va7XFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> I'm afraid that your mistaken. Most of the MVP's who have a website have
>> disclaimers as to how you use thier info, does that mean they are "hiding
>> behind" a disclaimer as well? No it doesn't.
>
>

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
The Dreaded *Microscum*!
Font of all evil.

Alias wrote:
> Just curious, to which site are you referring?
>
> Alias
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote
>
>> Jim;
>> Perhaps I should have clarified.
>> Disclaimers are not always bad
>> His disclaimer is different.
>> His site hides behind the disclaimer while others use the disclaimer
>> for important information.
>> His site is largely based on insults to businesses and individuals.
>> Since the site seems to depend on such to survive, it can not be
>> taken seriously.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>
>>
>> "Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
>> news:uE3$va7XFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> I'm afraid that your mistaken. Most of the MVP's who have a website
>>> have disclaimers as to how you use thier info, does that mean they
>>> are "hiding behind" a disclaimer as well? No it doesn't.

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
kurttrail wrote:
> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>> Jim;
>> Perhaps I should have clarified.
>> Disclaimers are not always bad
>> His disclaimer is different.
>> His site hides behind the disclaimer while others use the disclaimer
>> for important information.
>> His site is largely based on insults to businesses and individuals.
>> Since the site seems to depend on such to survive, it can not be
>> taken seriously.
>
> LOL! That is your opinion. Other's obviously disagree with you, and
> are bright enough to separate the humor sections from the more serious
> sections of my website.
>
> That you are spending time arguing about my website does show me that
> you take more seriously than you say you do. And when you reply to my
> posts here in this group, you go out of your way to x-out my website
> url from my sig, demonstrates to me that you are affected by it!


Sounds like another poster I can think of. When he starts mentioning
bestiality, you'll know that the obsession has gottem out of hand!


>
> Yes, that would be my opinion, but one that is based on your own
> actions, and not you hollow words. But please, do go on & on about my
> website! And while your at it, diss my new blog too!
>
> http://kurttrail.com/kblog

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Oh, I see.

Alias
"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:u6q2rr$XFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The Dreaded *Microscum*!
> Font of all evil.
>
> Alias wrote:
>> Just curious, to which site are you referring?
>>
>> Alias
>>
>> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote
>>
>>> Jim;
>>> Perhaps I should have clarified.
>>> Disclaimers are not always bad
>>> His disclaimer is different.
>>> His site hides behind the disclaimer while others use the disclaimer
>>> for important information.
>>> His site is largely based on insults to businesses and individuals.
>>> Since the site seems to depend on such to survive, it can not be
>>> taken seriously.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>>
>>>
>>> "Jim" <NOSPAM@no.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uE3$va7XFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>> I'm afraid that your mistaken. Most of the MVP's who have a website
>>>> have disclaimers as to how you use thier info, does that mean they
>>>> are "hiding behind" a disclaimer as well? No it doesn't.
>
>
>


Activation