How to adjust mouse sensitivity?



bof
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
I was wanting to adjust the sensitivity of my mouse movement under XP
Home SP2, went to Control Panel, but there is no "Mouse" item there. Any
suggestions on how to configure my mouse? MTIA

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Byte
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
You probably have your Control Panel under category view. Top left, click
classic view and you'll have the mouse listed. Double click it the Mouse
icon.
--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.


"bof" wrote:

>
> I was wanting to adjust the sensitivity of my mouse movement under XP
> Home SP2, went to Control Panel, but there is no "Mouse" item there. Any
> suggestions on how to configure my mouse? MTIA
>
> --
> bof at bof dot me dot uk
>

bof
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
In message <D47E7C8F-6969-4E87-B478-E0ED232092C9@microsoft.com>, Byte
<Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>You probably have your Control Panel under category view. Top left, click
>classic view and you'll have the mouse listed. Double click it the Mouse
>icon.

Thanks for the suggestion, Control is in Classic View and no mouse.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

petecee
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
If you definitely have no mouse icon in the control panel you may have a
corrupted main.cpl file. Rather than search for it go to the Start/ Run
command line and type "control mouse" (without the quotes) and this should
open your Mouse properties box.

petecee

"bof" wrote:

>
> I was wanting to adjust the sensitivity of my mouse movement under XP
> Home SP2, went to Control Panel, but there is no "Mouse" item there. Any
> suggestions on how to configure my mouse? MTIA
>
> --
> bof at bof dot me dot uk
>

DanR
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
First try this. Click START / RUN and type main.cpl
That should open the control panel mouse applet.
Could be that the mouse icon in control panel has been hidden. Do you have
"tweakUI" on your computer? If not download it from Microsoft. Search for
"powertoys for windowsXP". There are many of these powertoys. Download
"tweakui". From that program look in the left column for "Control Panel". To the
right you will see control panel extensions with a box for checkmarks. Look for
the one named "main.cpl". If unchecked... check it.
There are a few mouse settings you can make directly from tweakui. See "mouse"
in the left hand column.

bof wrote:
> In message <D47E7C8F-6969-4E87-B478-E0ED232092C9@microsoft.com>, Byte
> <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>> You probably have your Control Panel under category view. Top left, click
>> classic view and you'll have the mouse listed. Double click it the Mouse
>> icon.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Control is in Classic View and no mouse.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
If Control Panel is set to Category View click Printers and Other Hardware.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:wD92FSmUyzjCFwdp@invalid.domain...
>
> I was wanting to adjust the sensitivity of my mouse movement under XP Home
> SP2, went to Control Panel, but there is no "Mouse" item there. Any
> suggestions on how to configure my mouse? MTIA
>
> --
> bof at bof dot me dot uk

Sharon F
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:50:12 +0100, bof wrote:

> I was wanting to adjust the sensitivity of my mouse movement under XP
> Home SP2, went to Control Panel, but there is no "Mouse" item there. Any
> suggestions on how to configure my mouse? MTIA

Open Control Panel. Click on the link in the left hand column that says
"Switch to Classic view." The Control Panel window will change appearance
showing a list of the installed control panel applets including "Mouse."

The link that you clicked earlier will now say "switch to Category view."
Click again to return to the previous view if that's what you prefer or are
used to.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

bof
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
In message <0623DB52-CC65-436C-88CA-8AA2E3E44915@microsoft.com>, petecee
<petecee@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>If you definitely have no mouse icon in the control panel you may have a
>corrupted main.cpl file. Rather than search for it go to the Start/ Run
>command line and type "control mouse" (without the quotes) and this should
>open your Mouse properties box.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has replied so far with suggestions.
Looks like the problem is there is no main.cpl file in the expected
location, I've found a copy in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache" which
works fine, is there a preferred folder I should copy it to so that it
appears in Control Panel?

MTIA

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:kE0DUcnw10jCFwPN@invalid.domain...
> In message <D47E7C8F-6969-4E87-B478-E0ED232092C9@microsoft.com>, Byte
> <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
> >You probably have your Control Panel under category view. Top left,
click
> >classic view and you'll have the mouse listed. Double click it the Mouse
> >icon.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Control is in Classic View and no mouse.
>
> --
> bof at bof dot me dot uk

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
bof wrote:
> In message <D47E7C8F-6969-4E87-B478-E0ED232092C9@microsoft.com>, Byte
> <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>> You probably have your Control Panel under category view. Top left,
>> click classic view and you'll have the mouse listed. Double click
>> it the Mouse icon.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Control is in Classic View and no mouse.


bof, you may want to use these instructions from Kelly's Korner to bring
back the mouse icon in Control Panel. Source:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cpiconsmissing

Control Panel - Icons Missing

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load

Look in the right pane and you'll see the Control Panel Icons that have been
disabled. You can either right click on the "don't load" subkey and select
Delete to restore all disabled icons, or you can right click on each of the
items in the right pane and select Delete to selectively restore them.
Scroll up to Control Panel Applets for a listing of what each one is.

petecee
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi bof,
All the information you need to put the little varmint back where he belongs.

Description of Control Panel Files in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313808

bye,
petecee

"bof" wrote:

> In message <0623DB52-CC65-436C-88CA-8AA2E3E44915@microsoft.com>, petecee
> <petecee@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
> >If you definitely have no mouse icon in the control panel you may have a
> >corrupted main.cpl file. Rather than search for it go to the Start/ Run
> >command line and type "control mouse" (without the quotes) and this should
> >open your Mouse properties box.
>
> Firstly, thanks to everyone who has replied so far with suggestions.
> Looks like the problem is there is no main.cpl file in the expected
> location, I've found a copy in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache" which
> works fine, is there a preferred folder I should copy it to so that it
> appears in Control Panel?
>
> MTIA
>
> --
> bof at bof dot me dot uk
>

bof
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
In message <E39F3C9F-5896-4BBA-B321-7C191C33CC4E@microsoft.com>, petecee
<petecee@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>Hi bof,
>All the information you need to put the little varmint

:-)


> back where he belongs.
>
>Description of Control Panel Files in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313808

Ta, just copied it up a folder level from where it was, and all's hunky
dory once again.

Thanks to all in the thread for their help.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk


How to adjust mouse sensitivity?