Re: XP/ Control Panel / Add/remove programs



alba1314
07-09-2005, 11:38 PM
I too have a problem with Add?Remove - after listing for Hare 1.5.1
program (from Dachshund Software) I have HUGE expanse of space that
looks like a barcode and lengthens Add/Remove pane by around 3-4 times
its normal length until the next listed program Icon Catcher (from
Helexis) is listed.


I have tried the Add or Remove - White Space fix listed at
'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws'
(http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws) and also Autodesk Land
Desktop 3 Fix
at 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...ddremovefix.zip'
(http://tinyurl.com/7c6ey), but neither of these worked for me.

Can anyone please advise??


--
alba1314
------------------------------------------------------------------------
alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends them
to a log file
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs

Download the VBScript and run it. When you see the log file, copy the
contents and paste them here.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"alba1314" <alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message
news:alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>
> I too have a problem with Add?Remove - after listing for Hare 1.5.1
> program (from Dachshund Software) I have HUGE expanse of space that
> looks like a barcode and lengthens Add/Remove pane by around 3-4 times
> its normal length until the next listed program Icon Catcher (from
> Helexis) is listed.
>
>
> I have tried the Add or Remove - White Space fix listed at
> 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws'
> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws) and also Autodesk Land
> Desktop 3 Fix
> at 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...ddremovefix.zip'
> (http://tinyurl.com/7c6ey), but neither of these worked for me.
>
> Can anyone please advise??
>
>
> --
> alba1314
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
>

Wesley Vogel
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Coll Ramesh! :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OasY0CDZFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends
> them to a log file
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs
>
> Download the VBScript and run it. When you see the log file, copy the
> contents and paste them here.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
>
> "alba1314" <alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message
> news:alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>>
>> I too have a problem with Add?Remove - after listing for Hare 1.5.1
>> program (from Dachshund Software) I have HUGE expanse of space that
>> looks like a barcode and lengthens Add/Remove pane by around 3-4 times
>> its normal length until the next listed program Icon Catcher (from
>> Helexis) is listed.
>>
>>
>> I have tried the Add or Remove - White Space fix listed at
>> 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws'
>> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws) and also Autodesk Land
>> Desktop 3 Fix
>> at 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...ddremovefix.zip'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/7c6ey), but neither of these worked for me.
>>
>> Can anyone please advise??
>>
>>
>> --
>> alba1314
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
>> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks Wes :-)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23td5rcHZFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Coll Ramesh! :-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OasY0CDZFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends
>> them to a log file
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs
>>
>> Download the VBScript and run it. When you see the log file, copy the
>> contents and paste them here.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>>
>> "alba1314" <alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>>>
>>> I too have a problem with Add?Remove - after listing for Hare 1.5.1
>>> program (from Dachshund Software) I have HUGE expanse of space that
>>> looks like a barcode and lengthens Add/Remove pane by around 3-4 times
>>> its normal length until the next listed program Icon Catcher (from
>>> Helexis) is listed.
>>>
>>>
>>> I have tried the Add or Remove - White Space fix listed at
>>> 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws'
>>> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws) and also Autodesk Land
>>> Desktop 3 Fix
>>> at 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...ddremovefix.zip'
>>> (http://tinyurl.com/7c6ey), but neither of these worked for me.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please advise??
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> alba1314
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
>>> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
>

Wesley Vogel
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Actually that should've read Cool *not* Coll. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ewy4uKOZFHA.1368@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wes :-)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
>
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:%23td5rcHZFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Coll Ramesh! :-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OasY0CDZFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends
>>> them to a log file
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs
>>>
>>> Download the VBScript and run it. When you see the log file, copy the
>>> contents and paste them here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>
>>>
>>> "alba1314" <alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>>>>
>>>> I too have a problem with Add?Remove - after listing for Hare 1.5.1
>>>> program (from Dachshund Software) I have HUGE expanse of space that
>>>> looks like a barcode and lengthens Add/Remove pane by around 3-4 times
>>>> its normal length until the next listed program Icon Catcher (from
>>>> Helexis) is listed.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I have tried the Add or Remove - White Space fix listed at
>>>> 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws'
>>>> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws) and also Autodesk Land
>>>> Desktop 3 Fix
>>>> at 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...ddremovefix.zip'
>>>> (http://tinyurl.com/7c6ey), but neither of these worked for me.
>>>>
>>>> Can anyone please advise??
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> alba1314
>>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
-
>>>> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
>>>> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Yup, I understood that Wes :-)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:esKVRoTZFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Actually that should've read Cool *not* Coll. ;-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ewy4uKOZFHA.1368@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Thanks Wes :-)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:%23td5rcHZFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Coll Ramesh! :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:OasY0CDZFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>>> Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends
>>>> them to a log file
>>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs
>>>>
>>>> Download the VBScript and run it. When you see the log file, copy the
>>>> contents and paste them here.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "alba1314" <alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in
>>>> message
>>>> news:alba1314.1pdrxk@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>>>>>
>>>>> I too have a problem with Add?Remove - after listing for Hare 1.5.1
>>>>> program (from Dachshund Software) I have HUGE expanse of space that
>>>>> looks like a barcode and lengthens Add/Remove pane by around 3-4 times
>>>>> its normal length until the next listed program Icon Catcher (from
>>>>> Helexis) is listed.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I have tried the Add or Remove - White Space fix listed at
>>>>> 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws'
>>>>> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws) and also Autodesk Land
>>>>> Desktop 3 Fix
>>>>> at 'http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...ddremovefix.zip'
>>>>> (http://tinyurl.com/7c6ey), but neither of these worked for me.
>>>>>
>>>>> Can anyone please advise??
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> alba1314
>>>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -
>>>>> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
>>>>> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
>

alba1314
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Apologies for not getting back to you quicker, Ramesh - have been unwell
recently and have only just gotten around to catching up on things!


Downloaded and run the vbs you suggested and the resulting log was:
Add/Remove Programs entries with negative icon references
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<-----Begin----->
Registry Path:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ad-Aware SE
Personal
Icon Reference: C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe,-0
Registry Path:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BearShare
Icon Reference: C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe,-128
Registry Path:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo!
Companion
Icon Reference:
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn0\YCOMP5~1.DLL,-101
Registry Path:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo! Mail
AutoComplete
Icon Reference: C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yaddbook.dll,-205
Registry Path:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo!
Messenger Explorer Bar
Icon Reference: C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YHEXBM~1.DLL,-107
Registry Path:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo!
Messenger with BT Communicator
Icon Reference: C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe,-0
* Where HKLM refers to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
<-----End----->

Hope you can help??


--
alba1314
------------------------------------------------------------------------
alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
alba1314,

First, backup the Uninstall key to a REG file. Then open Regedit.exe and
then change the negative icon references for all the items.

Example:

C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe,-0
to
C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe

C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe,-128
to
C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe

And so forth.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"alba1314" <alba1314.1py2gt@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message
news:alba1314.1py2gt@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>
> Apologies for not getting back to you quicker, Ramesh - have been unwell
> recently and have only just gotten around to catching up on things!
>
>
> Downloaded and run the vbs you suggested and the resulting log was:
> Add/Remove Programs entries with negative icon references
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> <-----Begin----->
> Registry Path:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ad-Aware SE
> Personal
> Icon Reference: C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe,-0
> Registry Path:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BearShare
> Icon Reference: C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe,-128
> Registry Path:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo!
> Companion
> Icon Reference:
> C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn0\YCOMP5~1.DLL,-101
> Registry Path:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo! Mail
> AutoComplete
> Icon Reference: C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yaddbook.dll,-205
> Registry Path:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo!
> Messenger Explorer Bar
> Icon Reference: C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YHEXBM~1.DLL,-107
> Registry Path:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo!
> Messenger with BT Communicator
> Icon Reference: C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe,-0
> * Where HKLM refers to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> <-----End----->
>
> Hope you can help??
>
>
> --
> alba1314
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
>

alba1314
07-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Probably a silly question, Ramesh - But how do I back up the Uninstall
key to a REG file and make the changes in regedit?

I've done some work in regedit before, so I'm not a complete novice,
but am unsure of how to follow your instructions to make changes? Am
fearful I may make a mistake and cause problems with only the brief
instructions you have given me. Can you please elaborate?

I appreciate your help very much indeed. Many thanks!


--
alba1314
------------------------------------------------------------------------
alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

NotMe
07-09-2005, 11:55 PM
in reg editor, rt click the key and choose export.
name it something that you will know what it is for.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"alba1314" <alba1314.1pyj52@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message
news:alba1314.1pyj52@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
> Probably a silly question, Ramesh - But how do I back up the Uninstall
> key to a REG file and make the changes in regedit?
> I've done some work in regedit before, so I'm not a complete novice,
> but am unsure of how to follow your instructions to make changes? Am
> fearful I may make a mistake and cause problems with only the brief
> instructions you have given me. Can you please elaborate?
>
> I appreciate your help very much indeed. Many thanks!
> alba1314
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
>

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Use Method 2, if you want to export a selected branch of the registry.
How to backup the Windows XP Registry?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

For a complete registry backup, use ERUNT
http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"alba1314" <alba1314.1pyj52@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message
news:alba1314.1pyj52@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>
> Probably a silly question, Ramesh - But how do I back up the Uninstall
> key to a REG file and make the changes in regedit?
>
> I've done some work in regedit before, so I'm not a complete novice,
> but am unsure of how to follow your instructions to make changes? Am
> fearful I may make a mistake and cause problems with only the brief
> instructions you have given me. Can you please elaborate?
>
> I appreciate your help very much indeed. Many thanks!
>
>
> --
> alba1314
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
>

alba1314
07-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Ramesh,

Do I just amend those entries that have a "-" symbol at the end of
their string? From what I can see, there are six entries to be amended
- is this correct?

Have backed up entire registry using ERUNT - do I now make the changes
as you describe in http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm link?

Sorry if this is dragging things out... I just want to be certain of
things before I make any changes to the registry.


--
alba1314
------------------------------------------------------------------------
alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Example:

C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe,-0
to
C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe

C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe,-128
to
C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe

And so forth.


--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"alba1314" <alba1314.1q042z@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message
news:alba1314.1q042z@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
>
> Ramesh,
>
> Do I just amend those entries that have a "-" symbol at the end of
> their string? From what I can see, there are six entries to be amended
> - is this correct?
>
> Have backed up entire registry using ERUNT - do I now make the changes
> as you describe in http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm link?
>
> Sorry if this is dragging things out... I just want to be certain of
> things before I make any changes to the registry.
>
>
> --
> alba1314
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
>

codercc
07-09-2005, 11:57 PM
This is a small freeware tool that will check which entries cause the
problem and after user confirmation goes ahead and actually cleans up
the respective registry entries: http://tinyurl.com/7eq8y

Enjoy.

- Claus


--
codercc
------------------------------------------------------------------------
codercc's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13440
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

Wesley Vogel
07-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Interesting. Too bad it needs .NET installed. ;-)

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/05/26/422076.aspx#423211


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:codercc.1q1b53@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com,
codercc <codercc.1q1b53@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> hunted and pecked:
> This is a small freeware tool that will check which entries cause the
> problem and after user confirmation goes ahead and actually cleans up
> the respective registry entries: http://tinyurl.com/7eq8y
>
> Enjoy.
>
> - Claus
>
>
> --
> codercc
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> codercc's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13440
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958

codercc
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
"ramesh13" wrote:
> Use Method 2, if you want to export a selected branch of the
> registry.
> How to backup the Windows XP Registry?:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
>
> For a complete registry backup, use ERUNT
> http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
>
> "alba1314" <alba1314.1pyj52@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com>
> wrote in message
> news:alba1314.1pyj52@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
> >
> > Probably a silly question, Ramesh - But how do I back up the
> Uninstall
> > key to a REG file and make the changes in regedit?
> >
> > I've done some work in regedit before, so I'm not a complete
> novice,
> > but am unsure of how to follow your instructions to make
> changes? Am
> > fearful I may make a mistake and cause problems with only
> the brief
> > instructions you have given me. Can you please elaborate?
> >
> > I appreciate your help very much indeed. Many thanks!
> >
> >
> > --
> > alba1314
> >
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> > alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
> > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958
> >

There is a small freeware tool that automatically edits the bad
entries in the registry to solve this problem. You can find it at
http://www.christensen-software.com/freesoftware/cleanup_add_remove_progra.htm
..

- Claus

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-XP-Control-Panel-Add-remove-programs-ftopict262847.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1711484

alba1314
07-10-2005, 12:04 AM
[image: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/icons/resolved.gif]
*Success!!*
I am pleased to report that after installing and running Iolo System
Mechanic program and deleting all unattached files and doing general
clean up with the registry, and my system, I found that my black and
white barcode has vanished and my Add/Remove preview pane is back to
normal.

As Ramesh had said, the problem must have been caused by errant entry
in the registry and SysMech helped me to clear it out, without me
having to go rooting around the registry and making any changes that
could have caused me problems later on.

So, I'm now one happy bunny! [image:
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif] [image:
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif] [image:
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif]

Thanks to all who helped - your input was much appreciated!
__________________
Cheers,

alba.


'*-alba's homepage-*' (http://tinyurl.com/7ulj3)

[image: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif]
[image: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/smilies/cool.gif]
[image: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif]


Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Processor: 1.30 gigahertz AMD Duron
Motherboard: Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-7VAX 1.x
Memory: 512 Megabytes Installed Memory
HDD: ST380021A (80.03 GB)

avast! antivirus Version 4.6.665
ZoneAlarm Pro version 5.5.094.000


--
alba1314
------------------------------------------------------------------------
alba1314's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13001
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=813958


Re: XP/ Control Panel / Add/remove programs