Decrypting Files from a Deleted Partition



Arthur
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Here is my situation: I had files stored on my desktop pc (windows xp) that
appened to be encrypted. I took those files from my deesktop pc and saved
them on my external hard drive (which was connected to my desktop pc by usb
cable). The files still maintained there encryption.
I then reformatted my desktop pc and re-installed all my software again.
When I reconnected my external hard drive and tried to access those encrypted
files that were backed up....it would not allow me.
I've read that I need a certificate to decrypt those files, but those
certificates have been wiped put when I reformatted.

How do I go about gaining access to those files again? How can I decrypt them?

Thanks,

Arthur

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Arthur;
Without the original keys, you can't.
You have discovered the "Delayed Recycle Bin".

Follow the links near the bottom of this page to help prevent this in the
future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

Step 1 on the above link can help if it is an Ownership and not encryption
issue.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.dts-l.org


"Arthur" <Arthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CE089507-34F8-415D-B4EC-8D99FF6A801C@microsoft.com...
> Here is my situation: I had files stored on my desktop pc (windows xp)
> that
> appened to be encrypted. I took those files from my deesktop pc and saved
> them on my external hard drive (which was connected to my desktop pc by
> usb
> cable). The files still maintained there encryption.
> I then reformatted my desktop pc and re-installed all my software again.
> When I reconnected my external hard drive and tried to access those
> encrypted
> files that were backed up....it would not allow me.
> I've read that I need a certificate to decrypt those files, but those
> certificates have been wiped put when I reformatted.
>
> How do I go about gaining access to those files again? How can I decrypt
> them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arthur

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers
07-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi Arthur,

What makes you think they are encrypted? Generally, this is something you
would have had to intentionally do, not something that could've happened by
accident. If you knowingly encrypted them, then as has already been stated
you will need the original encryption certificate. Without it, they are
permanently lost to you. If you are simply getting "access denied", then it
may just be an ownership issue, and this can help:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Arthur" <Arthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CE089507-34F8-415D-B4EC-8D99FF6A801C@microsoft.com...
> Here is my situation: I had files stored on my desktop pc (windows xp)
> that
> appened to be encrypted. I took those files from my deesktop pc and saved
> them on my external hard drive (which was connected to my desktop pc by
> usb
> cable). The files still maintained there encryption.
> I then reformatted my desktop pc and re-installed all my software again.
> When I reconnected my external hard drive and tried to access those
> encrypted
> files that were backed up....it would not allow me.
> I've read that I need a certificate to decrypt those files, but those
> certificates have been wiped put when I reformatted.
>
> How do I go about gaining access to those files again? How can I decrypt
> them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arthur

NobodyMan
07-09-2005, 11:38 PM
On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:26:03 -0700, Arthur
<Arthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Here is my situation: I had files stored on my desktop pc (windows xp) that
>appened to be encrypted. I took those files from my deesktop pc and saved
>them on my external hard drive (which was connected to my desktop pc by usb
>cable). The files still maintained there encryption.
>I then reformatted my desktop pc and re-installed all my software again.
>When I reconnected my external hard drive and tried to access those encrypted
>files that were backed up....it would not allow me.
>I've read that I need a certificate to decrypt those files, but those
>certificates have been wiped put when I reformatted.
>
>How do I go about gaining access to those files again? How can I decrypt them?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Arthur

If you truly encrypted these files, then you can't ever gain access to
them again...ever.

Now you know the dangers of encryption. Surely there was an easier
way to hide you home collection of porn?

DevilsPGD
07-09-2005, 11:39 PM
In message <9lkv81l1rljqfcajioajgpnplie29qbt8e@4ax.com> NobodyMan
<none@none.net> wrote:

>If you truly encrypted these files, then you can't ever gain access to
>them again...ever.

That isn't entirely true. If you live in the US, you just need to
convince homeland security that you are a threat and you can get access
to the decrypted content during discovery.

Assuming you're eventually acquitted, then it's all good.


--
A cheap shot is a terrible thing to waste.

NobodyMan
07-09-2005, 11:40 PM
On Sat, 21 May 2005 23:39:29 -0600, DevilsPGD <spamsucks@crazyhat.net>
wrote:

>In message <9lkv81l1rljqfcajioajgpnplie29qbt8e@4ax.com> NobodyMan
><none@none.net> wrote:
>
>>If you truly encrypted these files, then you can't ever gain access to
>>them again...ever.
>
>That isn't entirely true. If you live in the US, you just need to
>convince homeland security that you are a threat and you can get access
>to the decrypted content during discovery.

Maybe, maybe not. Even with the old NSA and their code breaking
stuff, it is difficult to break the high-level cypher stuff - which is
what is provided in XP, for some reason.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Do you have a source that shows that this can be done in a reasonable amount
of time with the current levels of encryption?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.dts-l.org


"DevilsPGD" <spamsucks@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> That isn't entirely true. If you live in the US, you just need to
> convince homeland security that you are a threat and you can get access
> to the decrypted content during discovery.
>
> Assuming you're eventually acquitted, then it's all good.
>
>
> --
> A cheap shot is a terrible thing to waste.


Decrypting Files from a Deleted Partition