4 Users on XP Home, 1 users dies during logon????



max
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
There are 4 users on the XP-Home machine

1 user gets a dialog box from "Explorer.exe" which is something like
"Application failed to initialize properly" with an error code of
0xc01500002. The MS Kb indicates this is form Office. Could this be
so when the person is trying to logon? After this error, the computer
locks up.

Any ideas what I can do??

Thanks,
--max

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
max wrote:

> There are 4 users on the XP-Home machine
>
> 1 user gets a dialog box from "Explorer.exe" which is something like
> "Application failed to initialize properly" with an error code of
> 0xc01500002. The MS Kb indicates this is form Office. Could this be
> so when the person is trying to logon? After this error, the computer
> locks up.
>
> Any ideas what I can do??
>
> Thanks,
> --max

One option is to create a new user profile. Copy the data from the old
user profile to the new one, then delete the old.

HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Kelly
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi Rock,

I found this one interesting. The only thing that came to mind, if it was
Office related is that there was the infamous setting missing via many
multi-profile systems to where Office was installed under an admin account
and another user was trying to apply. Even with that said, many other
installer issues can trigger the same behavior.

With that, I would suggest to the OP to running this combo:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

As per Office, see line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Vote: Bo

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:Oi4oc1cXFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> max wrote:
>
>> There are 4 users on the XP-Home machine
>>
>> 1 user gets a dialog box from "Explorer.exe" which is something like
>> "Application failed to initialize properly" with an error code of
>> 0xc01500002. The MS Kb indicates this is form Office. Could this be
>> so when the person is trying to logon? After this error, the computer
>> locks up.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can do??
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --max
>
> One option is to create a new user profile. Copy the data from the old
> user profile to the new one, then delete the old.
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783
>
> How to Copy a User Profile
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
>
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

max
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi Kelly,

These did not find any problems:
>Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis
HJT log is 56 lines!

I applied the change you suggested:
>As per Office, see line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

From the working Administrator Account and then changed to the only
user that has a problem and the system still locked up.

My question is how do you make changes to a user who is not logged in
so when they start the changes will take place. I've searched the
registry for all the "runonce" key and looked in all the "run" keys
and there is nothing.

MSDN KB indicates that the system was didn't complete SP1a (XP Home),
but SP 2 is installed. "Office Update" and "Windows Update" both
indicate that there are no more updates for this box. I wonder what
the problem could be.

Thanks for your assistance.

--max

On Sat, 21 May 2005 01:34:53 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Rock,
>
>I found this one interesting. The only thing that came to mind, if it was
>Office related is that there was the infamous setting missing via many
>multi-profile systems to where Office was installed under an admin account
>and another user was trying to apply. Even with that said, many other
>installer issues can trigger the same behavior.
>
>With that, I would suggest to the OP to running this combo:
>
>Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
>http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>
>Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>
>As per Office, see line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

max
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the reply Rock. I will give this a try.

later,
--max

On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:21:45 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:

>max wrote:
>
>> There are 4 users on the XP-Home machine
>>
>> 1 user gets a dialog box from "Explorer.exe" which is something like
>> "Application failed to initialize properly" with an error code of
>> 0xc01500002. The MS Kb indicates this is form Office. Could this be
>> so when the person is trying to logon? After this error, the computer
>> locks up.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can do??
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --max
>
>One option is to create a new user profile. Copy the data from the old
>user profile to the new one, then delete the old.
>
>HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783
>
>How to Copy a User Profile
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Kelly wrote:
> Hi Rock,
>
> I found this one interesting. The only thing that came to mind, if it was
> Office related is that there was the infamous setting missing via many
> multi-profile systems to where Office was installed under an admin account
> and another user was trying to apply. Even with that said, many other
> installer issues can trigger the same behavior.
>
> With that, I would suggest to the OP to running this combo:
>
> Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>
> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>
> As per Office, see line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Thanks for the info Kelly. I was not familiar with this infamous
setting missing for Office. Hope the OP finds a resolution and posts
back what worked.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

max
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi Rock,

Am I the OP??? Did you see my response to Kelly? Would you care to
respond? I hope so.

Later,
--max

On Sat, 21 May 2005 21:25:16 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:

>Kelly wrote:
>> Hi Rock,
>>
>> I found this one interesting. The only thing that came to mind, if it was
>> Office related is that there was the infamous setting missing via many
>> multi-profile systems to where Office was installed under an admin account
>> and another user was trying to apply. Even with that said, many other
>> installer issues can trigger the same behavior.
>>
>> With that, I would suggest to the OP to running this combo:
>>
>> Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>>
>> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>>
>> As per Office, see line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
>Thanks for the info Kelly. I was not familiar with this infamous
>setting missing for Office. Hope the OP finds a resolution and posts
>back what worked.

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
max wrote:

> Hi Rock,
>
> Am I the OP??? Did you see my response to Kelly? Would you care to
> respond? I hope so.
>
> Later,
> --max
>
> On Sat, 21 May 2005 21:25:16 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Kelly wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Rock,
>>>
>>>I found this one interesting. The only thing that came to mind, if it was
>>>Office related is that there was the infamous setting missing via many
>>>multi-profile systems to where Office was installed under an admin account
>>>and another user was trying to apply. Even with that said, many other
>>>installer issues can trigger the same behavior.
>>>
>>>With that, I would suggest to the OP to running this combo:
>>>
>>>Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
>>>http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>>>
>>>Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>>>
>>>As per Office, see line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:
>>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>
>>Thanks for the info Kelly. I was not familiar with this infamous
>>setting missing for Office. Hope the OP finds a resolution and posts
>>back what worked.
>

Yes you're the OP - Original Poster. I saw your reply. Did you try
creating a new profile?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


4 Users on XP Home, 1 users dies during logon????