Formatting and reloading OS



Carpe Delerium
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed up the
data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software for my Rom drive.
Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure on this HD, and have only
managed to save the data by slaving it to another computer ... please help.
--
Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Carpe Delerium wrote:
> How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed
> up the data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software
> for my Rom drive. Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure
> on this HD, and have only managed to save the data by slaving it to
> another computer ... please help.

Dear Mr. Delerium:
What do you mean, exactly, by "I have lost the software for my Rom drive"?
Do you mean that you have no copy of XP?
This may clear up your confusion:
If you have lost your copy of XP, you will have to borrow a copy of the same
type (Home or Pro, Retail or OEM) as your Product Key label requires.
UNLESS: You received your name-brand computer with XP already loaded by the
manufacturer. In that case, read your manual and contact your manufacturer
if necessary.

Carpe Delerium
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
No, I lost the software CD that came with the CD Rom drive when I bought it.
I still have my XP disks.
--
Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had


"T. Waters" wrote:

> Carpe Delerium wrote:
> > How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed
> > up the data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software
> > for my Rom drive. Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure
> > on this HD, and have only managed to save the data by slaving it to
> > another computer ... please help.
>
> Dear Mr. Delerium:
> What do you mean, exactly, by "I have lost the software for my Rom drive"?
> Do you mean that you have no copy of XP?
> This may clear up your confusion:
> If you have lost your copy of XP, you will have to borrow a copy of the same
> type (Home or Pro, Retail or OEM) as your Product Key label requires.
> UNLESS: You received your name-brand computer with XP already loaded by the
> manufacturer. In that case, read your manual and contact your manufacturer
> if necessary.
>
>
>

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Usually driver software (if that is what it was) for a CD-ROM is so basic
that XP can usually provide the driver from its native collection of
drivers. Is your CD-ROM nonfunctional at this time?

Carpe Delerium wrote:
> No, I lost the software CD that came with the CD Rom drive when I
> bought it. I still have my XP disks.
>
>> Carpe Delerium wrote:
>>> How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed
>>> up the data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software
>>> for my Rom drive. Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure
>>> on this HD, and have only managed to save the data by slaving it to
>>> another computer ... please help.
>>
>> Dear Mr. Delerium:
>> What do you mean, exactly, by "I have lost the software for my Rom
>> drive"? Do you mean that you have no copy of XP?
>> This may clear up your confusion:
>> If you have lost your copy of XP, you will have to borrow a copy of
>> the same type (Home or Pro, Retail or OEM) as your Product Key label
>> requires. UNLESS: You received your name-brand computer with XP
>> already loaded by the manufacturer. In that case, read your manual
>> and contact your manufacturer if necessary.

Carpe Delerium
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
When I was trying to set up the harddrive with the other motherboard, I got a
harddrive failure message, and after that it would not read the Rom drive or
the floppy drive or anything. That's when I took out the harddrive and slaved
it on another computer, recovering the data. Now i want to format that drive,
whether on the primary computer or the other motherboard... but I have never
done it before.

I had both 20 gig harddrives in the same computer, the XP drive as Primary,
a Win98 drive as slave (used mostly to store data). The Win98 drive I had
removed from an old CPU/Motherboard, installing it in a newer CPU as slave
only to access data files and use it as a storage bin for new data, which
worked fine. On the odd occasion when the XP drive had troubles, I could boot
to the WIN98 drive and go onto the net to get to Help and Support, or to
download drivers etc. as necessary.

We were recently given yet another old CPU with monitor, printer, keyboard
etc, and I wanted to return the Win98 drive to it's old CPU and hook it up
with the other peripherals as a word processor/games computer. The CPU we
were given is only a 188, so it's a boat anchor as far as i'm concerned. The
old one we already had is at least a 488, so for WP and simple solitaire
games, it's fine. That's why I wish to re-hook up the second 20 gig drive to
it's original motherboard... unfortunately i disconnected and installed the
WRONG drive to the 488, so I switched them again. After that switch, when I
reinstalled the WinXP drive in the 800mHz CPU, i got the HD failure message,
so I took it out AGAIN and reinstalled the Win98 drive, upgrading it to XP
(because I barely remember where to find anything in 98), and I slaved the
original XP drive to the second XP drive to recover the data. Now I wish to
take the original XP drive, format it, load Win98 onto it, and then load
MSWord onto it and some of our older PC games that won't run on XP.

I sincerely hope this makes sense to you, and you can now lead me into the
land of formatting harddrives and loading OS's. Thanks for taking the time...
it's greatly appreciated!!

Carpe
--
Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had


"T. Waters" wrote:

> Usually driver software (if that is what it was) for a CD-ROM is so basic
> that XP can usually provide the driver from its native collection of
> drivers. Is your CD-ROM nonfunctional at this time?
>
> Carpe Delerium wrote:
> > No, I lost the software CD that came with the CD Rom drive when I
> > bought it. I still have my XP disks.
> >
> >> Carpe Delerium wrote:
> >>> How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed
> >>> up the data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software
> >>> for my Rom drive. Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure
> >>> on this HD, and have only managed to save the data by slaving it to
> >>> another computer ... please help.
> >>
> >> Dear Mr. Delerium:
> >> What do you mean, exactly, by "I have lost the software for my Rom
> >> drive"? Do you mean that you have no copy of XP?
> >> This may clear up your confusion:
> >> If you have lost your copy of XP, you will have to borrow a copy of
> >> the same type (Home or Pro, Retail or OEM) as your Product Key label
> >> requires. UNLESS: You received your name-brand computer with XP
> >> already loaded by the manufacturer. In that case, read your manual
> >> and contact your manufacturer if necessary.
>
>
>
>
>
>

izzy
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
"Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8AFC1AE2-BF05-49C2-B14B-132B1476E3DC@microsoft.com...
> When I was trying to set up the harddrive with the other motherboard,
> I got a
> harddrive failure message, and after that it would not read the Rom
> drive or
> the floppy drive or anything. That's when I took out the harddrive and
> slaved
> it on another computer, recovering the data. Now i want to format that
> drive,
> whether on the primary computer or the other motherboard... but I have
> never
> done it before.
>
> I had both 20 gig harddrives in the same computer, the XP drive as
> Primary,
> a Win98 drive as slave (used mostly to store data). The Win98 drive I
> had
> removed from an old CPU/Motherboard, installing it in a newer CPU as
> slave
> only to access data files and use it as a storage bin for new data,
> which
> worked fine. On the odd occasion when the XP drive had troubles, I
> could boot
> to the WIN98 drive and go onto the net to get to Help and Support, or
> to
> download drivers etc. as necessary.
>
> We were recently given yet another old CPU with monitor, printer,
> keyboard
> etc, and I wanted to return the Win98 drive to it's old CPU and hook
> it up
> with the other peripherals as a word processor/games computer. The CPU
> we
> were given is only a 188, so it's a boat anchor as far as i'm
> concerned. The
> old one we already had is at least a 488, so for WP and simple
> solitaire
> games, it's fine. That's why I wish to re-hook up the second 20 gig
> drive to
> it's original motherboard... unfortunately i disconnected and
> installed the
> WRONG drive to the 488, so I switched them again. After that switch,
> when I
> reinstalled the WinXP drive in the 800mHz CPU, i got the HD failure
> message,
> so I took it out AGAIN and reinstalled the Win98 drive, upgrading it
> to XP
> (because I barely remember where to find anything in 98), and I slaved
> the
> original XP drive to the second XP drive to recover the data. Now I
> wish to
> take the original XP drive, format it, load Win98 onto it, and then
> load
> MSWord onto it and some of our older PC games that won't run on XP.
>
> I sincerely hope this makes sense to you, and you can now lead me into
> the
> land of formatting harddrives and loading OS's. Thanks for taking the
> time...
> it's greatly appreciated!!
>
> Carpe
> --
> Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to
> be had
>
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
>> Usually driver software (if that is what it was) for a CD-ROM is so
>> basic
>> that XP can usually provide the driver from its native collection of
>> drivers. Is your CD-ROM nonfunctional at this time?
>>
>> Carpe Delerium wrote:
>> > No, I lost the software CD that came with the CD Rom drive when I
>> > bought it. I still have my XP disks.
>> >
>> >> Carpe Delerium wrote:
>> >>> How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already
>> >>> backed
>> >>> up the data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the
>> >>> software
>> >>> for my Rom drive. Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive
>> >>> failure
>> >>> on this HD, and have only managed to save the data by slaving it
>> >>> to
>> >>> another computer ... please help.
>> >>
>> >> Dear Mr. Delerium:
>> >> What do you mean, exactly, by "I have lost the software for my Rom
>> >> drive"? Do you mean that you have no copy of XP?
>> >> This may clear up your confusion:
>> >> If you have lost your copy of XP, you will have to borrow a copy
>> >> of
>> >> the same type (Home or Pro, Retail or OEM) as your Product Key
>> >> label
>> >> requires. UNLESS: You received your name-brand computer with XP
>> >> already loaded by the manufacturer. In that case, read your manual
>> >> and contact your manufacturer if necessary.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Michael Stevens
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
In news:C798898D-AAD2-4B12-948B-244AAF015D04@microsoft.com,
Carpe Delerium <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
> How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed
> up the data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software
> for my Rom drive. Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure
> on this HD, and have only managed to save the data by slaving it to
> another computer ... please help.

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Format XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

John Barnett MVP
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Visit my web site http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
button and take a look at questions 7, 41, and 85

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org


"Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C798898D-AAD2-4B12-948B-244AAF015D04@microsoft.com...
> How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed up
> the
> data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software for my Rom
> drive.
> Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure on this HD, and have
> only
> managed to save the data by slaving it to another computer ... please
> help.
> --
> Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be
> had

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Carpe Delerium wrote:
> How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed up the
> data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software for my Rom drive.
> Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure on this HD, and have only
> managed to save the data by slaving it to another computer ... please help.


Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

Paul Knudsen
07-10-2005, 12:50 AM
On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:42:02 -0700, "Carpe Delerium"
<CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I format a harddrive and reload the OS? I have already backed up the
>data I need to save onto CD's, but I have lost the software for my Rom drive.
>Confusion is rampant... I have a harddrive failure on this HD, and have only
>managed to save the data by slaving it to another computer ... please help.

Just a side note: if your drive worked on another computer, maybe the
problem isn't the drive. I'd make sure before going to all the
trouble of loading the OS.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/


Formatting and reloading OS