Can't change 'open with' file associations



lee
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Hello,

At some point I wrongly associated a particular program with opening a
certain file type; now I cannot seem to change it in windows.
I have often tried right-clicking on a file and going to 'open with',
browsing for the right program, and selecting that with 'always use this
program' selected. However the program I selected just fails to be recognised.
The program does exist and is fully functional if I manually open it by
going into Program Files.

So where and how do I get into the config settings to change this? I have
run MSCONFIG but can't see a relevant function in there.

many thanks.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Reinstall the program you want.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


"lee" <lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6EC6579A-3E23-45A9-89DC-44483DADB7D1@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> At some point I wrongly associated a particular program with opening a
> certain file type; now I cannot seem to change it in windows.
> I have often tried right-clicking on a file and going to 'open with',
> browsing for the right program, and selecting that with 'always use this
> program' selected. However the program I selected just fails to be
> recognised.
> The program does exist and is fully functional if I manually open it by
> going into Program Files.
>
> So where and how do I get into the config settings to change this? I have
> run MSCONFIG but can't see a relevant function in there.
>
> many thanks.
>
>

Kelly
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi,

Msconfig won't help you here. You need to go to Tools/Folder Options/View
Types. Added info here:

Troubleshooting Open With in XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith

Clear Dynamic "Open With" Lists
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/OpenWithClear.zip

Good luck and keep us posted.
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Vote: Bo

"lee" <lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6EC6579A-3E23-45A9-89DC-44483DADB7D1@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> At some point I wrongly associated a particular program with opening a
> certain file type; now I cannot seem to change it in windows.
> I have often tried right-clicking on a file and going to 'open with',
> browsing for the right program, and selecting that with 'always use this
> program' selected. However the program I selected just fails to be
> recognised.
> The program does exist and is fully functional if I manually open it by
> going into Program Files.
>
> So where and how do I get into the config settings to change this? I have
> run MSCONFIG but can't see a relevant function in there.
>
> many thanks.
>
>

lee
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
thanks kelly,

I've followed various tips on your pages and have managed to use Registry
Editor to fix the specific problem I had. Basically, the path to the needed
program was wrong since a more recent location change.

I can also kind of understand how to change which programs appear in the
'open with' box, with checkbox available. I have done a few little changes
successfully using the NoOpenWith value.

However I was thinking 'why not just reset all this to defaults' because
your tips seem to suggest this is possible. However I don't know what to do
with / how to enter the edits I've numbered below. I've read the top of your
'tips and tweaks' page but I don't understand. My comments below are in
brackets.

thanks again,
lee

1) Tip: Restore File Associations (Which specific file associations are
these? Just for 'open with'?)
- Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: assoc (ok done)
Copy the line for the association you wish to restore. (which line? There
are loads and I don't know what any mean!)
A Command Prompt window will open. Right click in this Window and select
Paste. Then press Enter

2) http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/OpenWithClear.zip (what specifically
does this do and how to use it?)

3) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/chooseprogramrestore.reg
(I have just lost my 'choose program' option so how to apply this? If
manually in Registry Editor, I'm not clear on specifically what data I enter
from that shown on the edit page, especially the final step)

lee
07-10-2005, 12:38 AM
hello again,

Did my previous question scare you off? lol
I think all I really need help with for now is this question:

From making a mistake in Registry Editor, I have lost my 'choose program'
functionality in 'open with' , so how to apply the registry change shown at
the url below? If manually in Registry Editor, I'm not clear on specifically
what data I enter from that shown, especially the final hexadecimal step. ie
What are 'comments' on the page below as opposed to actual data?

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/chooseprogramrestore.reg

thankyou.

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
lee wrote:

> hello again,
>
> Did my previous question scare you off? lol
> I think all I really need help with for now is this question:
>
> From making a mistake in Registry Editor, I have lost my 'choose program'
> functionality in 'open with' , so how to apply the registry change shown at
> the url below? If manually in Registry Editor, I'm not clear on specifically
> what data I enter from that shown, especially the final hexadecimal step. ie
> What are 'comments' on the page below as opposed to actual data?
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/chooseprogramrestore.reg
>
> thankyou.
>

You don't need to edit the registry manually. That is a *.reg file.
Save that file to your desktop and then double click it to import the
changes into the registry. Read the beginning of that page on Kelly's
site for this information on how to run the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

lee
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
hello Rock,

I saw those instructions yesterday but I felt they were a bit unclear;
So, when she says this:

"To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit. "

Does it mean I copy the text from that file into Notepad and save it as
chooseprogramrestore.reg
Presumably the name is important?
I then double click it (single click in my case), enter 'yes' and that's it?

lee

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
lee wrote:

> hello Rock,
>
> I saw those instructions yesterday but I felt they were a bit unclear;
> So, when she says this:
>
> "To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
> right clicking on the file and selecting Edit. "
>
> Does it mean I copy the text from that file into Notepad and save it as
> chooseprogramrestore.reg
> Presumably the name is important?
> I then double click it (single click in my case), enter 'yes' and that's it?
>
> lee
>

Click on that link,
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/chooseprogramrestore.reg. It
opens the *.reg file in a browser window. Right click in that window
and save as to a file and save to your desktop. Then double click that
file and say yes to import it into the registry.

If you want to view the contents of the *reg file without going back to
Kelly's site, once that file is saved on your desktop right click it and
choose Edit. It will open in notepad.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

lee
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
thanks again, all done successfully.
Presumably the specific saving method from Kelly's site, along with the file
name, aren't important? ie regardless of however you select/copy/save it into
a text file, XP only looks at the content as long as it has a .reg extension?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
1. Right. How you save it is irrelevant.
2. At least for SP2. I'm not sure earlier versions did not automatically
download.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


"lee" <lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C3E3E2D7-5D2F-428B-92E1-CD8FE77DEE90@microsoft.com...
>
> thanks again, all done successfully.
> Presumably the specific saving method from Kelly's site, along with the
> file
> name, aren't important? ie regardless of however you select/copy/save it
> into
> a text file, XP only looks at the content as long as it has a .reg
> extension?
>
>

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
lee wrote:

> thanks again, all done successfully.
> Presumably the specific saving method from Kelly's site, along with the file
> name, aren't important? ie regardless of however you select/copy/save it into
> a text file, XP only looks at the content as long as it has a .reg extension?
>
>

Right, it doesn't matter how it was saved.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


Can't change 'open with' file associations