BUG?: MSI 3.1 v2 doesn't update MSI.DLL from MSI 2.0



ChezWhiz
07-09-2005, 11:36 PM
If you install MSI 3.0 over MSI 2.0, MSI.DLL is updated from version
2.0.2600.1183 to 3.0.3790.2538. However if you install MSI 3.1 over
MSI 2.0 (without first installing MSI 3.0), then MSI.DLL remains at
version 2.0.2600.1183 whereas all the other MSI files (msiexec.exe,
msihnd.dll, msimsg.dll & msisip.dll) all go to 3.1.4000.1823.

Does anyone know if the changes to MSI.dll between version
2.0.2600.1183 and 3.0.3790.2538 are necessary for 3.1? If so, MS needs
to change the 3.1 install to allow for updating directly from 2.0.

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Windows Installer fails silently after you upgrade to Windows Installer 3.1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ChezWhiz" wrote:

| If you install MSI 3.0 over MSI 2.0, MSI.DLL is updated from version
| 2.0.2600.1183 to 3.0.3790.2538. However if you install MSI 3.1 over
| MSI 2.0 (without first installing MSI 3.0), then MSI.DLL remains at
| version 2.0.2600.1183 whereas all the other MSI files (msiexec.exe,
| msihnd.dll, msimsg.dll & msisip.dll) all go to 3.1.4000.1823.
|
| Does anyone know if the changes to MSI.dll between version
| 2.0.2600.1183 and 3.0.3790.2538 are necessary for 3.1? If so, MS needs
| to change the 3.1 install to allow for updating directly from 2.0.
|

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Windows Installer fails silently after you upgrade to Windows
> Installer 3.1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628/
>
>
>> If you install MSI 3.0 over MSI 2.0, MSI.DLL is updated from version
>> 2.0.2600.1183 to 3.0.3790.2538. However if you install MSI 3.1 over
>> MSI 2.0 (without first installing MSI 3.0), then MSI.DLL remains at
>> version 2.0.2600.1183 whereas all the other MSI files (msiexec.exe,
>> msihnd.dll, msimsg.dll & msisip.dll) all go to 3.1.4000.1823.
>>
>> Does anyone know if the changes to MSI.dll between version
>> 2.0.2600.1183 and 3.0.3790.2538 are necessary for 3.1? If so, MS
>> needs to change the 3.1 install to allow for updating directly from
>> 2.0.

Another uncaring and stupid cut n paste answer by Carey.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

TomV
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
kurttrail wrote:

>
> Another uncaring and stupid cut n paste answer by Carey.
>

And how would you characterize your response that has nothing whatsoever
to do with the OP's question?

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
TomV wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>>
>> Another uncaring and stupid cut n paste answer by Carey.
>>
>
> And how would you characterize your response that has nothing
> whatsoever to do with the OP's question?

One that points out an incorrect reply.

The Link he gave is about WI 3.1 v1, not v2, and has absolutely nothing
to do with the OPs problem.

So my answer was to point out to the OP not to waste his time figuring
out that Carey is full of it as usual.

So at least I can say my post was meant to help the OP, if not being to
able to answer his question. Too bad you can't say the same!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

TomV
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
kurttrail wrote:

>
> One that points out an incorrect reply.
>
> The Link he gave is about WI 3.1 v1, not v2, and has absolutely nothing
> to do with the OPs problem.
>
> So my answer was to point out to the OP not to waste his time figuring
> out that Carey is full of it as usual.
>
> So at least I can say my post was meant to help the OP, if not being to
> able to answer his question. Too bad you can't say the same!
>

I certainly wasn't able to infer from your initial post that this is
what your reply was intended to indicate to the OP. That's quite a leap
of faith on your part. If you felt you had a more helpful response,
then just post it and forget the finger pointing. I wasn't even
attempting to respond to the OP. I only post a reply when I'm confident
that the information I have is accurate, useful and addresses the issue.

Bye, bye, pal. You're added to the kill file.

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
TomV wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>>
>> One that points out an incorrect reply.
>>
>> The Link he gave is about WI 3.1 v1, not v2, and has absolutely
>> nothing to do with the OPs problem.
>>
>> So my answer was to point out to the OP not to waste his time
>> figuring out that Carey is full of it as usual.
>>
>> So at least I can say my post was meant to help the OP, if not being
>> to able to answer his question. Too bad you can't say the same!
>>
>
> I certainly wasn't able to infer from your initial post that this is
> what your reply was intended to indicate to the OP. That's quite a
> leap of faith on your part.

Maybe the OP isn't as dumb as you!

> If you felt you had a more helpful
> response, then just post it and forget the finger pointing. I wasn't
> even attempting to respond to the OP. I only post a reply when I'm
> confident that the information I have is accurate, useful and
> addresses the issue.

Mine was useful, in pointing out the uselessness on Carey's response.

>
> Bye, bye, pal. You're added to the kill file.

Thank God! Only little chicksh*ts need to runaway! And you ran away
faster than most!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

TomV
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
kurttrail wrote:
<snip>
>
>
>>Bye, bye, pal. You're added to the kill file.
>
>
> Thank God! Only little chicksh*ts need to runaway! And you ran away
> faster than most!
>

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not running away, just getting rid of
the trash.

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
TomV wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
> <snip>

Yep, typical USENET moron, snip the most pertinent part of the reply to
get to the nonsense!

You should add yourself to your block senders list too!

>>
>>
>>> Bye, bye, pal. You're added to the kill file.
>>
>>
>> Thank God! Only little chicksh*ts need to runaway! And you ran away
>> faster than most!
>>
>
> Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not running away, just getting rid of
> the trash.

Do you need help setting up your block senders list? I be glad to help.
Just ask! ;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Kelly
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
:o) You are terrible!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Vote: Bo

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:Opo7yOdXFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> TomV wrote:
>> kurttrail wrote:
>> <snip>
>
> Yep, typical USENET moron, snip the most pertinent part of the reply to
> get to the nonsense!
>
> You should add yourself to your block senders list too!
>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Bye, bye, pal. You're added to the kill file.
>>>
>>>
>>> Thank God! Only little chicksh*ts need to runaway! And you ran away
>>> faster than most!
>>>
>>
>> Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not running away, just getting rid of
>> the trash.
>
> Do you need help setting up your block senders list? I be glad to help.
> Just ask! ;-)
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Kelly wrote:
>> o) You are terrible!

Why yes I am! :)

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Steve N.
07-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Kelly wrote:
> :o) You are terrible!
>

Yeah, he sure is, but he's also usually right and funny as hell!

Steve

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-09-2005, 11:38 PM
ChezWhiz wrote:

> If you install MSI 3.0 over MSI 2.0, MSI.DLL is updated from version
> 2.0.2600.1183 to 3.0.3790.2538. However if you install MSI 3.1 over
> MSI 2.0 (without first installing MSI 3.0), then MSI.DLL remains at
> version 2.0.2600.1183 whereas all the other MSI files (msiexec.exe,
> msihnd.dll, msimsg.dll & msisip.dll) all go to 3.1.4000.1823.
>
> Does anyone know if the changes to MSI.dll between version
> 2.0.2600.1183 and 3.0.3790.2538 are necessary for 3.1? If so, MS needs
> to change the 3.1 install to allow for updating directly from 2.0.
>
Hi,

For starters, Windows installer 3.1 v2 updates msi.dll to
v3.1.4000.2435 (v3.1.4000.1823 was for 3.1 v1).

Also, v2.0.2600.1183 is not available for WinXP as far as I know, it
comes with Win2k SP4, while the latest 2.x version for WinXP comes with
SP1 for WinXP (v2.0.2600.1106).


You did do a reboot after the MSI 3.1 v2 installation before you
checked the version number?

I have now tested this upgrade scenario (from MSI 2.0 to 3.1 v1) on
both Win2k SP4 and WinXP SP1, with the following results for Msi.dll:

Win2k SP4:
From v2.0.2600.1183 to v3.1.4000.2435

WinXP SP1:
From v2.0.2600.1106 to v3.1.4000.2435




--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx


BUG?: MSI 3.1 v2 doesn't update MSI.DLL from MSI 2.0