Windows Installer Problems???



GRBU2
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I have a computer issue that I was wondering if anyone could help me with. I
have Windows XP SP2 and I’m having difficulty installing programs just
recently. I recently did the Microsoft update with Windows Installer 3.1 v2
and I’m wondering if that’s part of the reason. I was able to install a new
version of MSN Messenger (after a couple tries), but I haven’t been able to
completely install Adobe Reader 7.0 or 6.2. It installs almost completely
and then bogs down when "optimizing". So I do a “repair” and sometimes it
finishes installing and other times it doesn’t. However, I can never get to
the point of reading PDF files in Internet Explorer now. Is it something
with the new Windows Installer or Adobe Reader? Any help you can give would
be great because I’m not sure how well I’ll be able to install programs now.
Thanks a bunch!

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
GRBU2 wrote:
> I have a computer issue that I was wondering if anyone could help me
> with. I have Windows XP SP2 and I'm having difficulty installing
> programs just recently. I recently did the Microsoft update with
> Windows Installer 3.1 v2 and I'm wondering if that's part of the
> reason. I was able to install a new version of MSN Messenger (after
> a couple tries), but I haven't been able to completely install Adobe
> Reader 7.0 or 6.2. It installs almost completely and then bogs down
> when "optimizing". So I do a "repair" and sometimes it finishes
> installing and other times it doesn't. However, I can never get to
> the point of reading PDF files in Internet Explorer now. Is it
> something with the new Windows Installer or Adobe Reader? Any help
> you can give would be great because I'm not sure how well I'll be
> able to install programs now. Thanks a bunch!

Please try this experiment:
Uninstall the Update and Adobe Acrobat Reader, reboot, install Acrobat
Reader, and see what happens.

GRBU2
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I was thinking about that or just doing a system restore a few days back when
I didn't have an issue. I think the issue may be more with Adobe than
Windows Installer since I was able to install MSN Messenger. If I do the
system restore, that'll uninstall the update and have adobe reader working
supposedly - correct?

"T. Waters" wrote:

> Please try this experiment:
> Uninstall the Update and Adobe Acrobat Reader, reboot, install Acrobat
> Reader, and see what happens.
>
>
>

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes, your Adobe Reader ought to install smoothly after your System Restore.

GRBU2 wrote:
> I was thinking about that or just doing a system restore a few days
> back when I didn't have an issue. I think the issue may be more with
> Adobe than Windows Installer since I was able to install MSN
> Messenger. If I do the system restore, that'll uninstall the update
> and have adobe reader working supposedly - correct?
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
>> Please try this experiment:
>> Uninstall the Update and Adobe Acrobat Reader, reboot, install
>> Acrobat Reader, and see what happens.


Windows Installer Problems???