Passwords no longer work for any accounts!



Boatman
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
For no reason that we know of, the passwords used to access the accounts (1
administrator, 1 user) on my daughters Windows XP machine no longer work!
Since we cannot access an administrator account, we are pretty much stuck
with being able to make system and program changes we need to. What are our
options? Please help!

Boatman

ohaya
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Boatman wrote:
>
> For no reason that we know of, the passwords used to access the accounts (1
> administrator, 1 user) on my daughters Windows XP machine no longer work!
> Since we cannot access an administrator account, we are pretty much stuck
> with being able to make system and program changes we need to. What are our
> options? Please help!


Boatman,

Can you describe exactly what is happening in more detail?

When you attempt to login, is it saying "Loading preferences", then
right after that "Saving preferences", then back to the original login
page?

If that describes your problem, look back in this newsgroup to last
night, subject "HELP! Windows XP Home logs off immediately - copying
userinit.exe doesn't fix it".

Jim

Jonybrv
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
The profiles seem to have corrupted.

When you say Administrator account, did you mean the Adimistrator accout
listed in safe mode ? If you have not used it, try this to reset password.

You can still perform a repair install which should help you create new user
accounts using which later you can copy the documents from the old accounts.
--
Jonybrv


"Boatman" wrote:

> For no reason that we know of, the passwords used to access the accounts (1
> administrator, 1 user) on my daughters Windows XP machine no longer work!
> Since we cannot access an administrator account, we are pretty much stuck
> with being able to make system and program changes we need to. What are our
> options? Please help!
>
> Boatman
>
>
>

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Boatman wrote:

> For no reason that we know of, the passwords used to access the accounts (1
> administrator, 1 user) on my daughters Windows XP machine no longer work!
> Since we cannot access an administrator account, we are pretty much stuck
> with being able to make system and program changes we need to. What are our
> options? Please help!
>
> Boatman
>
>

Login to the built in administrator account. For XP pro at the welcome
screen do ctrl-alt-del twice then type in administrator as the account
name and type in the password that was set for it. For XP home boot
into safe mode and login to the built in administrator account. Assume
that password is blank. Once logged in go to Control Panel, user
accounts and change the password on the other two accounts.

Also see: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I think you mean the "Repair Console."

Jonybrv wrote:
> The profiles seem to have corrupted.
>
> When you say Administrator account, did you mean the Adimistrator
> accout listed in safe mode ? If you have not used it, try this to
> reset password.
>
> You can still perform a repair install which should help you create
> new user accounts using which later you can copy the documents from
> the old accounts.
>
>> For no reason that we know of, the passwords used to access the
>> accounts (1 administrator, 1 user) on my daughters Windows XP
>> machine no longer work! Since we cannot access an administrator
>> account, we are pretty much stuck with being able to make system and
>> program changes we need to. What are our options? Please help!
>>
>> Boatman

Boatman
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I will try what Rock recommends
this weekend.

Boatman

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:ecimj2PXFHA.2776@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Boatman wrote:
>
>> For no reason that we know of, the passwords used to access the accounts
>> (1 administrator, 1 user) on my daughters Windows XP machine no longer
>> work! Since we cannot access an administrator account, we are pretty much
>> stuck with being able to make system and program changes we need to. What
>> are our options? Please help!
>>
>> Boatman
>>
>>
>
> Login to the built in administrator account. For XP pro at the welcome
> screen do ctrl-alt-del twice then type in administrator as the account
> name and type in the password that was set for it. For XP home boot into
> safe mode and login to the built in administrator account. Assume that
> password is blank. Once logged in go to Control Panel, user accounts and
> change the password on the other two accounts.
>
> Also see: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>


Passwords no longer work for any accounts!