Processor Performance



MWC IT Dude
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
I have a computer that is acting up. I really think that it needs to be
grounded. When looking at the performance of the computer, we have found that
when the computer is idle it uses 100% of cpu. When the a program is running
the % decreases. It is a Sempron 2800 and we have 512 of ram. I know what
your thinking and it is not the system idle process that is changing. if you
click the tab to the right of processes it is performance and it will show a
green display telling you how much processor and how much ram is used. My
problem is that it seem to be backwards. Please help. How do I fix it?
--
MWC IT Dude

steve
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
this could describe any number of infections, is your system clean has it
been scanned for virus/trojan infestation etc ? I would do that as a first
step
--
there are no problems, just challenges


"MWC IT Dude" wrote:

> I have a computer that is acting up. I really think that it needs to be
> grounded. When looking at the performance of the computer, we have found that
> when the computer is idle it uses 100% of cpu. When the a program is running
> the % decreases. It is a Sempron 2800 and we have 512 of ram. I know what
> your thinking and it is not the system idle process that is changing. if you
> click the tab to the right of processes it is performance and it will show a
> green display telling you how much processor and how much ram is used. My
> problem is that it seem to be backwards. Please help. How do I fix it?
> --
> MWC IT Dude
>

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Perform the following, then visit www.pcpitstop.com
and run the test:

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"MWC IT Dude":

| I have a computer that is acting up. I really think that it needs to be
| grounded. When looking at the performance of the computer, we have found that
| when the computer is idle it uses 100% of cpu. When the a program is running
| the % decreases. It is a Sempron 2800 and we have 512 of ram. I know what
| your thinking and it is not the system idle process that is changing. if you
| click the tab to the right of processes it is performance and it will show a
| green display telling you how much processor and how much ram is used. My
| problem is that it seem to be backwards. Please help. How do I fix it?
| --
| MWC IT Dude

MWC IT Dude
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
i have run virus scan and nothing was found. we have SAV 9.0 server edidtion
that manages all our computer to keep them up to date and virus scan runs
every morning at 3:00 am. and i have run a number of spyware programs.
Microsoft anti-Spyware, spybot, adaware. i have also done disk cleanup and
defrag.

"steve" wrote:

> this could describe any number of infections, is your system clean has it
> been scanned for virus/trojan infestation etc ? I would do that as a first
> step
> --
> there are no problems, just challenges
>
>
> "MWC IT Dude" wrote:
>
> > I have a computer that is acting up. I really think that it needs to be
> > grounded. When looking at the performance of the computer, we have found that
> > when the computer is idle it uses 100% of cpu. When the a program is running
> > the % decreases. It is a Sempron 2800 and we have 512 of ram. I know what
> > your thinking and it is not the system idle process that is changing. if you
> > click the tab to the right of processes it is performance and it will show a
> > green display telling you how much processor and how much ram is used. My
> > problem is that it seem to be backwards. Please help. How do I fix it?
> > --
> > MWC IT Dude
> >

MWC IT Dude
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
i have done all of that and it stiff hasnt fixed my problem.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Perform the following, then visit www.pcpitstop.com
> and run the test:
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
>
> Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
> to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:
>
> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
>
> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
>
> HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "MWC IT Dude":
>
> | I have a computer that is acting up. I really think that it needs to be
> | grounded. When looking at the performance of the computer, we have found that
> | when the computer is idle it uses 100% of cpu. When the a program is running
> | the % decreases. It is a Sempron 2800 and we have 512 of ram. I know what
> | your thinking and it is not the system idle process that is changing. if you
> | click the tab to the right of processes it is performance and it will show a
> | green display telling you how much processor and how much ram is used. My
> | problem is that it seem to be backwards. Please help. How do I fix it?
> | --
> | MWC IT Dude
>
>

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Perform a "clean boot" then check your processor activity.
Also check for "unsigned drivers".

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

How To Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308514

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"MWC IT Dude" wrote:

| i have done all of that and it stiff hasnt fixed my problem.

MWC IT Dude
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
I tried the clean boot and the problem still exists. and i checked the device
propertied and drivers and nothing seem to be wrong

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Perform a "clean boot" then check your processor activity.
> Also check for "unsigned drivers".
>
> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
>
> How To Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308514
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "MWC IT Dude" wrote:
>
> | i have done all of that and it stiff hasnt fixed my problem.
>
>

Ron Martell
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
"MWC IT Dude" <joglesby(remove this)@midwestcabinet.com> wrote:

>I have a computer that is acting up. I really think that it needs to be
>grounded. When looking at the performance of the computer, we have found that
>when the computer is idle it uses 100% of cpu. When the a program is running
>the % decreases. It is a Sempron 2800 and we have 512 of ram. I know what
>your thinking and it is not the system idle process that is changing. if you
>click the tab to the right of processes it is performance and it will show a
>green display telling you how much processor and how much ram is used. My
>problem is that it seem to be backwards. Please help. How do I fix it?

Open Task Manager and go to the Processes tab.
Click twice on the CPU column header to sort the list of processes
into descending order by CPU usage.
What are the process that are using the most CPU time (=top of the
list)? That should help to identify the culprit(s).

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm


Processor Performance