Getting a new activiation code



Evinta
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi.

Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).

I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
on a new computer.

I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.

Thanks
Evinta

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Activations never run out. Install it and activate it.

Alias
"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi.
>
> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
> windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>
> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install
> XP
> on a new computer.
>
> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
> whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>
> Thanks
> Evinta

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your hardware.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
>
> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
> windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>
> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
> on a new computer.
>
> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
> whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>
> Thanks
> Evinta

Li'l Roberto
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:OgZqnVGXFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Activations never run out. Install it and activate it.

Depends on the licence Alias -OEM or Retail

OEM is tied to the original PC
Retail can be transfered to a new PC

rgds
Li'l Roberto

> Alias
> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
>> windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>
>> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
>> install XP
>> on a new computer.
>>
>> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy
>> a
>> whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Evinta
>
>

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
"Li'l Roberto" <whoisit@nospam.invalid.net> wrote in message
news:O81ouZGXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> news:OgZqnVGXFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Activations never run out. Install it and activate it.
>
> Depends on the licence Alias -OEM or Retail

Horsepucky. Neither OEM nor retail activations run out.
>
> OEM is tied to the original PC

And can be reinstalled and activated as much as you want. That said, MS says
one *may* install an OEM only on one machine but doesn't define what a one
machine is.

> Retail can be transfered to a new PC
>
> rgds
> Li'l Roberto

So *can* an OEM. Mother MS says you *may* not.

That said, the OP said he has an UPGRADE, which, of course, is retail so
your point was not only moot but misleading.

Alias
>
>> Alias
>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
>>> windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>
>>> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
>>> install XP
>>> on a new computer.
>>>
>>> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy
>>> a
>>> whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Evinta
>>
>>
>
>

Evinta
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
First off im a she.

Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
me) And they do run out, thanks for your help

Evinta
"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your hardware.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
> > Hi.
> >
> > Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
> > windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
> >
> > I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
> > computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
> > on a new computer.
> >
> > I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
> > whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Evinta
>

Li'l Roberto
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7C26F70C-FFC5-4F64-99FE-995F5718A1AD@microsoft.com...
>
> First off im a she.
>
> Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
> me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>> > Thanks
>> > Evinta

well good luck with it kiwi, get back here and let us know how you got
on.

rgds
Li'l Roberto

Steve N.
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Evinta wrote:
> First off im a she.
>
> Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
> me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>
> Evinta
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>
>>Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your hardware.
>>
>>--
>>Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>>Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>>http://www.dougknox.com
>>--------------------------------
>>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>>--------------------------------
>>Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>>"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
>>
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
>>>windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>
>>>I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>>computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
>>>on a new computer.
>>>
>>>I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
>>>whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Evinta
>>

BR549
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
They do not run out.

"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7C26F70C-FFC5-4F64-99FE-995F5718A1AD@microsoft.com...

First off im a she.

Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
me) And they do run out, thanks for your help

Evinta
"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your
> hardware.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
> > Hi.
> >
> > Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
> > windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
> >
> > I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
> > computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
> > install XP
> > on a new computer.
> >
> > I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy
> > a
> > whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Evinta
>

Yves Leclerc
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
But for OEM activations on name-brand PCs (IBM, HP and Dell), you need to
call MS for the activation. Internet activations have been turned off
because a lot of the XP software CD were being sold separately.


"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:uizGPiGXFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Li'l Roberto" <whoisit@nospam.invalid.net> wrote in message
> news:O81ouZGXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> news:OgZqnVGXFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Activations never run out. Install it and activate it.
>>
>> Depends on the licence Alias -OEM or Retail
>
> Horsepucky. Neither OEM nor retail activations run out.
>>
>> OEM is tied to the original PC
>
> And can be reinstalled and activated as much as you want. That said, MS
> says one *may* install an OEM only on one machine but doesn't define what
> a one machine is.
>
>> Retail can be transfered to a new PC
>>
>> rgds
>> Li'l Roberto
>
> So *can* an OEM. Mother MS says you *may* not.
>
> That said, the OP said he has an UPGRADE, which, of course, is retail so
> your point was not only moot but misleading.
>
> Alias
>>
>>> Alias
>>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>>
>>>> Hi.
>>>>
>>>> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy
>>>> of
>>>> windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>>
>>>> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>>> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
>>>> install XP
>>>> on a new computer.
>>>>
>>>> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to
>>>> buy a
>>>> whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>> Evinta
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Steve N.
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Evinta wrote:

> First off im a she.
>
> Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
> me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>
> Evinta

In reality there is no limit to the number of times it can be activated
on the same machine but there is a limit to how often it can be
activated over the internet within the 120 day period.

Even though Windows may report that it has been activated too many times
it is a misleading and incomplete message. What it should say is that
Windows has been activated too many times within the 120 day tracking
period for activation over the internet to work and that you must
activate by telephone.

Steve


> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>
>>Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your hardware.
>>
>>--
>>Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>>Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>>http://www.dougknox.com
>>--------------------------------
>>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>>--------------------------------
>>Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>>"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
>>
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
>>>windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>
>>>I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>>computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
>>>on a new computer.
>>>
>>>I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
>>>whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Evinta
>>

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
"Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
news:4p0je.4455$Ri4.2843@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Evinta wrote:
>> First off im a she. Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the
>> day (near midnight for me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>> Evinta

They don't "run out". Sometimes, however, you need to activate by phone.

Alias
>> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your
>>>hardware.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>>>Display\Security
>>>Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>>>http://www.dougknox.com
>>>--------------------------------
>>>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>>>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>>>--------------------------------
>>>Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>>Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>>>Hi.
>>>>Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
>>>>windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>>I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>>>computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
>>>>install XP on a new computer.
>>>>I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy
>>>>a whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>>Thanks Evinta
>>>
>

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
news:etZY2cHXFHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> But for OEM activations on name-brand PCs (IBM, HP and Dell), you need to
> call MS for the activation. Internet activations have been turned off
> because a lot of the XP software CD were being sold separately.

Oh, I thought we were talking about generic OEMs. I agree with you on the
altered OEMs.

Alias
>
>
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> news:uizGPiGXFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Li'l Roberto" <whoisit@nospam.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> news:O81ouZGXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>> news:OgZqnVGXFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>> Activations never run out. Install it and activate it.
>>>
>>> Depends on the licence Alias -OEM or Retail
>>
>> Horsepucky. Neither OEM nor retail activations run out.
>>>
>>> OEM is tied to the original PC
>>
>> And can be reinstalled and activated as much as you want. That said, MS
>> says one *may* install an OEM only on one machine but doesn't define what
>> a one machine is.
>>
>>> Retail can be transfered to a new PC
>>>
>>> rgds
>>> Li'l Roberto
>>
>> So *can* an OEM. Mother MS says you *may* not.
>>
>> That said, the OP said he has an UPGRADE, which, of course, is retail so
>> your point was not only moot but misleading.
>>
>> Alias
>>>
>>>> Alias
>>>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>>>
>>>>> Hi.
>>>>>
>>>>> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy
>>>>> of
>>>>> windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>>>
>>>>> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>>>> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
>>>>> install XP
>>>>> on a new computer.
>>>>>
>>>>> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to
>>>>> buy a
>>>>> whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks
>>>>> Evinta
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Steve N.
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Yves Leclerc wrote:
> But for OEM activations on name-brand PCs (IBM, HP and Dell), you need to
> call MS for the activation. Internet activations have been turned off
> because a lot of the XP software CD were being sold separately.
>
>
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> news:uizGPiGXFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>"Li'l Roberto" <whoisit@nospam.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>news:O81ouZGXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>>news:OgZqnVGXFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>>>Activations never run out. Install it and activate it.
>>>
>>>Depends on the licence Alias -OEM or Retail
>>
>>Horsepucky. Neither OEM nor retail activations run out.
>>
>>>OEM is tied to the original PC
>>
>>And can be reinstalled and activated as much as you want. That said, MS
>>says one *may* install an OEM only on one machine but doesn't define what
>>a one machine is.
>>
>>
>>>Retail can be transfered to a new PC
>>>
>>>rgds
>>>Li'l Roberto
>>
>>So *can* an OEM. Mother MS says you *may* not.
>>
>>That said, the OP said he has an UPGRADE, which, of course, is retail so
>>your point was not only moot but misleading.
>>
>>Alias
>>
>>>>Alias
>>>>"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Hi.
>>>>>
>>>>>Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy
>>>>>of
>>>>>windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>>>
>>>>>I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>>>>computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
>>>>>install XP
>>>>>on a new computer.
>>>>>
>>>>>I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to
>>>>>buy a
>>>>>whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>>>
>>>>>Thanks
>>>>>Evinta
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
>

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
I don't see that I made any reference to gender :-(

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C26F70C-FFC5-4F64-99FE-995F5718A1AD@microsoft.com...
>
> First off im a she.
>
> Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
> me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>
> Evinta
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your hardware.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
>> > windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>> >
>> > I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>> > computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
>> > on a new computer.
>> >
>> > I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
>> > whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Evinta
>>

NoSpam@aol.com
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Evinta,

I'm sorry that being a "she" is such major problem for you. It must be
because you are so very sensitive about it.


>Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>http://www.dougknox.com
>--------------------------------
>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>--------------------------------
>Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
>"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C26F70C-FFC5-4F64-99FE-995F5718A1AD@microsoft.com...
>>
>> First off im a she.
>>
>> Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
>> me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>>
>> Evinta
>> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your hardware.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>>> http://www.dougknox.com
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>>
>>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
>>> > Hi.
>>> >
>>> > Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
>>> > windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>> >
>>> > I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>> > computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
>>> > on a new computer.
>>> >
>>> > I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
>>> > whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>> >
>>> > Thanks
>>> > Evinta
>>>

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Alias wrote:
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> news:etZY2cHXFHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> But for OEM activations on name-brand PCs (IBM, HP and Dell), you
>> need to call MS for the activation. Internet activations have been
>> turned off because a lot of the XP software CD were being sold
>> separately.
>
> Oh, I thought we were talking about generic OEMs. I agree with you on
> the altered OEMs.
>
> Alias

Actually, with Dell OEM, MS activated over the internet after the
supposed deadline. Don't know if that is still the case.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Evinta wrote:
> First off im a she.
>
> Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight
> for me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>
> Evinta
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Activate by phone and if asked, explain that you've upgraded your
>> hardware.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>> Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A749B96C-4434-436B-9C53-A40F7802B646@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my
>>> copy of windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>>>
>>> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
>>> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
>>> install XP on a new computer.
>>>
>>> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want
>>> to buy a whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Evinta

"Additionally, reinstallation of Windows XP on the same or similar
hardware and a subsequent reactivation can be accomplished an infinite
number of times." -
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/1/6/21654b16-6c81-4d96-9390-5203cd43d07d/WindowsProductActivationTechnicalMarketBulletin.doc

What "similar hardware" means is up for debate, but "INFINITE" is not.

But copy-protection is tyranny, for more on this see:

http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Yves Leclerc wrote:

> But for OEM activations on name-brand PCs (IBM, HP and Dell), you need to
> call MS for the activation. Internet activations have been turned off
> because a lot of the XP software CD were being sold separately.
Hi,

Yes, but only if you have done something to the installation so the
BIOS "lock" activation doesn't work anymore (e.g. by running sysprep).

For normal installations on those name-brand PCs , no "external"
activation is necessary, because they will automatically do BIOS
"lock" activation.


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Yves Leclerc wrote:
>
>> But for OEM activations on name-brand PCs (IBM, HP and Dell), you
>> need to call MS for the activation. Internet activations have been
>> turned off because a lot of the XP software CD were being sold
>> separately.
> Hi,
>
> Yes, but only if you have done something to the installation so the
> BIOS "lock" activation doesn't work anymore (e.g. by running sysprep).
>
> For normal installations on those name-brand PCs , no "external"
> activation is necessary, because they will automatically do BIOS
> "lock" activation.

Yep, and if you slipstream SP2 into an OEM Installation CD, which breaks
the BIOS-Locking mechanism, all you have to do is phone MS and tell them
that, and you will be activated.

And so many people have done just that with the Dell CDs, that MS was
just activating DELL PKs over the internet, though I haven't tried it in
a while.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Evinta wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
> windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
>
> I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
> computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to install XP
> on a new computer.
>
> I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy a
> whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
>
> Thanks
> Evinta


Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable),
simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on and then
install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120 days since
you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most likely be
able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less,
you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

ms
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
They can correct that with surgery nowdays ;-)

<NoSpam@aol.com> wrote in message
news:4edp819eqijah0l88cokfegfgnbdaui7jp@4ax.com...
> Evinta,
>
> I'm sorry that being a "she" is such major problem for you. It must be
> because you are so very sensitive about it.
>
>

Winux P
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce,

"Here are the facts pertaining to activation:" (and EULA)

First, they came for those who transferred their OEM copy from an older
computer to a new one. For their personal use in their own homes.

....and you did nothing.

Then they came for those who installed their own retail version on another
computer in their homes for their own personal use.

....and you did nothing.

Then Microsoft finally released Windows Longhorn.

....AND THERE WAS NO ONE LEFT TO BACK YOU.

It's only going to get worse from here.

Be afraid, very afraid
http://www.fuoriditesta.biz/immagini/gates.jpg

This picture says it all
http://forums.dealofday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581

-Winux P.

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
news:OvVMqbNXFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: Evinta wrote:
: > Hi.
: >
: > Basicly i need to know if i can get a new activation code for my copy of
: > windows XP home edition SP1 (upgrade).
: >
: > I need it because the activations have run out since it was on a old
: > computer and now since i upgraded it i want to use the CD again to
install XP
: > on a new computer.
: >
: > I currenty live in NZ if you need to know that. I just don't want to buy
a
: > whole new Copy if i can just replace the code.
: >
: > Thanks
: > Evinta
:
:
: Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable),
: simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on and then
: install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120 days since
: you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most likely be
: able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less,
: you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.
:
: Here are the facts pertaining to activation:
:
: Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/
:
: Windows Product Activation (WPA)
: http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
:
:
:
: --
:
: Bruce Chambers
:
: Help us help you:
: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
:
: You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
: both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Winux P wrote:

..... Nothing at all original. Nor anything relavant, for that matter.
Typical amateur troll.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

Winux P
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
About as useful as your response, better being a troll than a fascist....

http://www.microscum.com/bruce/

-Winup P

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
news:Oy2vSyZXFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: Winux P wrote:
:
: .... Nothing at all original. Nor anything relavant, for that matter.
: Typical amateur troll.
:
:
: --
:
: Bruce Chambers
:
: Help us help you:
: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
:
: You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
: both at once. - RAH

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Winux P wrote:
>
> .... Nothing at all original. Nor anything relavant, for that matter.
> Typical amateur troll.

And since what you write about MS's EULA and PA is most MicroPropanda
you are just the Typical Sycophantic Troll.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Evinta
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
It worked.

Im using it now and i don't think i'll be using ME again because to me it
wasn't just cutting out for me.

Evinta

"Li'l Roberto" wrote:

> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:7C26F70C-FFC5-4F64-99FE-995F5718A1AD@microsoft.com...
> >
> > First off im a she.
> >
> > Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight for
> > me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
> >> > Thanks
> >> > Evinta
>
> well good luck with it kiwi, get back here and let us know how you got
> on.
>
> rgds
> Li'l Roberto
>
>
>
>
>

Li'l Roberto
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Good to hear it all came together OK, ME was MS's ugly child ;-)

rgds
Li'l Roberto


"Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6BBA7CB4-9C4B-444E-ADC6-DB7944C9A7A8@microsoft.com...
> It worked.
>
> Im using it now and i don't think i'll be using ME again because to me it
> wasn't just cutting out for me.
>
> Evinta
>
> "Li'l Roberto" wrote:
>
>> "Evinta" <Evinta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:7C26F70C-FFC5-4F64-99FE-995F5718A1AD@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > First off im a she.
>> >
>> > Second, i'll try reactivating via phone during the day (near midnight
>> > for
>> > me) And they do run out, thanks for your help
>> >> > Thanks
>> >> > Evinta
>>
>> well good luck with it kiwi, get back here and let us know how you
>> got
>> on.
>>
>> rgds
>> Li'l Roberto
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>


Getting a new activiation code