changing pictures from JPG to BMP



littledino
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can change
all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I am using
the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
Thank you

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
littledino wrote:
> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can change
> all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I am using
> the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
> Thank you

Bitmaps take up a lot of room too - if you want to batch convert image
files try Irfanview though

Kevin
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
jpg are always smaller than bmp. My advice is leave them as jpg. They take up
less space.

"andy smart" wrote:

> littledino wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can change
> > all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I am using
> > the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
> > Thank you
>
> Bitmaps take up a lot of room too - if you want to batch convert image
> files try Irfanview though
>

TripleEight
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
"littledino" <littledino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A4779FF3-987D-4A37-89A6-FB8B46DC91CD@microsoft.com...
>I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can change
> all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I am using
> the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
> Thank you

Other way round. Bitmaps (BMP) are uncompressed files and Jpegs (JPG) are
compressed files.

The easiest way to convert is to load up the BMP and then use the "Save as" from
the file menu to save as JPG or any other file type. This method is only good
for a few conversions, if you have tens or hundreds for images you should use a
batch converter which is usually available in professional image editors.

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
TripleEight wrote:
>
> "littledino" <littledino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A4779FF3-987D-4A37-89A6-FB8B46DC91CD@microsoft.com...
>
>> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can
>> change
>> all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I
>> am using
>> the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>> Thank you
>
>
> Other way round. Bitmaps (BMP) are uncompressed files and Jpegs (JPG)
> are compressed files.
>
> The easiest way to convert is to load up the BMP and then use the "Save
> as" from the file menu to save as JPG or any other file type. This
> method is only good for a few conversions, if you have tens or hundreds
> for images you should use a batch converter which is usually available
> in professional image editors.

I'd be lost without Irfanview for batch conversions - supports most
common file formats and is free.
http://www.irfanview.com/

TripleEight
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
"andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:d6f5h0$du7$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> TripleEight wrote:
>>
>> "littledino" <littledino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A4779FF3-987D-4A37-89A6-FB8B46DC91CD@microsoft.com...
>>
>>> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can
>>> change
>>> all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I
>>> am using
>>> the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>>> Thank you
>>
>>
>> Other way round. Bitmaps (BMP) are uncompressed files and Jpegs (JPG)
>> are compressed files.
>>
>> The easiest way to convert is to load up the BMP and then use the "Save
>> as" from the file menu to save as JPG or any other file type. This
>> method is only good for a few conversions, if you have tens or hundreds
>> for images you should use a batch converter which is usually available
>> in professional image editors.
>
> I'd be lost without Irfanview for batch conversions - supports most
> common file formats and is free.
> http://www.irfanview.com/

I rarely do batch conversions but when I do I use the one in Paint Shop Pro :)

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
TripleEight wrote:
>
> "andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:d6f5h0$du7$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
>
>> TripleEight wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> "littledino" <littledino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:A4779FF3-987D-4A37-89A6-FB8B46DC91CD@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>>> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can
>>>> change
>>>> all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I
>>>> am using
>>>> the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>>>> Thank you
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Other way round. Bitmaps (BMP) are uncompressed files and Jpegs (JPG)
>>> are compressed files.
>>>
>>> The easiest way to convert is to load up the BMP and then use the "Save
>>> as" from the file menu to save as JPG or any other file type. This
>>> method is only good for a few conversions, if you have tens or hundreds
>>> for images you should use a batch converter which is usually available
>>> in professional image editors.
>>
>>
>> I'd be lost without Irfanview for batch conversions - supports most
>> common file formats and is free.
>> http://www.irfanview.com/
>
>
> I rarely do batch conversions but when I do I use the one in Paint Shop
> Pro :)

Yep that's good too - but Irfanview is free for non-commerical use.
Doesn't do all the OTHER cool stuff that PSP or similar does though

Canopus
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
littledino on 18/05/2005 wrote:

> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
> can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
> of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
> Thank you

JPG files take up as much room as the compressing factor is set to. An
identical file saved in BMP would be much bigger. Look at the size of
your JPG file when it is closed, then open the JPG file in an image
editor and look at its properties. You should notice that the open
image is far bigger than the closed file as it has become uncompressed
and you are actually seeing a bit map. The open image is the size that
it would be if you saved it as BMP.

Just about any format is better than BMP for saving if file size is a
consideration, but, some formats are better than other formats when it
comes to loss of detail during compression. JPG under high compression
gives rise to obvious artifacts so you must judge the balance between
clarity and file size.

If you have lots of images taking up room, rather than using a format
under high compression and introducing loss, consider using a lossless
format such as TIF (without compression) and back up to CD considering
how cheap CDs are these days.

Rob

Miss Perspicacia Tick
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
littledino wrote:
> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
> can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
> of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
> Thank you

You haven't exactly engaged brain, now have you? You're of the opinion that
JPG (which is a compressed format) takes up *more* hard disk space than BMP
(which is uncompressed)?!

Suggest you lay off whatever it is you're smoking/drinking/popping...


--
In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Gunilla
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Rules of conduct

ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to
exchange technical information and expertise about Microsoft products.
Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your interactions.

Relevance to Topics: Please make sure that your postings in discussion
groups and chats are relevant to the subject at hand. It is normal for some
topics to drift from the stated subject. However, to ensure maximum benefit
for everyone, we encourage you to keep your postings as close to the subject
as possible.

Advertising/Solicitation: These communities were created as a forum for
providing peer-to-peer assistance on Microsoft products and services. We ask
that you refrain from posting advertisements or solicitations that do not
pertain directly to the intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat.

Confidentiality: Please keep in mind that our communities are public spaces,
so don't post anything that you don't want the world to see. Credit card
numbers, product keys, and other confidential information, including
anything covered under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), should not be
posted to a discussion group, chat, or other community.

OP...you know that you can file a complaint if you feel abused by her
words!? Yes, that is right.

"Quoted"
If anyone, would like to complain about any
user or posts on the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, they can feel free to
mail me directly or at usenet@microsoft.com.

John Eddy [MSFT]
Microsoft Newsgroups Administrator
"Unquote"

Gunilla


"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:rkHie.37972$a25.2018@fe06.highwinds-media.phx...
> littledino wrote:
>> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
>> can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
>> of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>> Thank you
>
> You haven't exactly engaged brain, now have you? You're of the opinion
> that JPG (which is a compressed format) takes up *more* hard disk space
> than BMP (which is uncompressed)?!
>
> Suggest you lay off whatever it is you're smoking/drinking/popping...
>
>
> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Gunilla wrote:
> Rules of conduct
>
> ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to
> exchange technical information and expertise about Microsoft products.
> Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your interactions.
>
> Relevance to Topics: Please make sure that your postings in discussion
> groups and chats are relevant to the subject at hand. It is normal for some
> topics to drift from the stated subject. However, to ensure maximum benefit
> for everyone, we encourage you to keep your postings as close to the subject
> as possible.
>
> Advertising/Solicitation: These communities were created as a forum for
> providing peer-to-peer assistance on Microsoft products and services. We ask
> that you refrain from posting advertisements or solicitations that do not
> pertain directly to the intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat.
>
> Confidentiality: Please keep in mind that our communities are public spaces,
> so don't post anything that you don't want the world to see. Credit card
> numbers, product keys, and other confidential information, including
> anything covered under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), should not be
> posted to a discussion group, chat, or other community.
>
> OP...you know that you can file a complaint if you feel abused by her
> words!? Yes, that is right.
>
> "Quoted"
> If anyone, would like to complain about any
> user or posts on the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, they can feel free to
> mail me directly or at usenet@microsoft.com.
>
> John Eddy [MSFT]
> Microsoft Newsgroups Administrator
> "Unquote"
>
> Gunilla
>
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:rkHie.37972$a25.2018@fe06.highwinds-media.phx...
>
>>littledino wrote:
>>
>>>I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
>>>can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
>>>of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>>>Thank you
>>
>>You haven't exactly engaged brain, now have you? You're of the opinion
>>that JPG (which is a compressed format) takes up *more* hard disk space
>>than BMP (which is uncompressed)?!
>>
>>Suggest you lay off whatever it is you're smoking/drinking/popping...
>>
>>
>>--
>>In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>
>
>

Where is this quoted from Gunilla - not disagreeing with the sentiments
just chasing up the original.

Ken Blake
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
In news:A4779FF3-987D-4A37-89A6-FB8B46DC91CD@microsoft.com,
littledino <littledino@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please,
> how i
> can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes
> alot
> of room.



You have it backwards. Bmp files are *bigger* than the equivalent
jpgs.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Gunilla wrote:
> Rules of conduct
>
> ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to
> exchange technical information and expertise about Microsoft products.
> Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your
> interactions.
> Relevance to Topics: Please make sure that your postings in discussion
> groups and chats are relevant to the subject at hand. It is normal
> for some topics to drift from the stated subject. However, to ensure
> maximum benefit for everyone, we encourage you to keep your postings
> as close to the subject as possible.
>
> Advertising/Solicitation: These communities were created as a forum
> for providing peer-to-peer assistance on Microsoft products and
> services. We ask that you refrain from posting advertisements or
> solicitations that do not pertain directly to the intended use and
> purpose of the newsgroup or chat.
> Confidentiality: Please keep in mind that our communities are public
> spaces, so don't post anything that you don't want the world to see.
> Credit card numbers, product keys, and other confidential
> information, including anything covered under a non-disclosure
> agreement (NDA), should not be posted to a discussion group, chat, or
> other community.
> OP...you know that you can file a complaint if you feel abused by her
> words!? Yes, that is right.
>
> "Quoted"
> If anyone, would like to complain about any
> user or posts on the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, they can feel
> free to mail me directly or at usenet@microsoft.com.
>
> John Eddy [MSFT]
> Microsoft Newsgroups Administrator
> "Unquote"
>
> Gunilla
>

I'd suggest you start using drugs and learn to chill.

Most ADULTS don't feel the need to be a tattletale. We've learned to
not feel abused by the mere words of other people.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Peter Foldes
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Having a bad day

--
Peter

Please reply to newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Please do not send email unless invited to do so
"Gunilla" <kakaomumsathotmaildotcom> wrote in message
news:O$ekL07WFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Rules of conduct
>
> ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to

littledino
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I didn't realize that so thanks for telling me. That was something i was told
and i didn't know better. Where can i find information regarding picture
formats?

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> littledino wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
> > can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
> > of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
> > Thank you
>
> You haven't exactly engaged brain, now have you? You're of the opinion that
> JPG (which is a compressed format) takes up *more* hard disk space than BMP
> (which is uncompressed)?!
>
> Suggest you lay off whatever it is you're smoking/drinking/popping...
>
>
> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
>
>

Wayne H. Wilhelm
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
FYI

When I take pictures with my 3 Megapixel Digital Camera, the JPG image
filesize is aprox. 1.4 Megabytes (BMP size would be 9 Megabytes).

If I open the JPG images using Paint Shop Pro vs. 5.0, I can use "Save As |
Options" to redo the JPG compression factor. A factor of 15 reduces the JPG
image storage size to under 500K.

Using a compression factor of 90, the JPG image storage size is reduced to
under 50K.

I just tried this using a picture of a Bleeding Hearts flower plant. I see
no difference. I've uploaded both copies to:

http://www.quadracalc.com/computers/pictures/hearts01.jpg (456 K)
http://www.quadracalc.com/comptuers/pictures/hearts02.jpg (42 K)

Remember, the original JPG 3 Megapixel image was aprox. 1.4 MB (sorry, I
goofed and "saved as" over it.)

I would caution though: Keep original copies (uncompressed) on a CD.
Should you ever need editing, edit the originals. Altough the two above look
identical, I haven't tried to compare editing capabilities of the images.

--
Cordially,
Wayne H. Wilhelm
Personal Web: http://www.quadracalc.com


"littledino" wrote:

> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i can change
> all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot of room. I am using
> the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
> Thank you

RA
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Go to Google and search on "picture formats".



littledino wrote:
> I didn't realize that so thanks for telling me. That was something i
> was told and i didn't know better. Where can i find information
> regarding picture formats?
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
>
>> littledino wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
>>> can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
>>> of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>>> Thank you
>>
>> You haven't exactly engaged brain, now have you? You're of the
>> opinion that JPG (which is a compressed format) takes up *more* hard
>> disk space than BMP (which is uncompressed)?!
>>
>> Suggest you lay off whatever it is you're smoking/drinking/popping...
>>
>>
>> --
>> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Gunilla
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
"andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:d6fmvo$knj$2@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> Gunilla wrote:
>> Rules of conduct
>>
>> ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to
>> exchange technical information and expertise about Microsoft products.
>> Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your interactions.
>>
<snipped>>
>> "Quoted"
>> If anyone, would like to complain about any
>> user or posts on the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, they can feel free to
>> mail me directly or at usenet@microsoft.com.
>>
>> John Eddy [MSFT]
>> Microsoft Newsgroups Administrator
>> "Unquote"
>>
>> Gunilla
>>
>>
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:rkHie.37972$a25.2018@fe06.highwinds-media.phx...
>>
>>>littledino wrote:
>>>
<snipped>
>>>In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>

> Where is this quoted from Gunilla - not disagreeing with the sentiments
> just chasing up the original.

The rules here.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

And here is the thread where I found the comment from John Eddy
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=John+Eddy+%2B+Miss+Perspicacia+Tick&dg=&cat=en_US_850c4b7a-113f-45f2-93ff-9d21e03b29f3&lang=en&cr=&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
but I realize it is an old post and might not apply to this date.
However....the OP who feel abused by anyone can use the "Contact us" by the
end of the very same webpage where the newsgroups arise.

Gunilla

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Gunilla wrote:

> The rules here.
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> And here is the thread where I found the comment from John Eddy
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=John+Eddy+%2B+Miss+Perspicacia+Tick&dg=&cat=en_US_850c4b7a-113f-45f2-93ff-9d21e03b29f3&lang=en&cr=&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
> but I realize it is an old post and might not apply to this date.
> However....the OP who feel abused by anyone can use the "Contact us"
> by the end of the very same webpage where the newsgroups arise.
>

Anyone that feels abused by mere words should get the hell off of the
USENET!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Gunilla
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i meddelandet
news:u3Ds397WFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Gunilla wrote:
>> Rules of conduct
>>
>> ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to
>> exchange technical information and expertise about Microsoft products.
>> Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your
>> interactions.
<snipped>
>> Gunilla
>>
>
> I'd suggest you start using drugs and learn to chill.

No drugs here, thank you!
>
> Most ADULTS don't feel the need to be a tattletale. We've learned to not
> feel abused by the mere words of other people.

How do you know that some people doesn't feel abused? Just put "Miss
Perpicacia Tick" in any search engine and you will see that many more than
you ever would imagine have comments about here nasty, rude and abusive
language.

Gunilla
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>

Gunilla
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
"Gunilla" <kakaomumsathotmaildotcom> skrev i meddelandet
news:evfdg28WFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i
> meddelandet news:u3Ds397WFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Gunilla wrote:
>>> Rules of conduct
>>>
>>> ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to
>>> exchange technical information and expertise about Microsoft products.
>>> Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your
>>> interactions.
> <snipped>
>>> Gunilla
>>>
>>
>> I'd suggest you start using drugs and learn to chill.
>
> No drugs here, thank you!
>>
>> Most ADULTS don't feel the need to be a tattletale. We've learned to not
>> feel abused by the mere words of other people.
>
> How do you know that some people doesn't feel abused? Just put "Miss
> Perpicacia Tick" in any search engine and you will see that many more than
> you ever would imagine have comments about here<--I mean "her") nasty,
> rude and abusive language.
> Gunilla
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>>
>
>

Rock
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Wayne H. Wilhelm wrote:

> FYI
>
> When I take pictures with my 3 Megapixel Digital Camera, the JPG image
> filesize is aprox. 1.4 Megabytes (BMP size would be 9 Megabytes).
>
> If I open the JPG images using Paint Shop Pro vs. 5.0, I can use "Save As |
> Options" to redo the JPG compression factor. A factor of 15 reduces the JPG
> image storage size to under 500K.
>
> Using a compression factor of 90, the JPG image storage size is reduced to
> under 50K.
>
> I just tried this using a picture of a Bleeding Hearts flower plant. I see
> no difference. I've uploaded both copies to:
>
> http://www.quadracalc.com/computers/pictures/hearts01.jpg (456 K)
> http://www.quadracalc.com/comptuers/pictures/hearts02.jpg (42 K)
>
> Remember, the original JPG 3 Megapixel image was aprox. 1.4 MB (sorry, I
> goofed and "saved as" over it.)
>
> I would caution though: Keep original copies (uncompressed) on a CD.
> Should you ever need editing, edit the originals. Altough the two above look
> identical, I haven't tried to compare editing capabilities of the images.
>

The second link doesn't work.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Gunilla wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i
> meddelandet news:u3Ds397WFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Gunilla wrote:
>>> Rules of conduct
>>>
>>> ATTENTION-->Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is
>>> to exchange technical information and expertise about Microsoft
>>> products. Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in
>>> your interactions.
> <snipped>
>>> Gunilla
>>>
>>
>> I'd suggest you start using drugs and learn to chill.
>
> No drugs here, thank you!

And no chillin' either.

>>
>> Most ADULTS don't feel the need to be a tattletale. We've learned
>> to not feel abused by the mere words of other people.
>
> How do you know that some people doesn't feel abused?

I'm sure that some are. I would suggest that they are those that want
everybody in the world to change for them.

Freedom of Speech is not about the freedom to say anything that no one
will differ with. It is about being able to deal with the speech that
you don't agree with.

> Just put "Miss
> Perpicacia Tick" in any search engine and you will see that many more
> than you ever would imagine have comments about here nasty, rude and
> abusive language.

Oh, you those that are adult enough to stand up to her? LOL!

Learn to stand up and fight your own battles. Don't cower and hide and
get MS to fight your battles for you.

Hell, even the OP didn't seem all that upset with her.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Gunilla
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i meddelandet
news:OtPu$E9WFHA.1468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Gunilla wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i
>> meddelandet news:u3Ds397WFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Gunilla wrote:
>>>> Rules of conduct
<Snipped even more>

>>>> Gunilla
>>>>
>>>
>>> I'd suggest you start using drugs and learn to chill.
>>
>> No drugs here, thank you!
>
> And no chillin' either.

Hehehe. Yeah...I can chill down a little and is because I feel amused by
your post(s). :-)) You have some kind of humor in your posts even if you
"also" can be rude sometimes but in a different way, at least from the posts
I have seen.
>
>>>
>>> Most ADULTS don't feel the need to be a tattletale. We've learned
>>> to not feel abused by the mere words of other people.
>>
>> How do you know that some people doesn't feel abused?
>
> I'm sure that some are. I would suggest that they are those that want
> everybody in the world to change for them.

Maybe some of them though but I guess that doesn't apply to all posters. Be
given a polite reminder to using search engines, or whatever advice someone
gives, is far more nicer and doesn't create a hostile reply, or feeling
inside.
>
> Freedom of Speech is not about the freedom to say anything that no one
> will differ with. It is about being able to deal with the speech that you
> don't agree with.

I know, I kind of agree and I guess I am just feeling sorry for all
"newbies" who come to these NG's for help, maybe some have been struggling
with their issue for a while, and yet they have to meet assumption that they
are stupid, lazy or whatever.
>
>> Just put "Miss
>> Perpicacia Tick" in any search engine and you will see that many more
>> than you ever would imagine have comments about here nasty, rude and
>> abusive language.
>
> Oh, you those that are adult enough to stand up to her? LOL!
>
> Learn to stand up and fight your own battles. Don't cower and hide and
> get MS to fight your battles for you.
>
> Hell, even the OP didn't seem all that upset with her.

Did he/she ever dare too?
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Gunilla wrote:

<snip>

> Did he/she ever dare too?

Below is the OP's reply to the Tick:

I didn't realize that so thanks for telling me. That was something i was
told
and i didn't know better. Where can i find information regarding picture
formats?

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> littledino wrote:
>> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
>> can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
>> of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>> Thank you
>
> You haven't exactly engaged brain, now have you? You're of the opinion
> that
> JPG (which is a compressed format) takes up more hard disk space than
> BMP
> (which is uncompressed)?!
>
> Suggest you lay off whatever it is you're smoking/drinking/popping...
>
>
> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Gunilla
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Oh gosh...I can't do anything right!! Further down....

"Gunilla" <kakaomumsathotmaildotcom> skrev i meddelandet
news:%23DeQAa9WFHA.160@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i
> meddelandet news:OtPu$E9WFHA.1468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Gunilla wrote:
>>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i
>>> meddelandet news:u3Ds397WFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>> Gunilla wrote:
>>>>> Rules of conduct
> <Snipped even more>
>
>>>>> Gunilla
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'd suggest you start using drugs and learn to chill.
>>>
>>> No drugs here, thank you!
>>
>> And no chillin' either.
>
> Hehehe. Yeah...I can chill down a little and is because I feel amused by
> your post(s). :-)) You have some kind of humor in your posts even if you
> "also" can be rude sometimes but in a different way, at least from the
> posts I have seen.
>>
>>>>
>>>> Most ADULTS don't feel the need to be a tattletale. We've learned
>>>> to not feel abused by the mere words of other people.
>>>
>>> How do you know that some people doesn't feel abused?
>>
>> I'm sure that some are. I would suggest that they are those that want
>> everybody in the world to change for them.
>
> Maybe some of them though but I guess that doesn't apply to all posters.
> Be given a polite reminder to using search engines, or whatever advice
> someone gives, is far more nicer and doesn't create a hostile reply, or
> feeling inside.
>>
>> Freedom of Speech is not about the freedom to say anything that no one
>> will differ with. It is about being able to deal with the speech that
>> you don't agree with.
>
> I know, I kind of agree and I guess I am just feeling sorry for all
> "newbies" who come to these NG's for help, maybe some have been struggling
> with their issue for a while, and yet they have to meet assumption that
> they are stupid, lazy or whatever.
>>
>>> Just put "Miss
>>> Perpicacia Tick" in any search engine and you will see that many more
>>> than you ever would imagine have comments about here nasty, rude and
>>> abusive language.
>>
>> Oh, you those that are adult enough to stand up to her? LOL!
>>
>> Learn to stand up and fight your own battles. Don't cower and hide and
>> get MS to fight your battles for you.
>>
>> Hell, even the OP didn't seem all that upset with her.
>
> Did he/she ever dare too?<---"to" I meant! Hehe.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>>
>
>

Gunilla
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Okay...thanks!

Gunilla

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> skrev i meddelandet
news:O52M4h9WFHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Gunilla wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Did he/she ever dare too?
>
> Below is the OP's reply to the Tick:
>
> I didn't realize that so thanks for telling me. That was something i was
> told
> and i didn't know better. Where can i find information regarding picture
> formats?
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
>
>> littledino wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded to XP and i would like to know, please, how i
>>> can change all my pictures from JPG to BMP being that JPG takes alot
>>> of room. I am using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
>>> Thank you
>>
>> You haven't exactly engaged brain, now have you? You're of the opinion
>> that
>> JPG (which is a compressed format) takes up more hard disk space than BMP
>> (which is uncompressed)?!
>>
>> Suggest you lay off whatever it is you're smoking/drinking/popping...
>>
>>
>> --
>> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
kurttrail wrote:
> Gunilla wrote:
>
>
>>The rules here.
>>http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>>
>>And here is the thread where I found the comment from John Eddy
>>http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=John+Eddy+%2B+Miss+Perspicacia+Tick&dg=&cat=en_US_850c4b7a-113f-45f2-93ff-9d21e03b29f3&lang=en&cr=&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
>>but I realize it is an old post and might not apply to this date.
>>However....the OP who feel abused by anyone can use the "Contact us"
>>by the end of the very same webpage where the newsgroups arise.
>>
>
>
> Anyone that feels abused by mere words should get the hell off of the
> USENET!
>
Why?

kurttrail
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
andy smart wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>> Gunilla wrote:
>>
>>
>>> The rules here.
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>>>
>>> And here is the thread where I found the comment from John Eddy
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=John+Eddy+%2B+Miss+Perspicacia+Tick&dg=&cat=en_US_850c4b7a-113f-45f2-93ff-9d21e03b29f3&lang=en&cr=&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
>>> but I realize it is an old post and might not apply to this date.
>>> However....the OP who feel abused by anyone can use the "Contact us"
>>> by the end of the very same webpage where the newsgroups arise.
>>>
>>
>>
>> Anyone that feels abused by mere words should get the hell off of the
>> USENET!
>>
> Why?

Same principle as, "Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Canopus
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Wayne H. Wilhelm on 18/05/2005 wrote:

> When I take pictures with my 3 Megapixel Digital Camera, the JPG
> image filesize is aprox. 1.4 Megabytes (BMP size would be 9
> Megabytes).
>
> If I open the JPG images using Paint Shop Pro vs. 5.0, I can use
> "Save As | Options" to redo the JPG compression factor. A factor of
> 15 reduces the JPG image storage size to under 500K.
>
> Using a compression factor of 90, the JPG image storage size is
> reduced to under 50K.
>
> I just tried this using a picture of a Bleeding Hearts flower plant.
> I see no difference. I've uploaded both copies to:
>
> http://www.quadracalc.com/computers/pictures/hearts01.jpg (456 K)
> http://www.quadracalc.com/comptuers/pictures/hearts02.jpg (42 K)
>
> Remember, the original JPG 3 Megapixel image was aprox. 1.4 MB
> (sorry, I goofed and "saved as" over it.)
>
> I would caution though: Keep original copies (uncompressed) on a CD.
> Should you ever need editing, edit the originals. Altough the two
> above look identical, I haven't tried to compare editing
> capabilities of the images.

Although this isn't a photography/image group I feel I must point out
that it is very bad practice to open then save a jpg over itself even
if it is saved at no compression. The mere act of opening and then
saving a jpg as another jpg introduces loss. Best practice is to save
the original jpg into a lossless format so as to edit it etc. and once
it has been saved as a lossless format do not touch the original JPG
again for anything other than opening, viewing and closing it, it is
your archive. Work with your saved lossless format and after editing
it save it again in a lossless format. If you then need a copy to mail
or put on the web you can then take the finished lossless format and
save it as jpg at the compression required for the job and after that
you could throw it away.

I often have to batch convert finished pspimage files to jpg to send to
the printers, but, think nothing of deleting them afterwards if I want
to save disk space.

Remember:
Get your original jpg files onto CD untouched as soon as possible.
Work with lossless format.
Save to jpg only when necessary to mail or put on web.

Rob

Wayne H. Wilhelm
07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
http://www.quadracalc.com/computers/pictures/hearts01.jpg (456 K)
http://www.quadracalc.com/computers/pictures/hearts02.jpg (42 K)

--
Cordially,
Wayne H. Wilhelm
Personal Web: http://www.quadracalc.com

Rock
07-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Wayne H. Wilhelm wrote:
> http://www.quadracalc.com/computers/pictures/hearts01.jpg (456 K)
> http://www.quadracalc.com/computers/pictures/hearts02.jpg (42 K)
>

I see noticeable differences. Whether they matter depends on the use
and user.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


changing pictures from JPG to BMP