I there a Program that I can check out a problem floppy with



PeterM
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I need to
recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a program that will
allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have Norton Works Premier and it
did not help. Any other hints would be appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win
XP Home

T. Waters
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
PeterM wrote:
> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I
> need to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a
> program that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have
> Norton Works Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be
> appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home

If the disk was created in Windows 98, it would be better read in another
machine running Win 98.

PeterM
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
I'll check on that in the morning, it may have happened that way........many
thanks...........Peter

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:ejER5Z2WFHA.3864@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> PeterM wrote:
>> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I
>> need to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a
>> program that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have
>> Norton Works Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be
>> appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home
>
> If the disk was created in Windows 98, it would be better read in another
> machine running Win 98.
>
>

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
How do you figure that? FAT is FAT, regardless of the OS. Unless the disk was compressed (not Zipped) under 98, it would make absolutely no difference.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message news:ejER5Z2WFHA.3864@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> PeterM wrote:
>> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I
>> need to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a
>> program that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have
>> Norton Works Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be
>> appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home
>
> If the disk was created in Windows 98, it would be better read in another
> machine running Win 98.
>
>

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
PeterM wrote:
> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I need
> to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a program
> that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have Norton Works
> Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be appreciated.
> .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home
PC Inspector File Recovery sometimes helps
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

PeterM
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I have noticed what T. Waters mentioned several times Doug, but I forgot,
several disk that were done or whatever you want to call it, on a Win 98
machine, only opened on a Win 98 machine. Go figure. I am a visit of that
fact...............Peter

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:un7PQh2WFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
How do you figure that? FAT is FAT, regardless of the OS. Unless the disk
was compressed (not Zipped) under 98, it would make absolutely no
difference.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:ejER5Z2WFHA.3864@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> PeterM wrote:
>> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I
>> need to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a
>> program that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have
>> Norton Works Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be
>> appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home
>
> If the disk was created in Windows 98, it would be better read in another
> machine running Win 98.
>
>

PeterM
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I forgot that I had that program, I never used it. It did a killer job, and
we got a 3 year history of file storage indexes back. I know I know, we
should have copied it to another location as well. Next time.......Thanks
for all the help you guys are so helpful, thanks again Andy for the
reminder........Peter
"andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:d6f8hd$f4d$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> PeterM wrote:
>> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I need
>> to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a program
>> that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have Norton Works
>> Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be appreciated.
>> .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home
> PC Inspector File Recovery sometimes helps
> http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
PeterM wrote:
> I forgot that I had that program, I never used it. It did a killer job,
> and we got a 3 year history of file storage indexes back. I know I know,
> we should have copied it to another location as well. Next
> time.......Thanks for all the help you guys are so helpful, thanks again
> Andy for the reminder........Peter
> "andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:d6f8hd$f4d$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
>
>> PeterM wrote:
>>
>>> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I need
>>> to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a program
>>> that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have Norton Works
>>> Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be appreciated.
>>> .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home
>>
>> PC Inspector File Recovery sometimes helps
>> http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
>
>
You're welcome :-)

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
If they were compressed with DriveSpace (or whatever it was called in 98) then you may well be screwed.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message news:BsydnQ7YgqSA0RbfRVn-1A@comcast.com...
>I have noticed what T. Waters mentioned several times Doug, but I forgot,
> several disk that were done or whatever you want to call it, on a Win 98
> machine, only opened on a Win 98 machine. Go figure. I am a visit of that
> fact...............Peter
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:un7PQh2WFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How do you figure that? FAT is FAT, regardless of the OS. Unless the disk
> was compressed (not Zipped) under 98, it would make absolutely no
> difference.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> news:ejER5Z2WFHA.3864@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> PeterM wrote:
>>> I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I
>>> need to recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a
>>> program that will allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have
>>> Norton Works Premier and it did not help. Any other hints would be
>>> appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win XP Home
>>
>> If the disk was created in Windows 98, it would be better read in another
>> machine running Win 98.
>>
>>
>

Steve N.
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

> How do you figure that? FAT is FAT, regardless of the OS. Unless
> the disk was compressed (not Zipped) under 98, it would make
> absolutely no difference.
>

Doug,

There actually is a problem with some older, preformatted diskettes that
is documented here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

" This problem occurs on disks that do not contain a media descriptor
byte in the BIOS parameter block (BPB) of the boot sector. Some older
preformatted floppy disks do not contain a media descriptor byte. Older
product disks may also not have the media descriptor byte.

The media descriptor indicates the type of medium currently in a drive.
With MS-DOS and Windows 95, you do not have to set the media descriptor
byte. Therefore this problem does not occur with these older operating
systems. "

The article does outline a workaround but involves using a disk editor.

I seem to recall that older Norton Utils used to catch the missing media
descriptor byte and offer to correct it, too.

I'm not certain but running scandisk in Win98/ME against the diskette
may also correct the problem, but I haven't got a diskette with the
missing MD byte to test that with.

Steve

Pavel
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
>>"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> >>news:uTXn1L8WFHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>If they were compressed with DriveSpace (or whatever it was called in 98)
>>then you may well be screwed.

Doug,

PeterM has resolved his problem but as far as DriveSpace, here is my
solution:

--

For the following to work, you will need a bootable diskette. DOS 6, Windows
95 or Windows98 formmated bootable diskette will do. If you do not have one,
you can download an image of such disk from
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm.



Can I open Drivespace with windows XP?

You can not but what you could do is create a bootable floppy that was
created with Win98. The floppy must contain DRVSPACE.BIN that is normally
placed there automatically with format /s. On the boot floppy create text
file called DRVSPACE.INI and insert following line in it:

ActivateDrive=P,B0


Assuming that your compressed disk is a floppy disk and you have one or two
floppy disk drives then the above
line will be correct. If your compressed drive is on hard disk or other
media then you need the change the drive letter from B to the corresponding
letter:

ActivateDrive=P,E0

Once booted, you can access your compressed drive normal ways. If the
compression used was Drivespace 2 then you can read/write to this drive. If
the compression used was Drivespace 3 then do not attempt to write to it.
The letter P in the above line represents the drive letter that will be
assigned to the noncompressed portion of the drive. If you already have
drive P then you should change it to any letter that is not in use.
The number after the source drive B0 represents the number found in the name
of the compressed image. So if the image name is DRVSPACE.000 then B0 is
used, if the name is DRVSPACE.003 then B3 must be used.

To access DriveSpace compressed floppy with only one floppy drive available,
after booting type B: <return>, you will be prompted to change the diskette.


--
Pavel

Ron Martell
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I need to
>recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a program that will
>allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have Norton Works Premier and it
>did not help. Any other hints would be appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win
>XP Home

Spinrite from Gibson Research (www.grc.com) is primarily a hard drive
repair/recovery utility but it will work on diskettes as well.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks for that information. Will keep it in mind.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23rJ91X9WFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>>"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> >>news:uTXn1L8WFHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>>If they were compressed with DriveSpace (or whatever it was called in 98)
>>>then you may well be screwed.
>
> Doug,
>
> PeterM has resolved his problem but as far as DriveSpace, here is my
> solution:
>
> --
>
> For the following to work, you will need a bootable diskette. DOS 6, Windows
> 95 or Windows98 formmated bootable diskette will do. If you do not have one,
> you can download an image of such disk from
> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm.
>
>
>
> Can I open Drivespace with windows XP?
>
> You can not but what you could do is create a bootable floppy that was
> created with Win98. The floppy must contain DRVSPACE.BIN that is normally
> placed there automatically with format /s. On the boot floppy create text
> file called DRVSPACE.INI and insert following line in it:
>
> ActivateDrive=P,B0
>
>
> Assuming that your compressed disk is a floppy disk and you have one or two
> floppy disk drives then the above
> line will be correct. If your compressed drive is on hard disk or other
> media then you need the change the drive letter from B to the corresponding
> letter:
>
> ActivateDrive=P,E0
>
> Once booted, you can access your compressed drive normal ways. If the
> compression used was Drivespace 2 then you can read/write to this drive. If
> the compression used was Drivespace 3 then do not attempt to write to it.
> The letter P in the above line represents the drive letter that will be
> assigned to the noncompressed portion of the drive. If you already have
> drive P then you should change it to any letter that is not in use.
> The number after the source drive B0 represents the number found in the name
> of the compressed image. So if the image name is DRVSPACE.000 then B0 is
> used, if the name is DRVSPACE.003 then B3 must be used.
>
> To access DriveSpace compressed floppy with only one floppy drive available,
> after booting type B: <return>, you will be prompted to change the diskette.
>
>
> --
> Pavel
>
>
>
>

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Interesting, Steve. But it may not apply here. The poster said the disc was created in Win98, which suffered the same problem. But thanks for the information.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message news:uvspgH9WFHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> How do you figure that? FAT is FAT, regardless of the OS. Unless
>> the disk was compressed (not Zipped) under 98, it would make
>> absolutely no difference.
>>
>
> Doug,
>
> There actually is a problem with some older, preformatted diskettes that
> is documented here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060
>
> " This problem occurs on disks that do not contain a media descriptor
> byte in the BIOS parameter block (BPB) of the boot sector. Some older
> preformatted floppy disks do not contain a media descriptor byte. Older
> product disks may also not have the media descriptor byte.
>
> The media descriptor indicates the type of medium currently in a drive.
> With MS-DOS and Windows 95, you do not have to set the media descriptor
> byte. Therefore this problem does not occur with these older operating
> systems. "
>
> The article does outline a workaround but involves using a disk editor.
>
> I seem to recall that older Norton Utils used to catch the missing media
> descriptor byte and offer to correct it, too.
>
> I'm not certain but running scandisk in Win98/ME against the diskette
> may also correct the problem, but I haven't got a diskette with the
> missing MD byte to test that with.
>
> Steve

Steve N.
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

> Interesting, Steve. But it may not apply here. The poster said the
> disc was created in Win98, which suffered the same problem. But
> thanks for the information.
>


Sorry, I missed that. Thanks for the correction Doug. Being a bit bleary
headed (running on sleep fumes) and multi-tasking doesn't always mix well.

Steve

CS
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:57:15 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a floppy disk from work that has a excel file on it, that I need to
>>recover. None of several drives read the disk. Is there a program that will
>>allow me to check the disk and repair it. I have Norton Works Premier and it
>>did not help. Any other hints would be appreciated. .....Peter I'm using Win
>>XP Home

>Spinrite from Gibson Research (www.grc.com) is primarily a hard drive
>repair/recovery utility but it will work on diskettes as well.

You're correct. Spinrite can repair and recover data from floppy
disks. However, that Excel file the OP is trying to recover better be
worth $89.00 US because that's how much the latest version (6.0) will
cost.

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
No problem :)

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message news:eUqWLK%23WFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> Interesting, Steve. But it may not apply here. The poster said the
>> disc was created in Win98, which suffered the same problem. But
>> thanks for the information.
>>
>
>
> Sorry, I missed that. Thanks for the correction Doug. Being a bit bleary
> headed (running on sleep fumes) and multi-tasking doesn't always mix well.
>
> Steve


I there a Program that I can check out a problem floppy with