Problem with internet properties



Sam Lightbourn
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using Windows
XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the problem?

matchstich
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
"Sam Lightbourn" wrote:

> In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
> internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using Windows
> XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the problem?

not sure if upgrade to to sp2 would help you, but i would get it anyway, if
just for the security up dates in it.

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Sam Lightbourn wrote:
> In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
> internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using
> Windows XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the
> problem?

Sam, I stll use SP1, and I do not have your problem.
Has it always been this way?
When you go to the Security tab, is there a "Custom Level" button?
If there is such a button, what happens when you click on it?

Sam Lightbourn
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
This just happened recently. The default window is highlighted but the
custom button is not.

"T. Waters" wrote:

> Sam Lightbourn wrote:
> > In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
> > internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using
> > Windows XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the
> > problem?
>
> Sam, I stll use SP1, and I do not have your problem.
> Has it always been this way?
> When you go to the Security tab, is there a "Custom Level" button?
> If there is such a button, what happens when you click on it?
>
>
>

WTC
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
"Sam Lightbourn" <SamLightbourn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:366D70C8-27ED-416B-A6A5-2FC062099F23@microsoft.com...
> In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
> internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using
> Windows
> XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the problem?


Is there a Security Tab? Are some functions Greyed out? Some more
information would help.

You may have some policy restrictions that are enforced. With some more
details, I may be able to help you.

--
William

Sam Lightbourn
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Sorry I didn't answer your question correctly. There is a custom level
button but it is grayed out so nothing happens when you click on it.

"T. Waters" wrote:

> Sam Lightbourn wrote:
> > In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
> > internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using
> > Windows XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the
> > problem?
>
> Sam, I stll use SP1, and I do not have your problem.
> Has it always been this way?
> When you go to the Security tab, is there a "Custom Level" button?
> If there is such a button, what happens when you click on it?
>
>
>

Sam Lightbourn
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
ok. In the Security Tab under Internet Properties, in the internet zone, the
security level setting is at medium, but now the default level and the custom
level are greyed out. If there is more info you need please let me know what
it is and I will get it for you. thanks

"WTC" wrote:

> "Sam Lightbourn" <SamLightbourn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:366D70C8-27ED-416B-A6A5-2FC062099F23@microsoft.com...
> > In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
> > internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using
> > Windows
> > XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the problem?
>
>
> Is there a Security Tab? Are some functions Greyed out? Some more
> information would help.
>
> You may have some policy restrictions that are enforced. With some more
> details, I may be able to help you.
>
> --
> William
>
>
>
>

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
You might want to take a look at the antivirus and/or antispyware
applications that are running on your computer. One of them may
have a feature that blocks this in order to prevent a
virus/worm/trojan or any other pest from lowering the security
level. If you have installed the Microsoft Antispyware Beta I'd
suggest starting your investigation there.

--
Nepatsfan
"Sam Lightbourn" <SamLightbourn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
news:366D70C8-27ED-416B-A6A5-2FC062099F23@microsoft.com...
> In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot
> customize my
> internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help.
> Using Windows
> XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the
> problem?

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Sam, I am glad to hear that this problem is of recent origin, as we have a
way out of this other than a lot of troubleshooting.
What I am thinking of is using the System Restore Wizard to revert your
settings to before this problem began. System Restore is reversible if for
any reason you do not like the result. Also note that when the Wizard is
completed, your computer will automatically restart, so save any data you
may have before you begin.
Go to Help and Support, and type in: System Restore Wizard.
Opt to run the Wizard, and follow the prompts to the page with a calendar on
it. Choose the appropriate date, and follow the prompts to the end.

Sam Lightbourn wrote:
> This just happened recently. The default window is highlighted but
> the custom button is not.
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
>> Sam Lightbourn wrote:
>>> In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize
>>> my internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help.
>>> Using Windows XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct
>>> the problem?
>>
>> Sam, I stll use SP1, and I do not have your problem.
>> Has it always been this way?
>> When you go to the Security tab, is there a "Custom Level" button?
>> If there is such a button, what happens when you click on it?

WTC
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
"Sam Lightbourn" <SamLightbourn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:66AC8799-480C-46DB-AC2B-139768B6EBC6@microsoft.com...

>
> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Sam Lightbourn" <SamLightbourn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:366D70C8-27ED-416B-A6A5-2FC062099F23@microsoft.com...
>> > In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize
>> > my
>> > internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help.
>> > Using
>> > Windows
>> > XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the problem?
>>
>>
>> Is there a Security Tab? Are some functions Greyed out? Some more
>> information would help.
>>
>> You may have some policy restrictions that are enforced. With some
>> more
>> details, I may be able to help you.
>>
> ok. In the Security Tab under Internet Properties, in the internet
> zone, the
> security level setting is at medium, but now the default level and the
> custom
> level are greyed out. If there is more info you need please let me
> know what
> it is and I will get it for you. thanks

Using the Registry navigate to this key:

[HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Internet
Settings]
The value may be present in this key as well
[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Internet
Settings]

Delete the Name if present or set the value to 0.

Security_options_edit

--
William

Sam Lightbourn
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Gentlemen:
Thank you for all your suggestions to help in this matter. I have upgraded
the system to sp2 it seemed to correct the problem. For how long I don't
know. I have had spysweeper on this computer since it was re-built and use
Norton Anti virus 2005. I will keep an eye on things and see how they
progress. I will also install the Microsoft Antispyware program see if this
will keep the problem from happening again.
Thanks...Sam

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> You might want to take a look at the antivirus and/or antispyware
> applications that are running on your computer. One of them may
> have a feature that blocks this in order to prevent a
> virus/worm/trojan or any other pest from lowering the security
> level. If you have installed the Microsoft Antispyware Beta I'd
> suggest starting your investigation there.
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "Sam Lightbourn" <SamLightbourn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message
> news:366D70C8-27ED-416B-A6A5-2FC062099F23@microsoft.com...
> > In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot
> > customize my
> > internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help.
> > Using Windows
> > XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the
> > problem?
>
>
>

PA Bear
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Spybot installed?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/24.html
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Sam Lightbourn wrote:
> In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
> internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using
> Windows XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the problem?

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
"Sites" button and "Custom Level" slider are grayed out in Internet
Options - Security tab?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/flags.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Sam Lightbourn" <SamLightbourn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BEF85A23-DDA9-4B64-BC9A-D331C0FD246F@microsoft.com...
> This just happened recently. The default window is highlighted but the
> custom button is not.
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
>> Sam Lightbourn wrote:
>> > In internet properties, under the security tab, I cannot customize my
>> > internet settings. Any idea why that is? thanks for the help. Using
>> > Windows XP sp1. Also if I upgrade to sp2 will this correct the
>> > problem?
>>
>> Sam, I stll use SP1, and I do not have your problem.
>> Has it always been this way?
>> When you go to the Security tab, is there a "Custom Level" button?
>> If there is such a button, what happens when you click on it?
>>
>>
>>


Problem with internet properties