wierd RESET behavior



tiamy
07-10-2005, 12:32 AM
I reset my system because I've just upgraded my AV. But when it did,
it will display an error asking me to start in Safe Mode (normal safe
mode, with networking and with command prompt), Last Known Good Config
and Start Windows Normally. Only "Safe
Mode" can get me through Windows. But when I choose the other 4 option,
it just return to that error screen and sometimes the Windows logo will
appear in less than a second and restarts (again). Also, when the PC
blacks out, the monitor will just turn off but the NUM Lock indicator
on my keyboard is still on. I need to press Reset in order to make it
boot.

What's the problem?

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:32 AM
tiamy wrote:

> I reset my system because I've just upgraded my AV. But when it did,
> it will display an error asking me to start in Safe Mode (normal safe
> mode, with networking and with command prompt), Last Known Good Config
> and Start Windows Normally. Only "Safe
> Mode" can get me through Windows. But when I choose the other 4 option,
> it just return to that error screen and sometimes the Windows logo will
> appear in less than a second and restarts (again). Also, when the PC
> blacks out, the monitor will just turn off but the NUM Lock indicator
> on my keyboard is still on. I need to press Reset in order to make it
> boot.
>
> What's the problem?
>

What do you mean by "I reset my system.."? Reset how?



--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:32 AM
I think your best bet is to undo the damage first.
Go into Safe Mode, and type "System Restore Wizard" into the box.
Choose to run the Wizard, and choose a date before you upgraded you A/V.
You computer will automatically restart when you fnish, so save any data
before you do this procedure.
Question: what A/V did you have, and what did you upgrade to? Thanks.

tiamy wrote:
> I reset my system because I've just upgraded my AV. But when it did,
> it will display an error asking me to start in Safe Mode (normal safe
> mode, with networking and with command prompt), Last Known Good Config
> and Start Windows Normally. Only "Safe
> Mode" can get me through Windows. But when I choose the other 4
> option, it just return to that error screen and sometimes the Windows
> logo will appear in less than a second and restarts (again). Also,
> when the PC blacks out, the monitor will just turn off but the NUM
> Lock indicator on my keyboard is still on. I need to press Reset in
> order to make it boot.
>
> What's the problem?

tiamy
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
I reset it properly by pressing Start button>Turn Off Computer>Restart

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:34 AM
tiamy wrote:

> I reset it properly by pressing Start button>Turn Off Computer>Restart
>

Ok that's not a reset, that's just restarting the computer. So let me
understand this. You made some upgrade to the AV installed on the
system. What AV is that and how did you do an upgrade?

In the meantime try a system restore. Boot up in safe mode. Click on
Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.

Choose restore my computer to an earlier time, Click next, then click on
a date with a restore point right before the problem occurred. Click
next and let it restore. See if that helps.

Btw when replying to a post it's important to quote the pertinent parts
of what you are replying to. Otherwise someone might not know the
context of the message.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

tiamy
07-10-2005, 12:35 AM
I upgraded Avast online. I don't think its an AV upgrade problem
because my PCc restarts randomly. I also noticed that the red LED on
the CPU always blink. I've done system restore and Startup/Recovery
settings in System Properties many times. None of them worked. I saw on
other posts that it could be caused by CPU overheating or faulty power
supply. What do you think?


Rock wrote:
> tiamy wrote:
>
> > I reset it properly by pressing Start button>Turn Off
Computer>Restart
> >
>
> Ok that's not a reset, that's just restarting the computer. So let
me
> understand this. You made some upgrade to the AV installed on the
> system. What AV is that and how did you do an upgrade?
>
> In the meantime try a system restore. Boot up in safe mode. Click
on
> Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
>
> Choose restore my computer to an earlier time, Click next, then click
on
> a date with a restore point right before the problem occurred. Click

> next and let it restore. See if that helps.
>
> Btw when replying to a post it's important to quote the pertinent
parts
> of what you are replying to. Otherwise someone might not know the
> context of the message.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
tiamy wrote:

> I upgraded Avast online. I don't think its an AV upgrade problem
> because my PCc restarts randomly. I also noticed that the red LED on
> the CPU always blink. I've done system restore and Startup/Recovery
> settings in System Properties many times. None of them worked. I saw on
> other posts that it could be caused by CPU overheating or faulty power
> supply. What do you think?
>
>
> Rock wrote:
>
>>tiamy wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I reset it properly by pressing Start button>Turn Off
>
> Computer>Restart
>
>>Ok that's not a reset, that's just restarting the computer. So let
>
> me
>
>>understand this. You made some upgrade to the AV installed on the
>>system. What AV is that and how did you do an upgrade?
>>
>>In the meantime try a system restore. Boot up in safe mode. Click
>
> on
>
>>Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
>>
>>Choose restore my computer to an earlier time, Click next, then click
>
> on
>
>>a date with a restore point right before the problem occurred. Click
>
>
>>next and let it restore. See if that helps.
>>
>>Btw when replying to a post it's important to quote the pertinent
>
> parts
>
>>of what you are replying to. Otherwise someone might not know the
>>context of the message.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
>

It could be that it is coincidental the problems occurring after the AV
update. In general random restarts are due to hardware problems or a
driver problem. First set it so the computer does not automatically
restart. Right click on My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Startup
and Recovery Settings. Untic the "Automatically restart" box under
System failure. Next time the computer restarts it may go to a blue
screen with an error message, known as a BSOD. If this happens copy the
message down verbatim and post it back here.

Things to check for hardware problems are:

1. Overheating. Open the case, blow out the dust with compressed air,
clean all fans. Make sure all fans all running.

2. Test the memory with two memory testing programs, memtest86+ from
http://www.memtest.org/ and the diagnostic tool from Microsoft,
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

3. Check the hard drive. Download a drive diagnostic utility from the
drive manufacturer's web site. This will make a bootable floppy or CD
and the tests are run from there.

4. To test the power supply swap it out with a known good one.

If all this seems a bit much for you, you could take it to a reputable
computer repair shop. Is the computer still under warranty?


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


wierd RESET behavior