Excessive e-mail



Terry
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
people I don't know. How do I stop that?
Thanks. Terry

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Hi Terry,

Create filters to automatically delete it, or use "block senders". Once they
have your email address, most will ignore requests to remove it from their
lists.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Terry" <tredmunds(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:OUvl$vhWFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry
>

Andrew Murray
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
only 30?? try 150 a day and you should start to worry.

Try Mailwasher. It's not a full featured mail reader, but does help to
filter out the spam from the real email using rules, and 'friends list" and
"blacklist".

www.mailwasher.net.

or try blocking the sender using the method specific to your mail reader.

There would be other spam blockers around - Norton have such a product.
Else search on Google.


"Terry" <tredmunds(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:OUvl$vhWFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry
>

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
What to do with spam
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/options.mspx

Help keep spam out of your inbox
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/fightspam.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Terry" wrote:

| I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
| people I don't know. How do I stop that?
| Thanks. Terry



---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 05/16/2005
Tested on: 5/16/2005 8:44:30 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Jim Donovan
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
"Terry" <tredmunds(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:OUvl$vhWFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry
>
Might be easier for you to call your ISP too see if you can have more then
one email address, if so then set up a new email and delete the old one,
pass this new email to trusted friends only, if you want to use an email
address for subscriptions on the web or even for newsgroups try creating one
from Hotmail or Yahoo that way any junk or spam will be filtered out by MSN
and Yahoo.

Luck

Jim

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Have you ever heard of spam? You are getting it. You can get a handle on it
with a program like MailWasher.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Terry" <tredmunds(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:OUvl$vhWFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry
>

uggabugga
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
We use AT&T at work and some users get 500 unwanted emails a day. I use
Verizon DSL at home and I've never even received one unsolicited email. At
least for now, Verizon is doing a good job and AT&T is the worst.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"Terry" wrote:

> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry
>
>
>

N. Miller
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:42:40 +0800, Andrew Murray wrote:

> Try Mailwasher.

Until MW removes the abominable "fake bounce" feature as a user option, it
is a flawed product.

--
Norman
~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Leythos
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
In article <OUvl$vhWFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Terry" <tredmunds
(remove this)@optonline.net> says...
> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry

In the last 15 days we've rejected 8382 of 12006 connections, and of the
ones that were not rejected, 60% were marked/processed as spam.

30 is almost nothing in the grand scheme.

--
--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Bounce only works if the e-mail address is valid. Most of the e-mail
addresses used by the spammers are crap. They go nowhere, so how can you
bounce to noplace? If you look at the e-mail address and it looks like crap,
don't even try. You DO have to do a little bit of work to use the program
correctly!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:168dw1e0z9sc3$.dlg@discussions.microsoft.com...
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:42:40 +0800, Andrew Murray wrote:
>
>> Try Mailwasher.
>
> Until MW removes the abominable "fake bounce" feature as a user option, it
> is a flawed product.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Terry wrote:
> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry
>
>


While it's not possible to completely eliminate spam (unsolicited
commercial email), there are some precautions and steps you can take to
minimize it's impact:

1) Never, ever post your real email address to publicly accessible
forums or newsgroups, such as this one. For years now, spammers have
been using software utilities to scan such places to harvest email
addresses. It's a simple matter to disguise your posted email address
so that these software "bots" can't obtain anything useful. For
example, insert some obviously bogus characters or words into your reply
address, for example: "name@NOSPAMisp.com."

2) Never, ever reply to any spam you receive, even to "unsubscribe" or
"remove" yourself from the spammers' address lists; you'll only compound
the problem. If spammers had any intention of honoring the your desire
not to receive spam, they wouldn't have become spammers in the first
place. When you reply to a spammer, all you're doing is confirming that
he/she has a valid, marketable email address.

3) Be especially leery of any offers from websites for free software,
services, information, etc, that require your email address, or that
require your email address so you can "login" to access the offered
service and/or information. Many such sites are supplementing their
income by collecting addresses to sell to the spammers. For instance,
subscribing to CNN.COM's Breaking News Service will garner you a lot of
additional spam. (Of course, not all such sites have under-handed
motives; it's a judgment call. If the offer seems "too good to be
true," it's most likely a scam.)

4) DO forward any and all spam, with complete headers, to the
originating ISP with a complaint. Not all ISPs will make an effort to
shut down the spammers, but many will. One tool that makes forwarding
such complaints fairly simple is SpamCop (http://spamcop.net).

4) Another useful tool is MailWasher (http://www.mailwasher.net). This
utility allows you to preview your email before downloading it from the
server. Spammers can even be blacklisted, so that any future emails
from them will be automatically deleted from the server.

5) Within Outlook Express or whatever other email client application
you use, add any spammers to your Blocked Senders list, so the their
messages are automatically deleted from the server without being
downloaded to your PC.




--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

Ted Zieglar
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
All good recommendations, Bruce. With regard to 'previewing' mail, I
understand that if I have an unopened message in my Inbox that I suspect is
spam, if I look inside by checking the message's properties (from File >
Properties > Details > Message Source), this will not trigger a read receipt
or execute any code that may be in the message body. Is this correct?

Ted Zieglar

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
news:OLj2QRoWFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Terry wrote:
>> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies
>> & people I don't know. How do I stop that?
>> Thanks. Terry
>
>
> While it's not possible to completely eliminate spam (unsolicited
> commercial email), there are some precautions and steps you can take to
> minimize it's impact:
>
> 1) Never, ever post your real email address to publicly accessible forums
> or newsgroups, such as this one. For years now, spammers have been using
> software utilities to scan such places to harvest email addresses. It's a
> simple matter to disguise your posted email address so that these software
> "bots" can't obtain anything useful. For example, insert some obviously
> bogus characters or words into your reply address, for example:
> "name@NOSPAMisp.com."
>
> 2) Never, ever reply to any spam you receive, even to "unsubscribe" or
> "remove" yourself from the spammers' address lists; you'll only compound
> the problem. If spammers had any intention of honoring the your desire
> not to receive spam, they wouldn't have become spammers in the first
> place. When you reply to a spammer, all you're doing is confirming that
> he/she has a valid, marketable email address.
>
> 3) Be especially leery of any offers from websites for free software,
> services, information, etc, that require your email address, or that
> require your email address so you can "login" to access the offered
> service and/or information. Many such sites are supplementing their
> income by collecting addresses to sell to the spammers. For instance,
> subscribing to CNN.COM's Breaking News Service will garner you a lot of
> additional spam. (Of course, not all such sites have under-handed
> motives; it's a judgment call. If the offer seems "too good to be true,"
> it's most likely a scam.)
>
> 4) DO forward any and all spam, with complete headers, to the originating
> ISP with a complaint. Not all ISPs will make an effort to shut down the
> spammers, but many will. One tool that makes forwarding such complaints
> fairly simple is SpamCop (http://spamcop.net).
>
> 4) Another useful tool is MailWasher (http://www.mailwasher.net). This
> utility allows you to preview your email before downloading it from the
> server. Spammers can even be blacklisted, so that any future emails from
> them will be automatically deleted from the server.
>
> 5) Within Outlook Express or whatever other email client application you
> use, add any spammers to your Blocked Senders list, so the their messages
> are automatically deleted from the server without being downloaded to your
> PC.
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Ted Zieglar wrote:
> All good recommendations, Bruce. With regard to 'previewing' mail, I
> understand that if I have an unopened message in my Inbox that I suspect
> is spam, if I look inside by checking the message's properties (from
> File > Properties > Details > Message Source), this will not trigger a
> read receipt or execute any code that may be in the message body. Is
> this correct?
>
> Ted Zieglar
>


Well, it certainly won't execute any code, and I doubt that it would
trigger a read-receipt, but I've not tested that - I never allow
read-receipts to be sent.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

Ted Zieglar
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Good news. Thanks.

Ted Zieglar

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
news:uDvlZjoWFHA.628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>> All good recommendations, Bruce. With regard to 'previewing' mail, I
>> understand that if I have an unopened message in my Inbox that I suspect
>> is spam, if I look inside by checking the message's properties (from File
>> > Properties > Details > Message Source), this will not trigger a read
>> receipt or execute any code that may be in the message body. Is this
>> correct?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>
>
> Well, it certainly won't execute any code, and I doubt that it would
> trigger a read-receipt, but I've not tested that - I never allow
> read-receipts to be sent.
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH

NoStop
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Leythos wrote:

> In article <OUvl$vhWFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Terry" <tredmunds
> (remove this)@optonline.net> says...
>> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies
>> & people I don't know. How do I stop that?
>> Thanks. Terry
>
> In the last 15 days we've rejected 8382 of 12006 connections, and of the
> ones that were not rejected, 60% were marked/processed as spam.
>
> 30 is almost nothing in the grand scheme.
>
No kidding. One of my host providers that hosts one of my websites is
getting 6000 spam emails per hour going through their mail server. The Net
is getting bogged down with this sh*t. It's everyones responsibility to
learn about spam and how to stop encouraging it. One good way to start is
to STOP using HTML formatted email messaging. Email was never designed to
be formatted like that and it just encourages spammers when they find
through feedback that people actually look at their spam.

--
Is Firefox still safer than IE?
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/050512/#story1

DevilsPGD
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
In message <OLj2QRoWFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl> Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
>> Thanks. Terry
>>
>>
>
>
> While it's not possible to completely eliminate spam (unsolicited
>commercial email), there are some precautions and steps you can take to
>minimize it's impact:
>
>1) Never, ever post your real email address to publicly accessible
>forums or newsgroups, such as this one. For years now, spammers have
>been using software utilities to scan such places to harvest email
>addresses. It's a simple matter to disguise your posted email address
>so that these software "bots" can't obtain anything useful. For
>example, insert some obviously bogus characters or words into your reply
>address, for example: "name@NOSPAMisp.com."

That is an extremely bad suggestion -- Unless you own NOSPAMisp.com, you
don't have authorization to use that domain.

If you want to obfusiticate your email address, add a .invalid TLD to
make sure that your spam doesn't get addressed to someone else.


--
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Plato
07-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Terry wrote:
>
> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?

Dont give out your real email address on websites or anyplace but your
friends. Use a disposable email address for such. They are free. When
they get polluted, diss them.








--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

MusikRanger
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Block the sender by highlighting the email, not opening it. Then click on the
Message box up in the title bar. A dropdown will come down and you'll see a
"block sender" option. Click on that...then it will be all future ones from
that person will be blocked. It also deletes the email but sends it to your
"deleted" email box. Open the "deleted" folder highlight the email...hold the
shift key and then hit the delete key and you'll get a dialog box asking you
if you really want to delete it. Click "yes". Then it is erased from your
hard drive without ever opening it. You can do virtually the same thing in
your "in" box. Stuff you don't know anything about....highlight it, hold down
the shift key, and then push the delete key..and the same dialog box will
come up again confirming that you want to delete it, and zap...it's gone. You
don't have to open it. It works ....I do it all the time.

"Terry" wrote:

> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry
>
>
>


Excessive e-mail