Stopping those prompts whenever I insert a CD



Chigongman
07-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and check
"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing, including
not bother asking me any more.

I finally got tired of that and went into the Properties for the drive, and
under the AutoPlay tab I went through every line and chose "Select an option
to perform" and then "Take no action" for every item in the list (I had to
hit OK to exit after each selection to get it to take before going back in to
do the next, but now they all have that selected).

No luck, though. It still asks me every time I insert a CD.

I would like to be able to still have it auto-launch program setup routines
that are on the CD, but that's it, though I'm willing to even forfeit that it
I have to in order to get this annoying behavior to stop.

How do I achieve this?

Thanks!

Jay

Thorsten Matzner
07-10-2005, 12:28 AM
"Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
>usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
>insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and check
>"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing, including
>not bother asking me any more.

Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
TwakUI is available from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.

--
(tm)

Peter Foldes
07-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Have you tried in the CD\Properties\Auto Play to set it with the dropdown
arrow to Blank CD

--
Peter

Please reply to newsgroup for the benefit of others.

"Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3546C782-53BC-41DA-9758-3AB73EC51CFA@microsoft.com...
> Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
> usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
> insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and check
> "Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing,
including
> not bother asking me any more.
>
> I finally got tired of that and went into the Properties for the drive,
and
> under the AutoPlay tab I went through every line and chose "Select an
option
> to perform" and then "Take no action" for every item in the list (I had to
> hit OK to exit after each selection to get it to take before going back in
to
> do the next, but now they all have that selected).
>
> No luck, though. It still asks me every time I insert a CD.
>
> I would like to be able to still have it auto-launch program setup
routines
> that are on the CD, but that's it, though I'm willing to even forfeit that
it
> I have to in order to get this annoying behavior to stop.
>
> How do I achieve this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jay
>

Peter Foldes
07-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Thorsten

I think the OP said he still would like the Auto Play but not that Prompt.

--
Peter

Please reply to newsgroup for the benefit of others.

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:ufOis9UWFHA.2448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
> >usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
> >insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and
check
> >"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing,
including
> >not bother asking me any more.
>
> Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
> TwakUI is available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
>
> --
> (tm)

Chigongman
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Have you tried in the CD\Properties\Auto Play to set it with the dropdown
> arrow to Blank CD
>

I'm sure that choice in the dropdown strictly addresses the question of how
it will handle a blank CD. And so far, it apparently hasn't managed to keep
my instruction to "Take no action" in that case, either!






> --
> Peter
>
> Please reply to newsgroup for the benefit of others.
>
> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3546C782-53BC-41DA-9758-3AB73EC51CFA@microsoft.com...
> > Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
> > usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
> > insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and check
> > "Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing,
> including
> > not bother asking me any more.
> >
> > I finally got tired of that and went into the Properties for the drive,
> and
> > under the AutoPlay tab I went through every line and chose "Select an
> option
> > to perform" and then "Take no action" for every item in the list (I had to
> > hit OK to exit after each selection to get it to take before going back in
> to
> > do the next, but now they all have that selected).
> >
> > No luck, though. It still asks me every time I insert a CD.
> >
> > I would like to be able to still have it auto-launch program setup
> routines
> > that are on the CD, but that's it, though I'm willing to even forfeit that
> it
> > I have to in order to get this annoying behavior to stop.
> >
> > How do I achieve this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jay
> >
>
>
>

Chigongman
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
> >usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
> >insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and check
> >"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing, including
> >not bother asking me any more.
>
> Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
> TwakUI is available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
>
> --
> (tm)
>

Okay, I'm about to give up.

By the way, I'm very sure the problem is a bug in XP - it is not keeping the
choices I'm making in AutoPlay and some items revert back to Prompt when I
left it saying Take No Action.

Anyway, I'm ready to turn off AutoPlay altogether if that's what I have to
do. This is not a tolerable situation. Sometimes I have burning programs,
including backup software, that is ready for a blank CD, and suddenly that
prompt window pops up and can cause problems.

Is there really no way within XP itself to just tell it to stop doing
anything when you insert a CD?

Are those PowerToys really stable and reliable? I've got a business system
here I just spent two months getting configured, and we anticipate a great
deal of rapid business growth that will be relying on this computer for quite
some time to come. I simply cannot afford to take any risks whatsoever!

On the other hand, I do want to disable AutoPlay… and that Alt-Tab
Replacement look pretty useful, too.

But ONLY if it’s really risk-free.

Thanks!

Jay

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
"Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:40ED3CD3-EC89-4947-8B53-793F0B796FE1@microsoft.com...
> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>
>> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
>> >usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
>> >insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and
>> >check
>> >"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing,
>> >including
>> >not bother asking me any more.
>>
>> Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
>> TwakUI is available from
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
>>
>> --
>> (tm)
>>
>
> Okay, I'm about to give up.
>
> By the way, I'm very sure the problem is a bug in XP - it is not keeping
> the
> choices I'm making in AutoPlay and some items revert back to Prompt when I
> left it saying Take No Action.
>
> Anyway, I'm ready to turn off AutoPlay altogether if that's what I have to
> do. This is not a tolerable situation. Sometimes I have burning programs,
> including backup software, that is ready for a blank CD, and suddenly that
> prompt window pops up and can cause problems.
>
> Is there really no way within XP itself to just tell it to stop doing
> anything when you insert a CD?
>
> Are those PowerToys really stable and reliable? I've got a business system
> here I just spent two months getting configured, and we anticipate a great
> deal of rapid business growth that will be relying on this computer for
> quite
> some time to come. I simply cannot afford to take any risks whatsoever!
>
> On the other hand, I do want to disable AutoPlay? and that Alt-Tab
> Replacement look pretty useful, too.
>
> But ONLY if it?Ts really risk-free.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jay

Put the CD in the CDROM. Wait. The pop up appears. Kill it. Go on with your
business.

Alias
>

Chigongman
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
"Alias" wrote:

>
> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:40ED3CD3-EC89-4947-8B53-793F0B796FE1@microsoft.com...
> > "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
> >
> >> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
> >> >usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
> >> >insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and
> >> >check
> >> >"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing,
> >> >including
> >> >not bother asking me any more.
> >>
> >> Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
> >> TwakUI is available from
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
> >>
> >> --
> >> (tm)
> >>
> >
> > Okay, I'm about to give up.
> >
> > By the way, I'm very sure the problem is a bug in XP - it is not keeping
> > the
> > choices I'm making in AutoPlay and some items revert back to Prompt when I
> > left it saying Take No Action.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm ready to turn off AutoPlay altogether if that's what I have to
> > do. This is not a tolerable situation. Sometimes I have burning programs,
> > including backup software, that is ready for a blank CD, and suddenly that
> > prompt window pops up and can cause problems.
> >
> > Is there really no way within XP itself to just tell it to stop doing
> > anything when you insert a CD?
> >
> > Are those PowerToys really stable and reliable? I've got a business system
> > here I just spent two months getting configured, and we anticipate a great
> > deal of rapid business growth that will be relying on this computer for
> > quite
> > some time to come. I simply cannot afford to take any risks whatsoever!
> >
> > On the other hand, I do want to disable AutoPlayâ?¦ and that Alt-Tab
> > Replacement look pretty useful, too.
> >
> > But ONLY if itâ?Ts really risk-free.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jay

Alias wrote (5/20/05):

> Put the CD in the CDROM. Wait. The pop up appears. Kill it. Go on with your
> business.
>
> Alias

That's the kind of advice I'd expect from a company member who isn't
comfortable saying, "Yes, it's a known issue" -- and then offering advice for
workarounds.

I'm not convinced that this pop-up prompting is universally harmless. The
backup software, for instance, "grabs" the CD drive at times and wants to
hold onto it, especially during preparation for disaster recovery operations.

Besides, it's really annoying to keep seeing that window and not be able to
stop it. It takes up valuable time over and over and over again.

Jay

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
"Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:67773431-D146-4ED4-B669-517B37A2C0AD@microsoft.com...
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>>
>> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:40ED3CD3-EC89-4947-8B53-793F0B796FE1@microsoft.com...
>> > "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>> >
>> >> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> >Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has,
>> >> >Windows
>> >> >usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do
>> >> >whenever I
>> >> >insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and
>> >> >check
>> >> >"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing,
>> >> >including
>> >> >not bother asking me any more.
>> >>
>> >> Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
>> >> TwakUI is available from
>> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> (tm)
>> >>
>> >
>> > Okay, I'm about to give up.
>> >
>> > By the way, I'm very sure the problem is a bug in XP - it is not
>> > keeping
>> > the
>> > choices I'm making in AutoPlay and some items revert back to Prompt
>> > when I
>> > left it saying Take No Action.
>> >
>> > Anyway, I'm ready to turn off AutoPlay altogether if that's what I have
>> > to
>> > do. This is not a tolerable situation. Sometimes I have burning
>> > programs,
>> > including backup software, that is ready for a blank CD, and suddenly
>> > that
>> > prompt window pops up and can cause problems.
>> >
>> > Is there really no way within XP itself to just tell it to stop doing
>> > anything when you insert a CD?
>> >
>> > Are those PowerToys really stable and reliable? I've got a business
>> > system
>> > here I just spent two months getting configured, and we anticipate a
>> > great
>> > deal of rapid business growth that will be relying on this computer for
>> > quite
>> > some time to come. I simply cannot afford to take any risks whatsoever!
>> >
>> > On the other hand, I do want to disable AutoPlayâ?¦ and that Alt-Tab
>> > Replacement look pretty useful, too.
>> >
>> > But ONLY if itâ?Ts really risk-free.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Jay
>
> Alias wrote (5/20/05):
>
>> Put the CD in the CDROM. Wait. The pop up appears. Kill it. Go on with
>> your
>> business.
>>
>> Alias
>
> That's the kind of advice I'd expect from a company member who isn't
> comfortable saying, "Yes, it's a known issue" -- and then offering advice
> for
> workarounds.
>
> I'm not convinced that this pop-up prompting is universally harmless. The
> backup software, for instance, "grabs" the CD drive at times and wants to
> hold onto it, especially during preparation for disaster recovery
> operations.
>
> Besides, it's really annoying to keep seeing that window and not be able
> to
> stop it. It takes up valuable time over and over and over again.
>
> Jay

Works for me. If you don't like it, write your own OS and STFU and stop
whining.

Alias
>

Chigongman
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
> >usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
> >insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and check
> >"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing, including
> >not bother asking me any more.
>
> Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
> TwakUI is available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
>
> --
> (tm)
>

That was fun.

Now... any grown-ups care to offer any thoughts? THAT would be appreciated.
:-)

Thanks,

Jay

Alias
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
"Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:88363DF3-E9B4-41D8-893E-085D012DE36D@microsoft.com...
> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>
>> "Chigongman" <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Whenever I insert a CD, no matter what kind of content it has, Windows
>> >usually pops up that annoying box asking what I want it to do whenever I
>> >insert this particular type of CD. I always say "Take no action" and
>> >check
>> >"Always do that" so it will hopefully get the hint and do nothing,
>> >including
>> >not bother asking me any more.
>>
>> Disable AutoPlay in TweakUI > My Computer > AutoPlay > Types.
>> TwakUI is available from
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
>>
>> --
>> (tm)
>>
>
> That was fun.
>
> Now... any grown-ups care to offer any thoughts? THAT would be
> appreciated.
> :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

You've been given good suggestions. If you don't like them, that's your
problem, your supercilious manner notwithstanding.

Alias
>

frodo@theshire.org
07-10-2005, 12:36 AM
use tweak ui, uncheck both entries under TYPES, and uncheck the drive
itself under DRIVES. Yes, it's safe to use tweakui. Its only bug is in
the explorer | customizations | folders to rememeber, it spells the reg
key incorrectly and thus has no effect.

ALSO, you probably need to set the Shell Hardware Detection SERVICE to
startuptype: disabled to completely get rid of all insert notifications.

Chigongman
07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> use tweak ui, uncheck both entries under TYPES, and uncheck the drive
> itself under DRIVES. Yes, it's safe to use tweakui. Its only bug is in
> the explorer | customizations | folders to rememeber, it spells the reg
> key incorrectly and thus has no effect.
>
> ALSO, you probably need to set the Shell Hardware Detection SERVICE to
> startuptype: disabled to completely get rid of all insert notifications.
>

I appreciate that advice.

It's starting to sound a bit radical to achieve my goal. Isn't disabling
Shell Hardware Detection SERVICE > startuptype: likely to disable other
features that may matter?

What do you think?

(I hope you don't mind my seeking second opinions or clarifications. I've
learned a lot of headaches can be avoided that way and new ideas do actually
come up that way when dealing with a forum, espeically when you're not yet
familar with the people posting. You never know WHO OR WHAT you're getting...
as my experience here clearly shows. I have a business system to maintain.
I'm not playing games.)

Reaffirmations and addtional thoughts ... uh, from mature people who
actually have something to contribute, like you did, frodo ... are greatly
appreciated!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Jay

frodo@theshire.org
07-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Chigongman <Chigongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> It's starting to sound a bit radical to achieve my goal. Isn't disabling
> Shell Hardware Detection SERVICE > startuptype: likely to disable other
> features that may matter?

not in my experience, I have it disabled and all works just fine.
If you have a DVD drive, it'll display as a CD-ROM drive in explorer, but
it still works exactly as before, no loss in dvd capability.


I personally HATE autoplay, especially when putting in a commercial CD
that just plunges right into the setup/installer. All I want to do is
LOOK at the CD contents, not run the damn installer! [I know, hold down
shift and autoplay will not go off for that insert - but i'm forgetful).

One thing I have NOT found a solution for is the fact that a CD w/ an
autoplay.inf file in the root will cause AUTOPLAY to be the default action
if you double click its icon; therefore, even w/ autoplay completely
disabled, if you do the "normal"/instinctual thing to look at the disk, ie
double click its icon, it'll still auto-play! Arg.....


Stopping those prompts whenever I insert a CD