Windows XP Starter Edition: attention, Mr. Bill Gates



Al Smith
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
about Starter Edition since its inception.

Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
Pay attention, now.

Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows
Starter Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped
down version of Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who
complains about Windows bloat would have flocked to the stores to
buy it. Everyone who needs a second copy of Windows on their
second computer would buy it. Parents would buy it for their kids.
People would buy it to run on older systems that have less resources.

Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.

Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
no one in the world will want to use a copy at any price, or even
for free. What would have been an enormous new source of revenue
becomes an embarrassment, a sad joke. Do you think the poor folk
in India are using Starter Edition? No, they are using pirated
editions of XP Pro, just as they always have. You gave them *zero*
incentive to change.

My final remarks concerning Windows Starter Edition, Mr. Gates:
dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
This time I will have to agree with you guys on this foolish move!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
news:sASge.12122$Ph4.412387@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story saying that
> the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or Athlon computers. It has
> been deliberately crippled not to run on high-end machines. This merely
> confirms what has been obvious about Starter Edition since its inception.
>
> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates. Pay
> attention, now.
>
> Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows Starter
> Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped down version of
> Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who complains about Windows
> bloat would have flocked to the stores to buy it. Everyone who needs a
> second copy of Windows on their second computer would buy it. Parents
> would buy it for their kids. People would buy it to run on older systems
> that have less resources.
>
> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In fact, it
> shoots off all its toes one by one.
>
> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that no one in
> the world will want to use a copy at any price, or even for free. What
> would have been an enormous new source of revenue becomes an
> embarrassment, a sad joke. Do you think the poor folk in India are using
> Starter Edition? No, they are using pirated editions of XP Pro, just as
> they always have. You gave them *zero* incentive to change.
>
> My final remarks concerning Windows Starter Edition, Mr. Gates:
> dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Shenan Stanley
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Richard Urban wrote:
> This time I will have to agree with you guys on this foolish move!

Al Smith wrote
> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or Athlon
> computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on high-end
> machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious about Starter
> Edition since its inception.
> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
> Pay attention, now.
>
> Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows
> Starter Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped
> down version of Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who
> complains about Windows bloat would have flocked to the stores to
> buy it. Everyone who needs a second copy of Windows on their second
> computer would buy it. Parents would buy it for their kids. People
> would buy it to run on older systems that have less resources.
>
> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>
> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that no
> one in the world will want to use a copy at any price, or even for
> free. What would have been an enormous new source of revenue becomes
> an embarrassment, a sad joke. Do you think the poor folk in India
> are using Starter Edition? No, they are using pirated editions of XP
> Pro, just as they always have. You gave them *zero* incentive to
> change.
> My final remarks concerning Windows Starter Edition, Mr. Gates:
> dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

I'm with-holding any definitive opinion at this point - as I have just
started researching it. However, I would like to point to a few sites with
relevant information..

Windows XP Starter Edition:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_starter_edition.asp

Windows XP Starter Edition Fact Sheet:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/08-10winxpstarterfs.asp

What You Need to Know About Windows XP Starter Edition
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/44971/44971.html

Now you may be thinking "Well, that is horrid and useless as an OS!"
I agree.

Ability to run only three programs at once, 128MB MAXIMUM RAM, 40GB MAXIMUM
HDD space and only for "lower-end" processors.
I wouldn't use it. Counter-pointing myself - I wouldn't use Windows XP Home
at work... or Windows 9x/ME for that matter.. So is it really that I am
looking at this from my narrowed scope of usefulness? Or is it genuinely
worthless?

I don't live or work in the countries where this version of Windows XP is
being distributed - so I cannot judge the way they take such things or how
the piracy rate in these places is affected because of this, if at all. My
gut tells me most people who were pirating before will pirate now. So if
that was the only reason for the release (I don't believe it is) - bad move,
no doubt. The prices I saw.. ($30) - How much is that to someone that only
has a celeron 400MHz with a 6GB hard drive and 64MB of RAM and lives in the
target countries..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Al Smith wrote:
> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>
> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
> Pay attention, now.
>
> Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows
> Starter Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped
> down version of Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who
> complains about Windows bloat would have flocked to the stores to
> buy it. Everyone who needs a second copy of Windows on their
> second computer would buy it. Parents would buy it for their kids.
> People would buy it to run on older systems that have less resources.
>
> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>
> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
> no one in the world will want to use a copy at any price, or even
> for free. What would have been an enormous new source of revenue
> becomes an embarrassment, a sad joke. Do you think the poor folk
> in India are using Starter Edition? No, they are using pirated
> editions of XP Pro, just as they always have. You gave them *zero*
> incentive to change.
>
> My final remarks concerning Windows Starter Edition, Mr. Gates:
> dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Big opportunity missed. But MS, over the last five years or so, seems
to be doing everything it can to move as many people as possible off of
Windows as soon as there is a viable alternative OS.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall, and MS's fall is gonna be
nuclear, when a viable OS for the masses hits the market!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
"However, XP Starter Edition will not be made available as a standalone
product. Instead, it will only be bundled with new PCs that are localized to
the markets Microsoft is targeting."
Source: Shenan's link #1:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_starter_edition.asp

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> This time I will have to agree with you guys on this foolish move!
>
> Al Smith wrote
>> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
>> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or Athlon
>> computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on high-end
>> machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious about Starter
>> Edition since its inception.
>> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
>> Pay attention, now.
>>
>> Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows
>> Starter Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped
>> down version of Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who
>> complains about Windows bloat would have flocked to the stores to
>> buy it. Everyone who needs a second copy of Windows on their second
>> computer would buy it. Parents would buy it for their kids. People
>> would buy it to run on older systems that have less resources.
>>
>> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
>> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>>
>> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that no
>> one in the world will want to use a copy at any price, or even for
>> free. What would have been an enormous new source of revenue becomes
>> an embarrassment, a sad joke. Do you think the poor folk in India
>> are using Starter Edition? No, they are using pirated editions of XP
>> Pro, just as they always have. You gave them *zero* incentive to
>> change.
>> My final remarks concerning Windows Starter Edition, Mr. Gates:
>> dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.
>
> I'm with-holding any definitive opinion at this point - as I have just
> started researching it. However, I would like to point to a few
> sites with relevant information..
>
> Windows XP Starter Edition:
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_starter_edition.asp
>
> Windows XP Starter Edition Fact Sheet:
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/08-10winxpstarterfs.asp
>
> What You Need to Know About Windows XP Starter Edition
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/44971/44971.html
>
> Now you may be thinking "Well, that is horrid and useless as an OS!"
> I agree.
>
> Ability to run only three programs at once, 128MB MAXIMUM RAM, 40GB
> MAXIMUM HDD space and only for "lower-end" processors.
> I wouldn't use it. Counter-pointing myself - I wouldn't use Windows
> XP Home at work... or Windows 9x/ME for that matter.. So is it
> really that I am looking at this from my narrowed scope of
> usefulness? Or is it genuinely worthless?
>
> I don't live or work in the countries where this version of Windows
> XP is being distributed - so I cannot judge the way they take such
> things or how the piracy rate in these places is affected because of
> this, if at all. My gut tells me most people who were pirating
> before will pirate now. So if that was the only reason for the
> release (I don't believe it is) - bad move, no doubt. The prices I
> saw.. ($30) - How much is that to someone that only has a celeron
> 400MHz with a 6GB hard drive and 64MB of RAM and lives in the target
> countries..
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

NoStop
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Al Smith wrote:

> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>
> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
> Pay attention, now.
>
> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>
> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that

MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they crippled
XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP Pro has. In fact,
there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to even have a HOME version.
They could have just provided XP (Pro), lowered the price and sold just
that one product.

Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its idea of
"innovation".

http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html



--

`,,`,,`,,``,,`
Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html

NoStop
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
kurttrail wrote:

> Big opportunity missed. But MS, over the last five years or so, seems
> to be doing everything it can to move as many people as possible off of
> Windows as soon as there is a viable alternative OS.
>
> The bigger they are, the harder they fall, and MS's fall is gonna be
> nuclear, when a viable OS for the masses hits the market!
>
Yah, yah ... yawn ... broken record. The OS is here and has been for some
time. Tell me what you do with your computer that I cannot do with mine?
Just what do you use your computer for that makes it so terribly wed to
Windoze? I'd like to see your list of just what apps YOU MUST run on that
box of yours that only Windoze can run for you. Other than all the virus
and malware protection, which isn't required in Linux.

Seems like you spend most of your time in this newsgroup. Knode is a far
more capable newsreader than is OE.

Here's a list (although unfortunately a bit dated) of what's generally
available for Windoze and their Linux equivalents:

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

Like I said -dated. Lots more great multimedia stuff available now that
blows away anything available for Windoze - and free, btw.

--

`,,`,,`,,``,,`
Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
NoStop wrote:
> Al Smith wrote:
>
>> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
>> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
>> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
>> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
>> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>>
>> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
>> Pay attention, now.
>>
>> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
>> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>>
>> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
>
> MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they
> crippled XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP Pro
> has. In fact, there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to even have
> a HOME version. They could have just provided XP (Pro), lowered the
> price and sold just that one product.
>
> Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its
> idea of "innovation".
>
> http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html

The article you cite is awesome.
Please continue to post the link. Every Windows user ought to know the
facts.

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
NoStop wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> Big opportunity missed. But MS, over the last five years or so,
>> seems to be doing everything it can to move as many people as
>> possible off of Windows as soon as there is a viable alternative OS.
>>
>> The bigger they are, the harder they fall, and MS's fall is gonna be
>> nuclear, when a viable OS for the masses hits the market!
>>
> Yah, yah ... yawn ... broken record.

LOL! Thanks for the warning! If you know you are a broken record, why
to you keep going anyway?

> The OS is here and has been for
> some time.

Unfortunately, it is mostly a server OS and a OS for hobbyists. It
ain't ready for the average user, that has quite an investment in
software for the Windows platform. Or for those that don't know there
is a command line in Windows, let alone what to do with it. And Linux
is still too tied to it's command line.

> Tell me what you do with your computer that I cannot do
> with mine?

Watch HDTV with my ATI HDTV Wonder.

Run the most of the games and software that I've bought over the last
decade.

> Just what do you use your computer for that makes it so
> terribly wed to Windoze?

Dude, Linux builds that are put on CD will not even boot to the desktop
even with the hardware detection set to minimal on my PC.

> I'd like to see your list of just what apps
> YOU MUST run on that box of yours that only Windoze can run for you.
> Other than all the virus and malware protection, which isn't required
> in Linux.

Yet.

As a server OS where it is a major player Linux is more often hacked the
Windows Servers.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39116229,00.htm

> Seems like you spend most of your time in this newsgroup. Knode is a
> far more capable newsreader than is OE.

LOL! I only use OE with addons that make it a very good text-based
newsreader. For binaries, I use Agent.

And replying to ignoramuses and zealots take very little time at all.

> Here's a list (although unfortunately a bit dated)

As is most of the Linux documentation I've seen.

> of what's generally
> available for Windoze and their Linux equivalents:
>
> http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml
>
> Like I said -dated. Lots more great multimedia stuff available now
> that blows away anything available for Windoze - and free, btw.

Since I can't even boot to a Linux live CD distro what good is freeware
equivilents of software that I'm already using with Windows on a OS that
don't work on my computer?

Now you are gonna blame me, or my hardware, but the fact is, the lastest
versions of Windows desktop OS and Server OS actually work with my
computer. Linux does NOT!

Linux is not ready yet as a Windows replacement for the masses, and
until it is, it will be a server OS and an OS of geeks and hobbyists.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

NoStop
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
kurttrail wrote:

> As a server OS where it is a major player Linux is more often hacked the
> Windows Servers.
>
Found this that I think you should read. Far more informative than the FUD
article you pointed to.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

--

`,,`,,`,,``,,`
Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html

Michael Stevens
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
In news:uVsiyc3VFHA.628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
kurttrail <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> replied with a ;-)
> NoStop wrote:
>> kurttrail wrote:
>>
>>> Big opportunity missed. But MS, over the last five years or so,
>>> seems to be doing everything it can to move as many people as
>>> possible off of Windows as soon as there is a viable alternative OS.
>>>
>>> The bigger they are, the harder they fall, and MS's fall is gonna be
>>> nuclear, when a viable OS for the masses hits the market!
>>>
>> Yah, yah ... yawn ... broken record.
>
> LOL! Thanks for the warning! If you know you are a broken record,
> why to you keep going anyway?
>
>> The OS is here and has been for
>> some time.
>
> Unfortunately, it is mostly a server OS and a OS for hobbyists. It
> ain't ready for the average user, that has quite an investment in
> software for the Windows platform. Or for those that don't know there
> is a command line in Windows, let alone what to do with it. And Linux
> is still too tied to it's command line.
>
>> Tell me what you do with your computer that I cannot do
>> with mine?
>
> Watch HDTV with my ATI HDTV Wonder.
>
> Run the most of the games and software that I've bought over the last
> decade.
>
>> Just what do you use your computer for that makes it so
>> terribly wed to Windoze?
>
> Dude, Linux builds that are put on CD will not even boot to the
> desktop even with the hardware detection set to minimal on my PC.
>
>> I'd like to see your list of just what apps
>> YOU MUST run on that box of yours that only Windoze can run for you.
>> Other than all the virus and malware protection, which isn't required
>> in Linux.
>
> Yet.
>
> As a server OS where it is a major player Linux is more often hacked
> the Windows Servers.
>
> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39116229,00.htm
>
>> Seems like you spend most of your time in this newsgroup. Knode is a
>> far more capable newsreader than is OE.
>
> LOL! I only use OE with addons that make it a very good text-based
> newsreader. For binaries, I use Agent.
>
> And replying to ignoramuses and zealots take very little time at all.
>
>> Here's a list (although unfortunately a bit dated)
>
> As is most of the Linux documentation I've seen.
>
>> of what's generally
>> available for Windoze and their Linux equivalents:
>>
>> http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml
>>
>> Like I said -dated. Lots more great multimedia stuff available now
>> that blows away anything available for Windoze - and free, btw.
>
> Since I can't even boot to a Linux live CD distro what good is
> freeware equivilents of software that I'm already using with Windows
> on a OS that don't work on my computer?
>

<act like I snipped the above>

This is surprising. I wonder what piece of hardware is causing the problem?
Knoppix is a great tool and works on almost every computer I have tried it
on.

<and the below LOL>

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm


> Now you are gonna blame me, or my hardware, but the fact is, the
> lastest versions of Windows desktop OS and Server OS actually work
> with my computer. Linux does NOT!
>
> Linux is not ready yet as a Windows replacement for the masses, and
> until it is, it will be a server OS and an OS of geeks and hobbyists.

Winux P
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
After reading the link in its' entirety, how bad I now feel purchasing and
being forced to activate this product just so I can use it. What an insult
activation now seems. Even though I use a Linux distro as well (SuSE), I'll
never dismiss Linux users as wingers with out a solution any more
(previously I have in this news group), different kettle of fish I know. May
Microsoft Windows XP Pro and Home (and Server 2003) go off with the pirates
and use Factivation to get it working, knowing what the F stands for.

I don't hate Windows, I don't even thinks its' a bad OS after all. After
reading that webpage I can guess I'm one of those lucky persons that WinXP
and SP2 pro has never crashed on me and everything ends up working properly.
A feeling of distain tends to ferment in one after reading that article.
Great link NoStop, more than just a rant, and should be called something
other than IHateMS to get more serious users (licensees) and distributors of
the licence reading it.

You reckon Bill took the cake and ate it? See for yourself

http://www.microscum.com/bgzone/bgaando/

-Winux P.

"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
news:9IVge.1327466$8l.1323962@pd7tw1no...
: Al Smith wrote:
:
: > I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
: > saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
: > Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
: > high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
: > about Starter Edition since its inception.
: >
: > Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
: > Pay attention, now.
: >
: > Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
: > fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
: >
: > Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
:
: MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they
crippled
: XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP Pro has. In fact,
: there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to even have a HOME version.
: They could have just provided XP (Pro), lowered the price and sold just
: that one product.
:
: Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its idea
of
: "innovation".
:
: http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html
:
:
:
: --
:
: `,,`,,`,,``,,`
: Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
: Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
: http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html
:
:

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
NoStop wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> As a server OS where it is a major player Linux is more often hacked
>> the Windows Servers.
>>
> Found this that I think you should read. Far more informative than
> the FUD article you pointed to.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

It covers vulnerablities not actual servers being hacked.

And the Register as a credible source is like saying you are not a
Zealot.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Michael Stevens wrote:

> <act like I snipped the above>
>
> This is surprising. I wonder what piece of hardware is causing the
> problem? Knoppix is a great tool and works on almost every computer I
> have tried it on.
>
> <and the below LOL>

Tried it, v3.8.1, and it fails in about 5 seconds normally, and about 7
seconds with a failsafe boot that turnoff almost all hardware detection.
It is not a bad CD as it does work in another computer.

Now add that many average would have a hard time setting up and using
Linux on all the varying hardware, and add to that that every major
distro variation has different command line commands for things getting
updates, and the average user doesn't even know how to use the command
line in Windows, Linux is not ready for my mom, my personal messure of
the average computer user.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Winux P wrote:
> After reading the link in its' entirety, how bad I now feel
> purchasing and being forced to activate this product just so I can
> use it. What an insult activation now seems. Even though I use a
> Linux distro as well (SuSE), I'll never dismiss Linux users as
> wingers with out a solution any more (previously I have in this news
> group), different kettle of fish I know. May Microsoft Windows XP Pro
> and Home (and Server 2003) go off with the pirates and use
> Factivation to get it working, knowing what the F stands for.
>
> I don't hate Windows, I don't even thinks its' a bad OS after all.
> After reading that webpage I can guess I'm one of those lucky persons
> that WinXP and SP2 pro has never crashed on me and everything ends up
> working properly. A feeling of distain tends to ferment in one after
> reading that article. Great link NoStop, more than just a rant, and
> should be called something other than IHateMS to get more serious
> users (licensees) and distributors of the licence reading it.

Waaaay more than a rant. This guy not only did a ton of research, but he can
really write. He puts most professional writers to shame, and his first
language is not English.
I agree, the title should be "The Microsoft Story," or something more
neutral, as it is an accurate and revealing history and not one you will
read in Time Magazine.
http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html

> You reckon Bill took the cake and ate it? See for yourself
>
> http://www.microscum.com/bgzone/bgaando/
>
> -Winux P.
>
> "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
> news:9IVge.1327466$8l.1323962@pd7tw1no...
>> Al Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
>>> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
>>> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
>>> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
>>> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>>>
>>> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
>>> Pay attention, now.
>>>
>>> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
>>> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>>>
>>> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
>>
>> MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they
>> crippled XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP
>> Pro has. In fact, there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to even
>> have a HOME version. They could have just provided XP (Pro), lowered
>> the price and sold just that one product.
>>
>> Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its
>> idea of "innovation".
>>
>> http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> `,,`,,`,,``,,`
>> Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
>> Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
>> http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html

HeyBub
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Al Smith wrote:
> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>
> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
> Pay attention, now.
>
> Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows
> Starter Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped
> down version of Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who
> complains about Windows bloat would have flocked to the stores to
> buy it. Everyone who needs a second copy of Windows on their
> second computer would buy it. Parents would buy it for their kids.
> People would buy it to run on older systems that have less resources.

Maybe you should take marketing 101. It is universal practice, in most
businesses, to release the high-end model first. If people are willing to
pay $300 for a product, give them the chance. After the pool of everybody
who is willing to pay $300 is exhausted, lower the price to $200 and give
the next group a chance.

In recent decades, Polaroid was the exemplar of this technique.

If your universe of potential buyers is evenly divided between
$300/$200/$100 purchasers and there are 30 million of them, by initially
offering the product at $100 you lose (10million x $200 + 10million x $100)
or $3 billion.

Had Micros~1 done it your way, I, as a stockholder, would have pitched a
hissy fit.

[...]

> My final remarks concerning Windows Starter Edition, Mr. Gates:
> dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Which is why it would probably be useless for you to apply for a marketing
position at Micros~1.

NoStop
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Winux P wrote:

> Great link NoStop, more than just a rant, and should be called
> something other than IHateMS to get more serious users (licensees) and
> distributors of the licence reading it.
>
I agree that a renaming of the article would be more attractive in terms of
getting more Windows users to read it all. But, it is his "rant" and that
was his intention. :-)

You might be interested in reading an article outlining the myths of the
Windows vs Linux security debates found here ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

This too should help you overcome your previous perceptions of "Linux users
as wingers".

--

`,,`,,`,,``,,`
Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
I have read "most" the article and to a point, I agree.

But then again, tires have been round and made of a rubbery substance for
over 100 years. I guess there has been no innovation in tires either! Every
manufacturer borrows from someone else.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:u4xdER3VFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> NoStop wrote:
>> Al Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
>>> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
>>> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
>>> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
>>> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>>>
>>> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
>>> Pay attention, now.
>>>
>>> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
>>> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>>>
>>> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
>>
>> MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they
>> crippled XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP Pro
>> has. In fact, there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to even have
>> a HOME version. They could have just provided XP (Pro), lowered the
>> price and sold just that one product.
>>
>> Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its
>> idea of "innovation".
>>
>> http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html
>
> The article you cite is awesome.
> Please continue to post the link. Every Windows user ought to know the
> facts.
>
>

Bob I
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
NoStop wrote:


>
> This too should help you overcome your previous perceptions of "Linux users
> as wingers".
>
That is "WHINERS"

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
An analogy that compares a tire to an OS?


Richard Urban wrote:
> I have read "most" the article and to a point, I agree.
>
> But then again, tires have been round and made of a rubbery substance
> for over 100 years. I guess there has been no innovation in tires
> either! Every manufacturer borrows from someone else.
>
>
> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> news:u4xdER3VFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> NoStop wrote:
>>> Al Smith wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
>>>> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
>>>> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
>>>> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
>>>> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>>>>
>>>> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
>>>> Pay attention, now.
>>>>
>>>> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
>>>> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>>>>
>>>> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
>>>
>>> MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they
>>> crippled XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP
>>> Pro has. In fact, there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to
>>> even have a HOME version. They could have just provided XP (Pro),
>>> lowered the price and sold just that one product.
>>>
>>> Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its
>>> idea of "innovation".
>>>
>>> http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html
>>
>> The article you cite is awesome.
>> Please continue to post the link. Every Windows user ought to know
>> the facts.

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
The analogy is industry borrowing from industry. I would guess that 90% of
all computer programs available today, no matter who markets them, have been
built upon what others have done before.

That includes the latest and greatest from Apple! And Linux is derived from
what? Did I hear you say Unix?

So what's the difference ? NONE!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:%23lkVBj9VFHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> An analogy that compares a tire to an OS?
>
>
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> I have read "most" the article and to a point, I agree.
>>
>> But then again, tires have been round and made of a rubbery substance
>> for over 100 years. I guess there has been no innovation in tires
>> either! Every manufacturer borrows from someone else.
>>
>>
>> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
>> news:u4xdER3VFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> NoStop wrote:
>>>> Al Smith wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
>>>>> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
>>>>> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
>>>>> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
>>>>> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
>>>>> Pay attention, now.
>>>>>
>>>>> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
>>>>> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>>>>>
>>>>> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
>>>>
>>>> MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they
>>>> crippled XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP
>>>> Pro has. In fact, there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to
>>>> even have a HOME version. They could have just provided XP (Pro),
>>>> lowered the price and sold just that one product.
>>>>
>>>> Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its
>>>> idea of "innovation".
>>>>
>>>> http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html
>>>
>>> The article you cite is awesome.
>>> Please continue to post the link. Every Windows user ought to know
>>> the facts.
>
>
>

NoStop
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Richard Urban wrote:

> And Linux is derived
> from what? Did I hear you say Unix?
>
No it is NOT derived from Unix.

--

`,,`,,`,,``,,`
Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Go here! http://www.linux.org/. What does the very first sentence say? How
about if I quote it here!


Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus
Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world.


So, you see, even the great Linus Torvalds "borrowed" his idea from someone
else.

Now don't cry! It happens everyday. There is "nothing new under the sun"!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
news:mp5he.1339255$6l.236133@pd7tw2no...
> Richard Urban wrote:
>
>> And Linux is derived
>> from what? Did I hear you say Unix?
>>
> No it is NOT derived from Unix.
>
> --
>
> `,,`,,`,,``,,`
> Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses are small and efficient.
> Legal Notice And Disclaimer:
> http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/legal.html
>
>

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Richard Urban wrote:
> Go here! http://www.linux.org/. What does the very first sentence
> say? How about if I quote it here!
>
>
> Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus
> Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world.
>
>
> So, you see, even the great Linus Torvalds "borrowed" his idea from
> someone else.
>
> Now don't cry! It happens everyday. There is "nothing new under the
> sun"!

Exactly where is "under the sun?"

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
I think you have found it. It's along the "Trail".

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:%23Oa0gx%23VFHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> Go here! http://www.linux.org/. What does the very first sentence
>> say? How about if I quote it here!
>>
>>
>> Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus
>> Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world.
>>
>>
>> So, you see, even the great Linus Torvalds "borrowed" his idea from
>> someone else.
>>
>> Now don't cry! It happens everyday. There is "nothing new under the
>> sun"!
>
> Exactly where is "under the sun?"
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>

Al Smith
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
>>Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows
>>> Starter Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped
>>> down version of Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who
>>> complains about Windows bloat would have flocked to the stores to
>>> buy it. Everyone who needs a second copy of Windows on their
>>> second computer would buy it. Parents would buy it for their kids.
>>> People would buy it to run on older systems that have less resources.
>
>
> Maybe you should take marketing 101. It is universal practice, in most
> businesses, to release the high-end model first. If people are willing to
> pay $300 for a product, give them the chance. After the pool of everybody
> who is willing to pay $300 is exhausted, lower the price to $200 and give
> the next group a chance.

I think there's a real demand for a Windows XP Lite version
deliberately designed to use as few resources as possible.
Something similar to the idea of XP Home, but carried further
along, and sold for around fifty dollars. It wouldn't compete with
XP Pro, it would open a new market. I was excited when I heard
about the Windows Starter Edition, until I learned how crippled it
is. It could have been the Lite version I've been waiting for.

Hell, I'm running something like it right now. I've got ninety
percent of the services in XP Pro turned off. Am I missing them?
No, not once. I'm using the Classic theme, and as far as I'm
concerned the XP themes might as well not exist, since I have no
intention of ever using them. I've got the sounds turned off. Do I
miss them? Never. I don't use Internet Explorer or Outlook
Express. Instead I use Mozilla. As far as I'm concerned, Internet
Explorer might as well not be there, other than as a shell running
under the surface that handles necessary tasks. Same with Outlook
Express -- I don't use it and don't need it. Do I need Media
Player. No, I hardly ever use it. If it weren't there, I'd never
miss it.

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
That's just you Al.

I can see it now! Buford Pussy goes to the local computer store and comes
home with a $199.00 computer. He's as happy as a pig rollin in shit. He
plugs it in and fetches a music CD to play. That's when he finds there is no
CD player. Doesn't matter though because there is no built in support to
play the CD even if there was a player. Then he figures he will hook up an
external player. Oops! His $199 special only has one USB port and that is
used by the mouse.

So he decides to type a letter. Goes to hook up the printer. Oops! Got to
disconnect the mouse to connect the printer. Now Buford is in a bind because
he can't navigate to commence printing!

And it goes downhill from there!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
news:Cs9he.12545$Ph4.438018@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>>Microsoft missed an enormous business opportunity with Windows
>>>> Starter Edition. The basic idea was golden. Sell a lean, stripped
>>>> down version of Windows at a lower cost. Brilliant! Everyone who
>>>> complains about Windows bloat would have flocked to the stores to
>>>> buy it. Everyone who needs a second copy of Windows on their
>>>> second computer would buy it. Parents would buy it for their kids.
>>>> People would buy it to run on older systems that have less resources.
>>
>>
>> Maybe you should take marketing 101. It is universal practice, in most
>> businesses, to release the high-end model first. If people are willing to
>> pay $300 for a product, give them the chance. After the pool of everybody
>> who is willing to pay $300 is exhausted, lower the price to $200 and give
>> the next group a chance.
>
> I think there's a real demand for a Windows XP Lite version deliberately
> designed to use as few resources as possible. Something similar to the
> idea of XP Home, but carried further along, and sold for around fifty
> dollars. It wouldn't compete with XP Pro, it would open a new market. I
> was excited when I heard about the Windows Starter Edition, until I
> learned how crippled it is. It could have been the Lite version I've been
> waiting for.
>
> Hell, I'm running something like it right now. I've got ninety percent of
> the services in XP Pro turned off. Am I missing them? No, not once. I'm
> using the Classic theme, and as far as I'm concerned the XP themes might
> as well not exist, since I have no intention of ever using them. I've got
> the sounds turned off. Do I miss them? Never. I don't use Internet
> Explorer or Outlook Express. Instead I use Mozilla. As far as I'm
> concerned, Internet Explorer might as well not be there, other than as a
> shell running under the surface that handles necessary tasks. Same with
> Outlook Express -- I don't use it and don't need it. Do I need Media
> Player. No, I hardly ever use it. If it weren't there, I'd never miss it.

NobodyMan
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
On Fri, 13 May 2005 04:05:25 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>Al Smith wrote:
>
>> I'm reading Slashdot, as I often do, and I come across a story
>> saying that the Windows XP Starter Edition won't run on P4 or
>> Athlon computers. It has been deliberately crippled not to run on
>> high-end machines. This merely confirms what has been obvious
>> about Starter Edition since its inception.
>>
>> Bill Gates, are you reading this? This post is for you, Mr. Gates.
>> Pay attention, now.
>>
>> Then what does your company do? It shoots itself in the foot. In
>> fact, it shoots off all its toes one by one.
>>
>> Microsoft deliberately *cripples* Starter Edition, insuring that
>
>MickeyMouse has a history of crippling software. Just look how they crippled
>XP Home, when it could easily have contained all that XP Pro has. In fact,
>there was NO REASON, other than marketing, to even have a HOME version.
>They could have just provided XP (Pro), lowered the price and sold just
>that one product.
>
>Read the history here of MickeyMouse and you'll see that this is its idea of
>"innovation".
>
>http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html

So has spoken the grumpy linux bastard.

You never have answered my question: why do you post here?

Al Smith
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
> I can see it now! Buford Pussy goes to the local computer store and comes
> home with a $199.00 computer. He's as happy as a pig rollin in shit. He
> plugs it in and fetches a music CD to play. That's when he finds there is no
> CD player. Doesn't matter though because there is no built in support to
> play the CD even if there was a player. Then he figures he will hook up an
> external player. Oops! His $199 special only has one USB port and that is
> used by the mouse.
>
> So he decides to type a letter. Goes to hook up the printer. Oops! Got to
> disconnect the mouse to connect the printer. Now Buford is in a bind because
> he can't navigate to commence printing!
>
> And it goes downhill from there!

Dang, that Buford's stupid. He doesn't deserve a computer.

Michael Stevens
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
In news:us4kDg7VFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
kurttrail <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> replied with a ;-)
> Michael Stevens wrote:
>
>> <act like I snipped the above>
>>
>> This is surprising. I wonder what piece of hardware is causing the
>> problem? Knoppix is a great tool and works on almost every computer I
>> have tried it on.
>>
>> <and the below LOL>
>
> Tried it, v3.8.1, and it fails in about 5 seconds normally, and about
> 7 seconds with a failsafe boot that turnoff almost all hardware
> detection. It is not a bad CD as it does work in another computer.
>
> Now add that many average would have a hard time setting up and using
> Linux on all the varying hardware, and add to that that every major
> distro variation has different command line commands for things
> getting updates, and the average user doesn't even know how to use
> the command line in Windows, Linux is not ready for my mom, my
> personal messure of the average computer user.

Your mom's measure is very viable, but the competition is really making huge
leaps in closing the gap. I have been stunned with a few of the competitions
bistro's ease of use and I only see this as a healthy development for the
consumer.
Competition always improves the product and it filters down to the consumer.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

kurttrail
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Michael Stevens wrote:
> In news:us4kDg7VFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> kurttrail <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> replied with a
> ;-)
>> Michael Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> <act like I snipped the above>
>>>
>>> This is surprising. I wonder what piece of hardware is causing the
>>> problem? Knoppix is a great tool and works on almost every computer
>>> I have tried it on.
>>>
>>> <and the below LOL>
>>
>> Tried it, v3.8.1, and it fails in about 5 seconds normally, and about
>> 7 seconds with a failsafe boot that turnoff almost all hardware
>> detection. It is not a bad CD as it does work in another computer.
>>
>> Now add that many average would have a hard time setting up and using
>> Linux on all the varying hardware, and add to that that every major
>> distro variation has different command line commands for things
>> getting updates, and the average user doesn't even know how to use
>> the command line in Windows, Linux is not ready for my mom, my
>> personal messure of the average computer user.
>
> Your mom's measure is very viable, but the competition is really
> making huge leaps in closing the gap. I have been stunned with a few
> of the competitions bistro's ease of use and I only see this as a
> healthy development for the consumer.
> Competition always improves the product and it filters down to the
> consumer.

Are you falling into the same trap as the LinTroll?

I have no problem with Linux, I expect soon it will be much easier for
the average computer user. It is much easier today than a couple of
years ago, but it isn't quite ready yet.

The LinTroll is only here to be disruptive, not help. His misplaced
LinAdvocacy is off-topic, and could be very bad for those noobs here
that could be taken in by it. Most of them are here cause they are too
morin to even run Windows, and if they can't do that, then they'll
probably have many more problems with Linux.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Bob I
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately, people spent more time on planning the purchase of a
microwave oven that they will only use the "minute plus button" on, than
the PC they buy.

Al Smith wrote:

>> I can see it now! Buford Pussy goes to the local computer store and
>> comes home with a $199.00 computer. He's as happy as a pig rollin in
>> shit. He plugs it in and fetches a music CD to play. That's when he
>> finds there is no CD player. Doesn't matter though because there is no
>> built in support to play the CD even if there was a player. Then he
>> figures he will hook up an external player. Oops! His $199 special
>> only has one USB port and that is used by the mouse.
>>
>> So he decides to type a letter. Goes to hook up the printer. Oops! Got
>> to disconnect the mouse to connect the printer. Now Buford is in a
>> bind because he can't navigate to commence printing!
>>
>> And it goes downhill from there!
>
>
> Dang, that Buford's stupid. He doesn't deserve a computer.


Windows XP Starter Edition: attention, Mr. Bill Gates